Brexit: The fallout

17,381 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

I saw a headline earlier saying a brexit party (or UKIP) MEP has had her fishing business pretty much destroyed by the brexit deal.

If it's true it defo falls under my 'is ok to laugh at as it's self caused consequences'.

Yup, it's June Mummery, the ex-Brexit Party MEP who owns a seafood company and campaigned on the benefits Brexit would hold for the fishing industry. Now she's complaining about Johnson’s deal which will leave her with “no fish” and a business rapidly going down the swanee...

1 hour ago, john_b said:

Yup, it's June Mummery, the ex-Brexit Party MEP who owns a seafood company and campaigned on the benefits Brexit would hold for the fishing industry. Now she's complaining about Johnson’s deal which will leave her with “no fish” and a business rapidly going down the swanee...

Oh, the poor luv.

Someone play her this:

telegraph had a piece on how Biden should accept brexit.

Seems we can only be sovereign when the US president lets us play in his garden.

As a sovereign country, the US can have it's own views and if push came to shove, we'd do our best to keep them happy.

47 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Brexit and the UK is probably way down Biden's list of priorities at the moment.

I'd also think he has more important things to del with.

That however doesn't sell as much drama and papers. 

The language is disgusting. It doesn't say "You can...". It's literally an instruction. Shades of 1930s Germany.

Settle down, murphaph! Have you never got a letter from the Finanzamt? Nothing to do with 1930s Germany.

6 minutes ago, john g. said:

Settle down, murphaph! Have you never got a letter from the Finanzamt? Nothing to do with 1930s Germany.

I've had several, none inviting me to leave the country. 

Blimey, convoluting two issues. If you happened to be an EU citizen wanting to stay in the UK, then yes, you'd need to use the settlement scheme. That scheme allows EU citizens to continue to live and work in the UK. The other article just sets out that now EU citizens are able to benefit from a scheme to return to the EU, pursuant to which the UK pays for flights and some other costs. So, to paraphrase the UK government (of which I am absolutely no sort of supporter) is saying to EU citizens: "here's a website to use if you want to stay here, but if you don't, here's another scheme you can use to fund your return to your home country." Suggesting that approach is like 1930s Germany is insulting to a variety of groups on a variety of levels. 

49 minutes ago, pappnase said:

Jesus, has it really come to this.

pic.png

From your Guardian article. 

People working to help vulnerable EU citizens in the UK said the offer of money to return home contradicted the government’s claim that it was doing everything it could to encourage people to register for settled status. The deadline for Europeans living in the UK to apply for the EU settlement scheme (EUSS) is 30 June.

Benjamin Morgan, who runs the EU homeless rights project at the Public Interest Law Centre, said: “It is clear from our casework that some of the most vulnerable EU citizens are yet to resolve their status. Barriers to application and delays in Home Office decision-making remain significant factors.

I can't for the life of me think why the UK would not want the EU's homeless on the UK's streets, can you?  

And, the UK has more than accommodated and encouraged people to register short of paying them to do it. How long have they had to apply, again, @pappnase?  How many have applied and received EUSS? 

And what are these barriers to application?  Illiteracy, drug addiction or no education? 

There is always gonna be an element of social detritus that no country wants and the UK is no exception. 

A Home Office spokesperson said: “Some people may choose not to obtain status under EUSS and may not wish to remain in the UK after the deadline. That is why we have written to stakeholders to inform them that EEA nationals who wish to leave the UK may now be eligible for support to help them do so under the voluntary returns scheme.”

So, bung them 2 grand and tell them to Foxtrot Oscar. 

Sorry to be so blunt but that's how it works. 

If you don't believe me look at the stats for the EU trying to pay off them refugees.

The European countries that pay migrants the most to go home  (Quartz, 15.01.18)

Germany’s offer to pay rejected asylum seekers up to €1,000 ($1226) for individuals and €3,000 for families, to go home sparked condemnation and praise. But Europe’s economic powerhouse, which took in one million refugees in 2015, is by no means the first or only European country to take this approach.

A combination of the European commission’s 2015 report (pdf) on cash offered for migrants who voluntarily return home and updated government policies reveal that Sweden—offering individuals up to €3050 in cash and families €7620—had the most generous offer in the European Union (EU). Spain and UK come in joint-second place, offering migrants a cash payment of €2,000. Finland was in third place, offering individual migrants €1,500.

home.JPG.58cbebbe72f6ffc228e5d3e3756160c

11 minutes ago, murphaph said:

The language is disgusting. It doesn't say "You can...". It's literally an instruction. Shades of 1930s Germany.

😂

1930s Germany?

Mate, you really are mental! 

On 1/22/2021, 11:49:53, Wulfrun said:

Ironic, as Sunderland voted to leave...

You didn't read the article and that there shows it. 

Well done you silly old fool! 

5 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

nissan.jpg.6666d6288f5e17a04a2155c496620

Again, you didn't carry out due diligence and read the article. 

160 jobs to go at Nissan Sunderland plant as challenges continue for car makers  (Chronicle live, 26.01.21)

Washington and Sunderland West MP Sharon Hodgson, whose constituency includes in the Nissan plant, said: I am very concerned to hear the news that Nissan is consulting on around 160 job losses - a near 18% reduction in its office-based workforce.

"I have been told that these reductions are not related to either Covid or Brexit impacts, but that is no relief to the workers whose livelihoods are at risk.

"I will be speaking with Nissan and the unions on this matter as soon as possible.”

Switch on, mate. 

On 1/17/2021, 1:25:44, cb6dba said:

It's some serious self loathing that makes a person want others to do badly so they don't fell as bad about themselves.

It's a pretty stupid way to measure yourself but it tends to be all some people have got.

On 1/25/2021, 9:51:43, cb6dba said:

I saw a headline earlier saying a brexit party (or UKIP) MEP has had her fishing business pretty much destroyed by the brexit deal.

If it's true it defo falls under my 'is ok to laugh at as it's self caused consequences'.

Now that you know you have self loathing issues you can begin the journey to recovery, cb6dba. 

Good luck!

:lol:

p.s.  Any update on the big car-park in Kent that aroused you so much? 

On 1/17/2021, 3:53:10, alexunterwegs said:

Isn't Farage the bloke who was seen queuing up at the German Embassy for some undisclosed private business?  The man who tells us we shouldn't be having all these dealings with Europeans.

What did he say about not having dealings with them Europeans? 

I have not heard that one.

Go on, let rip, you know you want to! 

On 1/17/2021, 6:54:41, HEM said:

(you can put almost anything into fish pie which I have made several times & is extremely lecker...)

On 1/17/2021, 7:04:21, Keleth said:

I can`t abide fish or any type or seafood which Germans seem to find highly amusing as I`m English.

Come to think of it though everyone I knew in England used to love fish.

On 1/17/2021, 7:09:19, john g. said:

Same here, Keleth!😂

I still support the Shrimpers, though! ( Not a wise choice in life, I know!)

On 1/17/2021, 9:01:03, cb6dba said:

For me it depends very much on the way the fish is done.

I like it cooked, as in fried.

Thick Brits in EUrope not getting the best out of their fish! 

Just kidding, as you were! 

On 1/17/2021, 9:15:23, optimista said:

I think that's the problem. It's all some people know. Time to educate the masses... remember those public information films in the 70s...?

I tried French food once but I thought it was shit. 

I was trying to pick something out of a shell that looked like a snot!

Eurgh! 

Fish fingers please! 

On 1/18/2021, 12:17:09, yesterday said:

What gets me, is when you ask a pro leaver, why will Britain be better off outside the EU, it basally comes down to We are British the best country in the world and we will succeed once freed from the EU.

A lot of people really believe this

Can you tel me your sample size?

Anecdotal evidence from a befuddle old fart, I think. 

On 1/18/2021, 12:35:50, El Jeffo said:

Bit too much to drink Jeff, eh!

<wink, wink>

1 hour ago, cb6dba said:

I've had several, none inviting me to leave the country. 

It's not even as polite as that! An invitation would say "Consider applying to the settlement scheme" or "Why not apply to the settlement scheme".

The wording actually chosen is not a suggestion but an instruction.

The hostile environment hasn't gone away. It's gotten worse.

Hi Everyone, 

As my flight back to the UK was cancelled on 19th December and there was no BREXIT deal at that time I chose to become a resident of Bansin. Now I am trying to find out if I have the right to remain a director and shareholder of an English Limited Company. 

So far the British Business Services have suggested I ask Companies House. My email to them remains unanswered 

So is a British Citizen resident in Germany allowed to remain a Director of an English Company? 

Can I remain a, shareholder?

Currently I still have a home in Bournemouth which was my primary home until 21st December. 

Finally can an English company continue to own land in Germany? 

BREXIT is a disaster.