Brexit: The fallout

16,980 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, keith2011 said:

When bojo's father reclaims his French citizenship after 31st Dec.  will Boris still be entitled to claim right of residency in the UK and if yes will he have to apply for permit? 😅

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9101865/Boris-Johnsons-father-Stanley-apply-FRENCH-citizenship-Brexit.html

All I can say is where did Boris' dad go wrong with the upbringing of his children? 

https://www.change.org/p/michel-barnier-we-want-a-green-card-for-europe-eugreencard/u/28281632?cs_tk=Asq-coKVWHCqMD-D718AAXicyyvNyQEABF8BvFkkgAktlKFPhD93Uzgj2ts%

New Europeans are organising an online vigil at midnight CET to mark the ending of the UK's participation in helping to shape Europe. 

The sobering reality of New Years celebrations.  You need to contact them in advance to say you want to take part. 

1 hour ago, alexunterwegs said:

All I can say is where did Boris' dad go wrong with the upbringing of his children? 

You need to read up on him a bit.Boris shows all the genetic traits of his dad.

32 minutes ago, alexunterwegs said:

https://www.change.org/p/michel-barnier-we-want-a-green-card-for-europe-eugreencard/u/28281632?cs_tk=Asq-coKVWHCqMD-D718AAXicyyvNyQEABF8BvFkkgAktlKFPhD93Uzgj2ts%

New Europeans are organising an online vigil at midnight CET to mark the ending of the UK's participation in helping to shape Europe. 

The sobering reality of New Years celebrations.  You need to contact them in advance to say you want to take part. 

Can’t open it😟

Maybe it is just me...

Mind you, I had the same problem with a taramasalata box / carton thing I was trying to open an hour ago. In the end, I had to “ stab “ it with a vicious kitchen knife.

The joys of getting older- coordination..🙁

23 minutes ago, john g. said:

Can’t open it😟

Maybe it is just me...

Mind you, I had the same problem with a taramasalata box / carton thing I was trying to open an hour ago. In the end, I had to “ stab “ it with a vicious kitchen knife.

The joys of getting older- coordination..🙁

No it was my fault. Try this one. 

https://neweuropeans.net/event/3449/connection-lost

The online vigil is via New Europeans Facebook page.   

Actually, the theme is about losing freedom of movement., hence 'connection lost'.   

As we haven't heard back from our Brexit friends on TT as to all the advantages of the deal, here's a checklist - from the Daily Fail, no less - of all the key changes as of midnight.

So much winning...

134359590_434924151156691_1882438867586660998_n.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55502252 

With the transition period now over, a further advantage comes to women resident in the UK. The VAT on sanitary products is scrapped. 

The EU classes tampons as non-essential and requires countries to charge VAT on these products. Disgraceful. 

Ireland is the only EU country where these products are (still) zero-rated and Ireland is 'allowed' to keep the zero-rating as per EU legislation. 

How many more years have to go by before the EU wakes up and reverses its loopy policy on not allowing new zero-ratings to be introduced and how many more years have to go by before the EU wakes up to reality and stops classing essential items as non-essential luxuries? Pathetic. :angry: 

23 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

With the transition period now over, a further advantage comes to women resident in the UK. The VAT on sanitary products is scrapped.

In 2016, the European parliament voted to start the process to allow EU countries to abolish this tax.

The UK was the only country in Europe pushing this change, so now that we have left the EU, it is less likely that the tampon tax will be abolished throughout Europe, meaning millions of people who need tampons and sanitary towels will have to continue paying this absurd tax.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/31/tampon-tax-government-axes-vat-on-sanitary-products

So "Yeah Brexit!!! Fuck off women of Europe" I guess. So much for solidarity and sisterhood.

On 30/12/2020, 18:21:57, lunaCH said:

Countries already outside of the customs union seem to thrive, so overall the leave option will be for the best.

Firstly, that doesn´t seem to be compelling logic and secondly, I wonder which countries those might be? China?

On 30/12/2020, 18:21:57, lunaCH said:

No reason why the UK can't become the Switzerland of the 21st century. :) 

You mean being forced to sacrifice the interests of their banking industry (think doing away with banking confidentiality). Be careful what you wish for.

1 hour ago, jeba said:

You mean being forced to sacrifice the interests of their banking industry (think doing away with banking confidentiality). Be careful what you wish for.

The loss of confidentiality by Swiss banks was their own fault for allowing and even encouraging criminals to use them to hide away ill gotten gains! I believe it is still very difficult to legally obtain details of a numbered Swiss bank accounts but it is now possible, as it should be.

6 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Brexit is done. I'm also done with it. You can now close this thread. 

Ah but the fallout will be going on for some years and I for one can't wait to see if the prediction of a Kent wide sh*# stinking lorry park by @murphaph actually happens.

We've got a deal on goods Luke. It's a bad deal for the UK but as it prioritises goods (a huge benefit for the EU which has a large trade surplus in goods with the UK) so I expect the EU will try to make this deal work as best it can in ports like Calais. The fallout however will continue for decades.

Brexit is drawing Ireland closer to the EU in the meantime:

https://breakbulk.news/new-belgium-to-ireland-breakbulk-service/

New bulk short sea freight routes springing up in secondary ports like this. Even totally unexpected routes like the one mentioned in the article linking Ireland directly to an Adriatic Sea port. I guess the logic goes something like "well if we are shipping around GB anyway we may as well just ship all the way to the other end". 

Brexit is bringing Ireland closer to the EU! 

36 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

The new situation will settle down a bit, but Brexit won't go away as the EU theme never went away after the previous referendum in 1973. 

At first things like queuing and redtape at the border and the Kent lorry park will grab the headlines, but it will be longer before the new reality starts to sink in with a wider public. 

In the meantime, if people are fed up hearing about Brexit, nobody's forced to follow this thread!  

42 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

It's only getting started, we've a long way to go yet

Yep, I expect fossil fuel engined vehicles to be made until they reach end of life in the UK as relocating existing plants is not how motor manufacturers normally operate. They will simply build the next generation of vehicle plants in the EU where jit operations remain risk free and they can still export to the UK under the just signed FTA.

The bad deal the UK just signed means a total catastrophe is averted today but it'll be death by a thousand cuts as each week will "reveal" more of the benefits of being in the SM & CU that went unnoticed by many in the UK.

The new NI/GB border began operations this morning with EU officials on station in Larne Harbour keeping an eye on what's being imported into the SM through this channel. Larne is one of the most hardcore loyalist towns in Northern Ireland, now a border town. I bet that hurts but they voted for it thinking they could drive a wedge between Ireland and Northern Ireland. Of all the oddities during this whole saga, the self defeating stance of the DUP will be analysed perhaps the most. Realpolitik demanded that these nutters for once play a safe game but no, they went all out in red, white and blue bunting mode in favour of Brexit (and it's still never been explained why money was funneled through them to place full page ads in newspapers in GB). Now they face living in an NI where GB sausages are literally going to become illegal in 3 months time.

Oh, we're just getting started with the Brexit fallout. As each grace period expires there will be more and more questions asked about the sanity of this path. Already it's noticeable how few people are prepared to stand over the deal the UK managed to negotiate.

2 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

2 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Ah but the fallout will be going on for some years and I for one can't wait to see if the prediction of a Kent wide sh*# stinking lorry park by @murphaph actually happens.

1 hour ago, Tap said:

It's only getting started, we've a long way to go yet

The *real* fallout is just about to begin, reminding me of, oh, 1776 ;) :

Indeed. The biggest fallout will be the breaking up of the United Kingdom as Brexit has opened several deep and festering wounds that can no longer be ignored. Scotland's position in the UK as a supplicant nation that ultimately must bend according to the will of England is now indisputable. Major constitutional change like this should have required a majority in each nation of the UK. That didn't happen and now even some small u Scottish unionists feel like second class citizens. It's a fatal blow for the UK. Though perhaps it's better analogised with a bite from a komodo dragon. It will kill you but it'll take a little while and be very painful.

NI is already today less a part of the United Kingdom. The EU BCP in Larne is operational. That's a one way street. NI will become more integrated with the EU economy and less integrated with the UK economy. The politics will follow.