Brexit: The fallout

17,381 posts in this topic

Joe Biden Hints At No Trade Deal Unless The UK Rejoins The EU

New American President, Joe Biden, unlike his predecessor Donald Trump, is anti-Brexit and has always said that he will prefer to do trade deals with the EU bloc, as opposed to doing a special deal with the UK.

Now, it would appear that Boris Johnson’s dreams of drawing up a trade deal between the US and the UK will not come true, as the 78-year-old Biden has stated he doesn’t want to form any new trade deals with anybody until he has first secured domestic investent.

Ben Harris-Quinney, a former foreign policy adviser to the UK and EU, and the chairman of the independent Bow Group think-tank, told Express.co.uk, “We have a President who will consider the EU, not Britain, to be his closest ally, and ultimately will want Britain to rejoin the EU in the future”.

3 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

Was it ever going to happen though?

My understanding as that any trade deal would have to go through congress, the word from there (as said and reported over time9 was that congress would not approve any trade deal if brexit put the GFA in danger. Trump couldn't force anything through, it would always come down to congress.

Trump losing as he did really only stopped the government and brexit supporters saying 'Trump will give us' to make the easily led people a good feeling (this is a group of people that on one had listen to people saying we are all string and later saying we really need a trade deal with the US, and they just nod).

The risk is that Biden starts to go to Germany or France instead of the UK and this makes the government look bad. This could spell the end of several pollical careers and a lot of people to lose their shit as they realize that we are a country like a lot of others, we are part of a pot (of successful countries) but by no means head and shoulders above the rest.

It could even cause a national crisis... I'd like to see BJ try to bluster his way through that.

Brexit: Dutch warehouse boom as UK firms forced to invest abroad

Thousands of small businesses have been plunged into crisis by the UK’s departure from the EU, with exports to the continent collapsing because of delays at ports, increased shipping costs, and the sudden addition of VAT, customs duties, and in some cases tariffs, on shipments sent from the UK to customers within the bloc

6411.jpg?width=460&quality=85&auto=forma

Many have been left with no option but to invest in distribution networks within the EU, and the Dutch logistics industry is reaping the rewards.

Netherlands logistics companies have been flooded with calls for help, while the number of British companies searching for a base in the country has doubled in the last 18 months, the Netherlands Foreign Investment Agency (NFIA) said on Tuesday. The agency has a list of more than 500 global firms considering investing in the Netherlands because of Brexit – half of which are UK companies.

The model train maker Hornby and clothing retailer JD Sports are among those thought to be considering warehousing in the Netherlands.

It seems that the only countries benefiting from brexit are those in the EU...

16 hours ago, hellfire99 said:

What did he say about not having dealings with them Europeans? 

I have not heard that one.

Ok , Let's be pedantic. 

Farage wanted to end freedom of movement, and all that involves. Lots of Europeans coming to the UK and lots of Brits working and living in the EU. 

That would tend to reduce alot of contact between Brits and other Europeans, do you not agree?  Stopping Erasmus, I assume he was in favour of, but correct me if I'm wrong.  

Just struck me as slightly questionable being on private business in the German Embassy, when he is so keen to cut down on others having dealings in Europe. 

3 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

Brexit: Dutch warehouse boom as UK firms forced to invest abroad

It seems that the only countries benefiting from brexit are those in the EU...

Which is why Brexit supporters are going from crying in their milk, to crying for help, for attention and trying to to talk about anything else including Biden.

Weak minded followers who didn't get what they thought they would and are throwing their toys around in frustration.

It's worth a chuckle. Stick your pet lip out and go 'now now, it's not that bad, you were dumb enough to fall for all this but at least your good comedy value'. 

3 hours ago, alexunterwegs said:

Just struck me as slightly questionable being on private business in the German Embassy, when he is so keen to cut down on others having dealings in Europe. 

Well since his first and second wife are Irish and German resp. it seems very unlikely he would have said something about not having dealings with Europeans. Also since both his children by his second marriage have dual British and German nationality that  might well explain his private business at the German Embassy.

14 hours ago, cb6dba said:

Which is why Brexit supporters are going from crying in their milk, to crying for help, for attention and trying to to talk about anything else including Biden.

I was promised disaster capitalism and a falling GBP.   I was promised heaps of human waste by posters with an unhealthy enthusiasm for scatological references.   Food, medicine, and everything else was going to pile up on the border checkpoints. 

🤡

18 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Well since his first and second wife are Irish and German resp. it seems very unlikely he would have said something about not having dealings with Europeans. Also since both his children by his second marriage have dual British and German nationality that  might well explain his private business at the German Embassy.

Ok, clearly there won't be zero dealings with Europeans, but Brexit is obviously intended to drastically reduce or complicate contacts.

I'm aware he was married to a German, but he's not the only Brit in a mixed EU marriage/partnership. That is one of the major problems caused by the hard Brexit Mr Farage promoted.  It will leave lots of couples with very difficult choices, also involving elderly relatives and their children. He may be fortunate enough to find a way around the problems he helped cause, whereas many won't.  

1 minute ago, alexunterwegs said:

Ok, clearly there won't be zero dealings with Europeans, but Brexit is obviously intended to drastically reduce or complicate contacts.

I'm aware he was married to a German, but he's not the only Brit in a mixed EU marriage/partnership. That is one of the major problems caused by the hard Brexit Mr Farage promoted.  It will leave lots of couples with very difficult choices, also involving elderly relatives and their children. He may be fortunate enough to find a way around the problems he helped cause, whereas many won't.  

Which is why some people have a issues with it. His kids can still use their rights to work anywhere in the EU as EU citizens, he has been part of a campaign that has removed that from a lot of other kids who do not have family ties to EU countries.

Personally I always thought he pushed all this to get away from his family and to get a cheap divorce. That and having an alleged affair with a French woman seems to have done the trick (at least to get away from his family).

Add in that, as far as I know, he will not be refusing his EU MEP pension (I think he was interviewed about that and he said 'haven't I suffered enough')  just hints that he is happy to do all this as long as it pretty much just happens to other people.

Anyone with any kind of character who has spent years saying an organization is corrupt does not take money from said organization. if they do it

just says 'well, what I'm saying is to get all you to believe something I don't actually believe myself, to invoke an emotional response to make you all a bit more receptive to my ideas. Otherwise you may stop listening to me and i'd have to go back to my old job'..

Or maybe he wants  anew job in the media in another country?  

Since it would pain me far too much to try and defend Nigel Farage any further than I did earlier, I will say no more than the previous two posts are totally speculative sensationalism rubbish and are anyway unworthy of any further response.

The stinking pile of human waste of a deal negotiated by (given to) Johnson continues to destroy entire export sectors of British industry:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AngusMacNeilSNP/status/1354198388368158726

80% reduction in chickens exports to the EU from GB. Where is it going instead? To the rendering plant of course! And the producers are paying to have previously valuable product rendered into animal feed. Too much winning for me.

If it wasn't for Covid, Johnson would have absolutely nowhere to hide. He must be thanking his lucky stars for the pandemic the fucking cunt.

10 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Since it would pain me far too much to try and defend Nigel Farage any further than I did earlier, I will say no more than the previous two posts are totally speculative sensationalism rubbish and are anyway unworthy of any further response.

I believe he answered he was on private business at the German Embassy, and so any further suggestions are bound to be speculative. In 99.9% of cases private business should mean just that, but Mr Farage puts himself into a different category. 

Maybe he had some noble cause to be there like wanting to donate to the institue for German culture, but normally you only would visit a foreign embassy if you wanted something from them, such as a passport, visa or some kind of licence or permission. Given his position in promoting all the new restrictions in travel, visa restrictions, ability to work etc., he should have been more open.  Otherwise he's left himself open to speculation.  

7 minutes ago, alexunterwegs said:

Otherwise he's left himself open to speculation. 

No speculation needed about this point:

farage_twat.jpg.dc9c69f76cbeaaf854e9e552

Yes, I know it's fake, but that doesn't mean it's inaccurate.

farage_twat_2.jpg.f22436d4b4c4a701882d60

31 minutes ago, murphaph said:

He's a twat but he managed to con millions including a few on here. He's good at what he does. 

Of course he is. Can't be named Twat of the Year if you're not good at it.

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

He's a twat but he managed to con millions including a few on here. He's good at what he does. 

All we can do in such cases is to hope the intelligence of people win through and they either ignore or see through the person.

Quite some things found wanting the last four or five years.

Maybe Trump is gong to be on the look out for a shower over the next few years. I wonder what he'll make that out of...??