Brexit: The fallout

17,381 posts in this topic

"What is truly alarming is that there are rumours of a secret pact between our duplicitous government and Nissan that involves not just the £61 million bung in state aid, but also a commitment to cut workers’ rights as a way to compensate Nissan for extra customs costs. If this is true, it is truly despicable, and means the fight to save workers’ rights is lost before it has started."

Yesterday I watched a video on youtube by the German WDR about the people behind the Brexit.

I can't give the youtube link since I don't have access now, however, here is the WDR link: "Hard Brexit the coup of a riche elite"

Only in German, no subtitles.

https://www.ardmediathek.de/wdr/video/die-story/hard-brexit-der-coup-der-reichen-elite/wdr-fernsehen/Y3JpZDovL3dkci5kZS9CZWl0cmFnLTZiYjk3MGY0LTgyNGYtNDU3NC1hMDA1LTNmNzk2YmM4MmZmYw/

Not only workers rights will be disposed of, also a lot of other "stuff".

I guess also the NHS will be history in 10 years.

If the Nissan story is true it's almost incredible. I'll reserve judgement on that one until I see some harder evidence but if true then every traditional labour voter that went Tory needs to take a long hard look at what their votes have enabled.

23 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

"What is truly alarming is that there are rumours of a secret pact between our duplicitous government and Nissan that involves not just the £61 million bung in state aid, but also a commitment to cut workers’ rights as a way to compensate Nissan for extra customs costs. If this is true, it is truly despicable, and means the fight to save workers’ rights is lost before it has started."

Yesterday I watched a video on youtube by the German WDR about the people behind the Brexit.

I can't give the youtube link since I don't have access now, however, here is the WDR link: "Hard Brexit the coup of a riche elite"

Only in German, no subtitles.

https://www.ardmediathek.de/wdr/video/die-story/hard-brexit-der-coup-der-reichen-elite/wdr-fernsehen/Y3JpZDovL3dkci5kZS9CZWl0cmFnLTZiYjk3MGY0LTgyNGYtNDU3NC1hMDA1LTNmNzk2YmM4MmZmYw/

Not only workers rights will be disposed of, also a lot of other "stuff".

Wouldn't that beak the whole level playing field thing?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55786974

A Government Department recommends to UK businesses that they set up in Europe to avoid the problems of extra bureaucracy and charges due to Brexit, but go onto say "its not Government policy". You couldn't make it up!  Must be highly embarassing for them. Either that or they just don't get embarassed. 

Mastercard to quintuple fees for purchases from the EU.

Credit card giant Mastercard is to raise the fees it charges merchants when UK cardholders buy goods and services from the EU by fivefold.

It has sparked fears that consumer prices could rise if merchants choose to pass on those costs, especially on items not available from UK retailers.

Transactions with airlines, hotels, car rentals and holiday firms based in the EU could all be affected.

Mastercard attributed the move to the UK's decision to leave the EU.

So. Much. Winning.

4 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

There are a number of Conservatives (and small-c conservatives in the likes of the Brexit/Reform Party) who have long thought that the NHS needs to go. Daniel Hannan was once again talking about this in a new interview - this time coming at it from a different angle rather than his usual cries of it being against core Conservative free-market values - where he was comparing CoViD restrictions to the NHS, saying that the NHS was supposed to be a short-term post-war measure and it's still here, so there is a danger that CoViD measures and reduced freedoms may also not be rolled back because the NHS never was.

20 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

So much and so hard... It's like has never been seen before.

15 minutes ago, Mackle said:

There are a number of Conservatives (and small-c conservatives in the likes of the Brexit/Reform Party) who have long thought that the NHS needs to go. Daniel Hannan was once again talking about this in a new interview - this time coming at it from a different angle rather than his usual cries of it being against core Conservative free-market values - where he was comparing CoViD restrictions to the NHS, saying that the NHS was supposed to be a short-term post-war measure and it's still here, so there is a danger that CoViD measures and reduced freedoms may also not be rolled back because the NHS never was.

This has been on their agenda for many many years. Some people just do not see health as a right, it has to be paid for. Most of them tend to have cash and would never be without healthcare but that of course, is not worth looking at.

As long as we have enough people who will just nod at any old crap these people roll out or look where the 'brexit bone' is when it is thrown to distract them, there is a possibility they will get what they want.

7 minutes ago, alexunterwegs said:

Trying to understand this.  Does it just mean purchases of goods from the EU with Mastercard whilst in the UK, or does it include any payments by EU residents using a UK Mastercard? 

It affects any UK-issued card since the Mastercard-Visa cartel is no more regulated by the EU while in the UK. It can be regulated by Bank of England, though, so I don't see any problem here.

1 minute ago, yourkeau said:

It affects any UK-issued card since the Mastercard-Visa cartel is no more regulated by the EU while in the UK. It can be regulated by Bank of England, though, so I don't see any problem here.

How do you mean no problems here ?  No extra charges made to residents in the EU using UK issued Mastercards?  

1 hour ago, alexunterwegs said:

Trying to understand this. 

It ain't hard.

Does it just mean purchases of goods from the EU with Mastercard whilst in the UK, 

No.

or does it include any payments by EU residents using a UK Mastercard? 

It applies to all online Mastercard transactions with a UK Mastercard. I said it wasn't hard.

No extra charges made to residents in the EU using UK issued Mastercards?  

Mastercard are not charging you or EU residents, they are charging the Merchant so it's upto the Merchant, if they want, to pass that charge onto the purchaser.

If you purchase online goods from EU suppliers paying with your UK issued credit card, regardless of where you live, if the Merchant has decided to add the additional charge to the transaction then you will pay for the extra cost, simples.

All you then do is shop around and look for the best deal, it works both ways.

As I said it ain't hard and definitely not Rocket Science.

It only applies to Online/e-commerce, face to faces sales as I understand remain the same.

11 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

Mastercard are not charging you or EU residents, they are charging the Merchant so it's upto the Merchant, if they want, to pass that charge onto the purchaser.

And those charges are (as seen in the BBC link above) :

From October, Mastercard said it would increase these fees to 1.5% on every transaction, up from 0.3%.

So a whole barrel full when looking at their total annual turnover, but even if the merchant passes on the whole charge (as expected) 

then it's still €1,50 instead of €0,30 for every €100,00 you spend.

More of a reason to choose an alternative card than to pull your hair out.

11 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

It applies to all online Mastercard transactions with a UK Mastercard. I said it wasn't hard.

Mastercard are not charging you or EU residents, they are charging the Merchant so it's upto the Merchant, if they want, to pass that charge onto the purchaser. If you purchase online goods from EU suppliers paying with your UK issued credit card, regardless of where you live, if the Merchant has decided to add the additional charge to the transaction then you will pay for the extra cost, simples.

All you then do is shop around and look for the best deal, it works both ways.

As I said it ain't hard and definitely not Rocket Science. It only applies to Online/e-commerce, face to faces sales as I understand remain the same.

Thanks. So basically includes all my inter German transactions paid with a UK issued Mastercard.  Must be one of those Brexit benefits that our Government always spoke about. 

Yes, of course I can shop around, but most operators in the money transaction business are not noted as being charitable institutions. I see that Visa are reviewing the situation, but will give adequate notice of any changes. Tells you enough. 

Will probably have to take out a German-based credit card, though of course they charge you for the privelige, unlike many UK ones.

So either way, you're a loser.  

@alexunterwegs

Mastercard are not implementing this straight away so you have until 15 October 2021 and undoubtedly Visa will follow suit as you already mention.

Credit card charges will go from 0.3% to 1.5% and as I say it's solely down to the merchant as to whether or not they pass this on to the consumer.

On another note, I suppose because of Corona and lockdowns nobody has yet to touch on the subject of mobile phone roaming and the additional charges one can expect.

We can only watch this space....:ph34r:

4 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

On another note, I suppose because of Corona and lockdowns nobody has yet to touch on the subject of mobile phone roaming and the additional charges one can expect.

I'm afraid I might have some bad news for you, Sir Percy:

On 1/19/2021, 2:04:48, El Jeffo said:

Just got a notification that Vodafone will exclude the UK from EU roaming starting July 1.

Of course, they framed it positively - "You can continue using it until June 30".

This is for a Germany-based pre-paid. No idea how they'll deal with UK-based accounts.

36 minutes ago, alexunterwegs said:

Will probably have to take out a German-based credit card, though of course they charge you for the privilege, unlike many UK ones.

Have a look at the "Barclaycard Visa" and at the "Hanseatic Bank GenialCard", no yearly fee and neither one charges a fee for foreign transactions, i.e. non-€ transctions (Auslandsentgelt): https://www.modern-banking.de/vergleich-kreditkarte-11.php

The "catch" with both those cards is that you have to remember to set the repayment to 100% in the online banking after you get the card, since the default is part repayment (which would mean incurring interest).

If you get the Hanseatic GenialCard and pay with it at least 3 times within the first 4 weeks, they will transfer 30€ onto the card (after 6 weeks): https://www.hanseaticbank.de/kreditkarte/genialcard

I recently switched to Santander bank, free account and free credit card and I even get a few euro Treuebonus every month.

1 hour ago, PandaMunich said:

Have a look at the "Barclaycard Visa" and at the "Hanseatic Bank GenialCard", no yearly fee and neither one charges a fee for foreign transactions, i.e. non-€ transctions (Auslandsentgelt): https://www.modern-banking.de/vergleich-kreditkarte-11.php

The "catch" with both those cards is that you have to remember to set the repayment to 100% in the online banking after you get the card, since the default is part repayment (which would mean incurring interest).

If you get the Hanseatic GenialCard and pay with it at least 3 times within the first 4 weeks, they will transfer 30€ onto the card (after 6 weeks): https://www.hanseaticbank.de/kreditkarte/genialcard

Thanks Panda, 

I think I Iooked at Barclaycard some time ago and they had some unusual payback account, different to the usual pay as you go, which put me off. I'm also not into online banking so if they were to insist on that, I'm out.  

Though Hanseatic Bank is local to me,  I tend to avoid small banks. But I'll have a look at what they are doing. .   

I saw a headline earlier saying a brexit party (or UKIP) MEP has had her fishing business pretty much destroyed by the brexit deal.

If it's true it defo falls under my 'is ok to laugh at as it's self caused consequences'.