Brexit: The fallout

16,923 posts in this topic

I wonder how this will affect freelance English teachers from the UK? I can imagine it could make the competition less stiff for Irish teachers but dunno the new visa rules or no visa rules...

Anyone on here affected? 

1 hour ago, SpiderPig said:

has, or is there anything good going to come out of the fiasco?

Blue passports SP (made in France)...

I get to keep my Burgundy one until 2028...

That is a genuine benefit and I sincerely hope to see women's sanitary products zero rated across the EU as soon as possible. I never got why most countries classed these as non-essential. In Ireland they have been zero rated for decades so they retained their zero rating within the EU. I think Ireland is unique in the EU in having no VAT on tampons etc. though.

Having said all that, it would have been faaaar cheaper just to give every woman in the UK completely free sanitary products rather than destroy the economy to be able to reduce the vat to zero, something that is likely to happen across the EU in the next year or two anyway. 

I am a bit sceptical.  Can you imagine what government sanctioned free period products would be like?   Hey, I remember the ones the school nurse would hand out for free.

As already mentioned it being a Brexit thing is a red herring (ha).  The saving on removing VAT on period products is really small, which is probably why Boris is so happy to look like a hero and zero rate them.  In Germany  other things get taxed like soap and food, which are essential too.   Baby forumula  gets the whole luxury 19 percent whack here, as do nappies (at least last time I checked).  

17 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

I am a bit sceptical.  Can you imagine what government sanctioned free period products would be like?   Hey, I remember the ones the school nurse would hand out for free.

As already mentioned it being a Brexit thing is a red herring (ha).  The saving on removing VAT on period products is really small, which is probably why Boris is so happy to look like a hero and zero rate them.  In Germany  other things get taxed like soap and food, which are essential too.   Baby forumula  gets the whole luxury 19 percent whack here, as do nappies (at least last time I checked).  

That raises an interesting subject when you look at it the whole VAT system, up to the point of sale, it is actually a tax on business profits while it is the end customer who pays the full 19-20%, typical in the EU as effectively a sales tax. That is a really crazily high amount of tax to pay on pretty much everything we buy, except food which also taxed in some EU countries particularly when you consider it comes from income that in most cases has already been heavily taxed. Given that brexit has broken the need for an international taxation level playing field between the UK and EU I would hope that a reform or scrapping of VAT in the UK could reduce the need for such a high rate of sales tax and perhaps promote a retail boom which would likely benefit home grown suppliers and UK business in general.

We can but hope, but at least such things are now possible for the UK.

2 hours ago, pappnase said:

Yes and no, from 2017 to 1st Jan, the money collected from the tampon-tax in the UK was used for Women's charities, but presumably now that it isn't being collected, it won't be spent there either.

I can't find a clear answer one way or another right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is no "tampon tax fund" next year.

The Tories giveth and the Tories taketh away. I honestly had no idea about this fund and I bet you are right and these charities will be left swinging in the wind like so many others.

In 2020 it is sad and bad that women in domestic difficulty are dependent on charity. Women need more political representation. It is still a man's world.

For example, women's toilets in all workplaces could and should be adapted to the needs of menstruating women (now we are out there in the workforce). Hit the menopause and you may need a shower head or one of those toilets with an inbuilt bum spray once an hour every hour for months on end. Yes really. Buildings are simply not adapted to women's needs. If I had my way I would also issue every schoolgirl with a menstrual cup for free. That would reduce a lot of icky paper products clogging up the sewers.

24 minutes ago, optimista said:

In 2020 it is sad and bad that women in domestic difficulty are dependent on charity. Women need more political representation. It is still a man's world.

For example, women's toilets in all workplaces could and should be adapted to the needs of menstruating women (now we are out there in the workforce). Hit the menopause and you may need a shower head or one of those toilets with an inbuilt bum spray once an hour every hour for months on end. Yes really. Buildings are simply not adapted to women's needs. If I had my way I would also issue every schoolgirl with a menstrual cup for free. That would reduce a lot of icky paper products clogging up the sewers.

Hear hear.

On 06/01/2021, 11:16:34, murphaph said:

Yes. Same rules apply to all third country nationals in the EU and of course in the UK too. The only cohort that are unaffected by these changes are Irish citizens who lose no freedom of movement.

Wrong, as usual! :rolleyes: 

British citizens have not lost FOM to settle in Ireland either. Nor have they lost FOM with Switzerland, a country which in a separate agreement has given UK citizens a generous quota of permits to be able to settle there which in some ways puts them ahead of EU citizens. ;) 

On 06/01/2021, 11:48:14, murphaph said:

Faridge barely turned up except to heckle and wave a silly little flag around yet he'll have the last laugh at UK taxpayers' expense drawing a fat 7 grand a month pension for his "work" as an MEP.

Who? :unsure: 

On 07/01/2021, 15:02:10, snowingagain said:

A lot of this is only temporary.  They are just suspending deliveries until they have got more organised.  Businesses can and want to adapt.  And (not JL) some deliveries are being affected by Covid,

Any business not wanting to serve customers in non-GB locations are only harming themselves as shoppers will still buy, just somewhere else. ;) 

On 1/7/2021, 10:52:51, murphaph said:

Yeah basically. A filthy stinking heap of steaming shit of a deal is what Johnson "achieved".

and so little achieved in comparison to what was promised as well

36 minutes ago, yesterday said:

and so little achieved in comparison to what was promised as well

Indeed. Some leavers still don't get how much of a steaming pile of dogshit their illustrious leader has "achieved".

4 hours ago, keith2011 said:

That raises an interesting subject when you look at it the whole VAT system, up to the point of sale, it is actually a tax on business profits while it is the end customer who pays the full 19-20%, typical in the EU as effectively a sales tax. That is a really crazily high amount of tax to pay on pretty much everything we buy, except food which also taxed in some EU countries particularly when you consider it comes from income that in most cases has already been heavily taxed. Given that brexit has broken the need for an international taxation level playing field between the UK and EU I would hope that a reform or scrapping of VAT in the UK could reduce the need for such a high rate of sales tax and perhaps promote a retail boom which would likely benefit home grown suppliers and UK business in general.

We can but hope, but at least such things are now possible for the UK.

Unfortunately,  due to the effect of the very poor BREXIT deal that the UK got and other effects of corona, I would expect and have seen many article's on TV that the UK TAX rate is set to rise to get it out the debt situation the UK is finding its self in. That is the case for many other counties as well. I watched a program the other day, where Rishi Sunak (uk chancellor), basically said that UK had supported the public to a great extent and it would have to be paid back at some point. That does not sound like a TAX cut to me, and the UK will want to get every bit of money from every TAX to do it.

So I know it nice  have a TAX cut, but before thinks get put right and the UK adjusts to a lower GDP, as to what it would have had, had it remained in the EU.  it will take many many years. Don't hold your breath for a TAX cut anytime soon

Unless you're a Tory donor. Then something can be worked out for you. A lucrative ferry contract or something, Ferries optional.

2 hours ago, yesterday said:

I watched a program the other day, where Rishi Sunak (uk chancellor), basically said that UK had supported the public to a great extent and it would have to be paid back at some point. That does not sound like a TAX cut to me, and the UK will want to get every bit of money from every TAX to do it.

You are almost certainly correct correct although I really can not see the government risking another austerity firstly because it did not work and secondly it would really risk civil unrest and they know it! I'm not sure what they can do, I'm no economist, but they will need to stimulate growth even if it results in serious inflation.

It's chaos but because the lorries are stuck outside warehouses and in yards rather than at the ports themselves, the Tories can hoodwink dopey fucking leavers into thinking everything is going great.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ColdChainShane/status/1347885428402245632