Brexit: The fallout

17,622 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, alexunterwegs said:

So the French wanting to control their borders. I thought this sovereignty was a good thing, Nigel?  

He seems to now be all for relaxing border controls. 

Now imagine being a person that believed everything he said up to now.
Quite a bit of mental gymnastics to bend this way and that as Nigel has changed his tune to fit his own needs.

It would positively make a person bitter.

3 hours ago, hellfire99 said:

I hate the 'cake and eat it', rubbish. 

It's bandied about by people who haven't the fainted inkling of what it means.   Then when you ask them to elaborate they get annoyed as they have no idea about what they are talking about, and on further examination, their heads explode! 

Head Explode GIF - Head Explode Scanners GIFs

As I understand it, it means you can't have it both ways. Well, of course you can. 

One can maintain sovereignty and also sign trade agreements. 

The UK has done this with numerous countries outside the UK. 

I think 'cake and eat it' is a rather good phrase. Put another way, most relationships are based upon give and take.  Boris and Co were hoping for more of a take/take one. 

Each trade relationship will also be different. Just because the UK signs one with Southern Yemen without any level playing field provisions, doesn't mean the same applies with the EU. The EU is based on standards, or to use the German word, a Wertegemeinschaft. Its not perfect, but its a way of protecting itself and 

keeping certain minimum standards. That is their perogative. 

Boris and his associates thought the EU would be so desparate for a Deal , that they would abandon their standards. But they miscalculated. Or they don't care. 

9 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

Now imagine being a person that believed everything he said up to now.
Quite a bit of mental gymnastics to bend this way and that as Nigel has changed his tune to fit his own needs.

It would positively make a person bitter.

Farage twists and distorts facts to suit.  I remember on his LBC show,  he was on a rant about how Merkel was allowing all the Middle East and African refugees into the EU and they would immediately qualify for 'freedom of movment' to settle in the UK.  My understanding is that they would need to acquire an EU passport to do so, and we all know that's not something that's handed out on demand. Farage was suggesting Moldavia is a country where they could acquire EU passports, even though Moldavia is not an EU state, and secondly the vast majority of the refugees were heading towards countries like Germany. 

I'm afraid the bloke deliberately misleads to an audience which doesn't particularly care if what he says is accurate.  

What really cracks me up, is London is now in tier 4, with many other parts of the country about to go into to it. Tier 4 means no travel outside your local area, to reduce spreading of the virus. Then the French, hear about the new super spreading variant of the virus and decide France should not be importing it to their country

France is just looking after its own people, why is the UK surprised by this.

23 minutes ago, tor said:

LH is flying food to the UK. 

Oh right aid supplies is it? Be dropping them in Hyde Part by parachute?

Get real!

4 hours ago, yesterday said:

In short yes, that's the humanitarian thing to do, after all its not the polish truck drivers fault that the French have shut the ports.

It is not the UKs fault either, seems like an EU problem, doesn't Brussels have thousands of PotaLoos they could send over?

25 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Get real!

it true, read below

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-22/lufthansa-will-airlift-food-to-britain-skirting-port-logjam

https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/business/146797/lufthansa-to-fly-80-tonnes-of-food-to-uk-amid-shortages-air-bridge-fruit-vegetables-freight-traffic-boeing-777-cargo-great-britain-european-union/

think about it, if you were a an EU trucker, would you want to drive food to the UK, only to find you could not return back to the EU, how much extra inconvenience money would you want.

Yep the Poles, and Bulgarians and others who drive trucks all over Europe didn't vote for Brexit, weren't asked their opinion on Brexit, and very very few people will care if they're locked in a camp for 2 weeks, while their employer goes bankrupt because their highly leveraged truck is no longer generating income. 

I know the lockdown is Covid based not Brexit, but it's a hint of things to come if truckers have to queue 3 days to enter/exit Britain.

In fact you might find a lot of the UK's trade goes into Ireland, get's lost and magically reappears in Northern Ireland. Time to invest in Irish ferries? Maybe it would be in Britain's interest to cede a little territory to Ireland at the end of the chunnel.

There are apparently some conveniently located barns straddling the border. Have been used for cow import/export in the past.

10 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

I know the lockdown is Covid based not Brexit, but it's a hint of things to come if truckers have to queue 3 days to enter/exit Britain.

Exactly. We are 10 days away and we've still got alot of significant people, including ministers, who think a No Deal Brexit would be clever.  If they are so desparate that everything has to change on 1st January, then they could at least have planned for it. They think sending out adverts to businesses, haulage firms etc, to 'Get Ready for Brexit', does the job.  The businesses don't know yet what they need to do, and the Government doesn't seem to have a clue either. 

23 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Yep the Poles, and Bulgarians and others who drive trucks all over Europe didn't vote for Brexit, weren't asked their opinion on Brexit, and very very few people will care if they're locked in a camp for 2 weeks, while their employer goes bankrupt because their highly leveraged truck is no longer generating income. 

Would you care to qualify that "locked in a camp for 2 weeks" bit because that's news to me.

13 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

It's now 1 minute after midnight...BoJo and his clan are going on trade republic right now and are buying funds galore directed by that CU*T Rees-Mogg.

Of course there'll be "a deal"...it will be some sort of agreement, probably falling far short of any reasonable criteria - in order to save the UKs face... but it will make despicable CU*Ts rich! Just like after the referendum...remember our discussion then?

Just now, keith2011 said:

Would you care to qualify that "locked in a camp for 2 weeks" bit because that's news to me.

Read cnn and scroll down to:

Trucks lined up at the disused Manston Airport, which was activated as a holding area. 

Perhaps my choice of the word camp was poor. Locked in a disused airport for 2 weeks.

Of course it might only be 10 days before those trucks get back to the continent. But however long it takes, it will be devastating for trucking companies. Who will want risk money before they send trucks to the UK again. Or insurance. Or something.

54 minutes ago, yesterday said:

it true, read below

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-22/lufthansa-will-airlift-food-to-britain-skirting-port-logjam

https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/business/146797/lufthansa-to-fly-80-tonnes-of-food-to-uk-amid-shortages-air-bridge-fruit-vegetables-freight-traffic-boeing-777-cargo-great-britain-european-union/

think about it, if you were a an EU trucker, would you want to drive food to the UK, only to find you could not return back to the EU, how much extra inconvenience money would you want.

I don't doubt it I'm sure in the absence of any passengers LH are for sure offering some competitive prices to fly anything anywhere but do you really believe that if they did not people in the North of England will go hungry over Christmas? Well at least no hungrier than normal for those struggling on low wages!

1 hour ago, keith2011 said:

Get real!

14 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

I don't doubt it 

get real u self .