Brexit: The fallout

16,993 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, murphaph said:

Nissan are worried about the ROO making their cars not British because the battery counts for much of the value of an ev.

They already make the smaller battery in the UK. They will now begin making the larger 62kW version.

I'd say Sunderland can breathe a sigh of relief if and when the next new model is given to it to produce. Not before then.

Why?

Because border friction impacts heavily on the just in time supply chains which car assembly is built on. If Nissan have to keep stopping the line because a truck is stuck in Calais then they will have to reconsider their position.

At the moment Covid is causing worldwide shortages of components anyway so it's masking the issue (Nissan stopped the line already this year for that reason) but this affects most car manufacturers at the moment. If and when we put Covid behind us, then we'll see how easy it difficult it is to keep supply chains moving.

Ultimately though we are talking about a factory not closing here. 

If you start looking at things not getting worse as wining, you're playing the wrong game or your just crap.

Added to that, Nissan are gong to be ok for now, other parts of the economy are hurting. That just shows the thought procces behind brexit and every little win.

I'm ok, the rest can suffer, I'm ok..

22 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

600c299133cc0_ohdear.jpg.bc0a344389a020f

Now for someone invested in their message, someone who actually believes in what thy are saying this wouldn't be an issue really. They would keep talking.

It would however be a problem for someone just using what they say as a way to generate an income for themselves. That could be a problem as fewer followers could mean less cash. 

Boris is not looking concerned at all. 

Boris: We told the businesses there'd be new procedures.

Yep but you didn't define these new procedures, debug them, and get them running. 

Boris: Just early teething problems

Businesses: We're losing 1M per day because we can't export.

3 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

600c299133cc0_ohdear.jpg.bc0a344389a020f

He's currently pushing the narrative that the Democrats have been "infiltrated" by "woke warriors" and "hard left Marxists", and that America will be going to war again soon.

23 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Boris is not looking concerned at all. 

Probably because he can step down and then blame someone for messing up his "cakeist" deal.

Whilst Michael Gove is a good vocal attack dog who can verbally skewer most MPs whilst Parliament is in session, he also manages to look totally gormless when not engaged in a Parliamentary debate so quite easy to make him the fall guy (should Boris step down and Gove takes over)

34 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Was reading this earlier, unfortunately nothing is too dumb or sad to be true in the great Brexit fiasco.

I like to order clothes from Boden UK. There was an unusual delay in the delivery this time, (with many apologies.) The payment has now changed to a company in the Netherlands.

39 minutes ago, Keleth said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/23/a-brexit-nightmare-the-british-businesses-being-pushed-to-breaking-point

This wouldn't be quite so bad if it all came out of the blue, but you hardly needed to be Einstein to predict it happening. The Government sold the trade deal as having no tarrifs or quotas so trade with the EU would carry on as before.  Businesses in the UK and EU see the extra delays and paperwork, with their associated costs, just not worth the extra hassle in many cases.  So a drop off in trade with the UK's most important market seems inevitable. And UK consumers lose access to a lot of quality EU products.  

5 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

When will all this 'winning' end?

It's like one of those machines in the fairground or amusement arcade, with the grab hand that keeps dropping the toy. Even if you manage to finally get the toy out, you have already spent more money in the machine than the toy is worth

my mum (london) is no longer posting us packages of cheese to berlin due to the 4 sheets of forms she would need to fill in to post food.

Shit just got real. Brexiteers expect a dig in the ribs when I next see you.

13 minutes ago, oscar 63 said:

Shit just got real. Brexiteers expect a dig in the ribs when I next see you.

I dig you since cheese is a serious business 🧀.

The bill for Boris Johnson’s Brexit is coming in and it’s punishingly steep

Unionist party, those lusty sponsors of the great experiment with the UK’s prosperity, to be wailing that they have been betrayed. I smiled to see that Roger Daltrey, the Leave-supporting lead singer of the Who, has joined the chorus of rock stars furious that the post-Brexit visa rules will ruin their prospects of touring across the Channel. Mr Daltrey will have to sing Won’t Get Fooled Again to himself before moving on to Boris the Spider and I Can’t Explain.

It is particularly rending for the soul to witness the rightwing press discovering that the cause they so noisily championed is not the nirvana that they sold to their readers. They were cheering when Boris Johnson flourished the Brexit deal that he concluded on Christmas Eve and proclaimed: “This is a cakeist treaty.” The UK would be having the sweet stuff and eating it by gaining lots of shiny new benefits from being outside the EU while still enjoying the historical advantages of frictionless trade with its closest neighbours.

There's more but too much to post here, click on the link...

On 1/22/2021, 4:46:15, alexunterwegs said:

There's nothing to stop anyone posting any positives for the UK from Brexit on this thread, but we're not exactly holding our breath. 

What have we so far;  no tampon tax,  a nice coloured new passport (even if its stripped of previous rights) and a plentiful supply of fish. 

As for Nissan deciding not to do what they probably would have done, is just maintaining the status quo. Its not a benefit. 

600e84af47604_nissandeal.jpg.1b025669b77

"What is truly alarming is that there are rumours of a secret pact between our duplicitous government and Nissan that involves not just the £61 million bung in state aid, but also a commitment to cut workers’ rights as a way to compensate Nissan for extra customs costs. If this is true, it is truly despicable, and means the fight to save workers’ rights is lost before it has started."

Government gaslighting just stepped up a gear

noone in the UK can receive any post / packages / items with a value of above 120 GBP without large import taxes a la USA being added. Absolute shocker, and will have a huge impact.

33 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

Given that most promises about brexit have fallen flat on their face, you'd think people would sit back and wit a bit before rushing to try and show things as a win.

It's making them look stupid, given the last four years, that is a new über end of level boss level of stupid.

It is also dishonest, it is papering over problems that other people will have to deal with. The 'i'll be ok, so I can back this if I want' type of person. The type people don't want around them, would rather not talk to and ignore if given the chance.

Then again, that's why they latch on to this kind of topic, it's a chance to actually be able to talk to someone, anyone, and feel part of a group.

I'd normally fell sympathy for people but in this case it's a self centered need coming out of a self centered cause for a self centered problem.

12 hours ago, oscar 63 said:

my mum (london) is no longer posting us packages of cheese to berlin due to the 4 sheets of forms she would need to fill in to post food.

Could she not just fill out the 4 pages once and copy them for future packages?