Brexit: The fallout

17,622 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, murphaph said:

I hope the average Brit isn't expecting the government's other Brexit contingency plans to be executed any better. They give no fucks about them either.

Of course not, the are the political version of keyboard warriors.

All wind and p*ss but run away when things get tough or work needs to be done.

14 hours ago, alexunterwegs said:

Not a very good analogy, that one. With Brexit we had most of the western world advising against including almost a half of the British population.

The general gist of the message was, you can't have your cake and eat it.  Which Boris still seems a bit slow to comprehend.  

I hate the 'cake and eat it', rubbish. 

It's bandied about by people who haven't the fainted inkling of what it means.   Then when you ask them to elaborate they get annoyed as they have no idea about what they are talking about, and on further examination, their heads explode! 

Head Explode GIF - Head Explode Scanners GIFs

As I understand it, it means you can't have it both ways. Well, of course you can. 

One can maintain sovereignty and also sign trade agreements. 

The UK has done this with numerous countries outside the UK. 

13 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I've seen it reported on CNN and BBC and my news feed for the last week or so.

Thanks for letting us know! 

12 hours ago, Keleth said:

Nope not saying that at all.

Just that the govt in their handling of Brexit and Corona have shown themselves to be utterly incompetent and could have used a guiding hand from somewhere.This govt specifically with Johnson leading won re-election because of Brexit and their promises and every other incompetence was ignored and that´s come back to bite the country in the arse in dealing with covid.

The minute Cummings broke the rules and got away with it was the minute many people decided to also think fuck the rules.

Their handling of this Corona Kerfuffle has left a lot to be desired but Brexit has been OK.  Bear in mind all the traitorous dealings that went on in the last 4.5 years, with every man and his dog trying to confound the process, and I am amazed that they actually got it over the line. 

I don't think this panto villain Cummings <boo, hiss, he's behind you>, opened the floodgates, though. I simply think the Brits don't like being told what to do. The gubberment knew it would only last for so long before people got arsey. 

11 hours ago, Keleth said:

You know why it´s called golf ?

Because the word shit was already taken.

The first green shoots of a sense of humor and banter returning to Toytown!  

That's actually quite good! 

:lol:

Levels of racist invective on the comments sections of the Express directed at the French, Irish and Germans at record highs.

And then you come here with your racist invective against the British. 

You couldn't make it up! 

11 hours ago, Keleth said:

Stop it ffs.

You and Farage etc think it`s "cool" to harp on about the war.

Please go and learn history before you start mentioning it and find out what was really involved in fighting it.

Mate, it was a joke, haha! 

:D

11 hours ago, yesterday said:

Just remember some people are only here to annoy other people here, just ignore them, and argue with the sensible people here or you just waste your breath

Yes, dear! 

10 hours ago, snowingagain said:

Charities now feeding stranded truck drivers.  It is dreadful that when government were planning all these lorry parks and stacks, that they did not plan for the drivers to eat, to have toilets.  

Erm, excuse me! 

Why would the British government get them packed lunch boxes for them truckers ready two full weeks before they are needed?  Just imagine, the lettuce would be limp and the ginger snaps would have gone soft, not to mention the Panda Cola being as flat as a fart!  

Far better to make the sarnies just before the planned deadline of 31/12/20, don't you think? 

What you are grumbling about is PM Johnson not having a magic stockpile of cheese and ham sarnies ready for an unexpected closure of the border due to a new strain of a virus in a global pandemic. 

And even if Boris had made a gazillion sarnies there would have been complaints about there being no vegan option, or someone has a wheat intolerance or someone wanted the crusts cut off first. 

Can you see the difference? 

the average Brit 

11 hours ago, Techsmex said:

huh?  que que?  @murphaph please share metrics if you please not trying to bust your balls.  just curious  

Yeah, it will be interesting to see Murphy's definition of the average Brit. 

1 hour ago, dom said:

New UK covid testing facilities just a few metres away from the cliff-edge in Dover:

3500.jpg.1062cab79074bd246a751222331cd33

Que: "Driving home for Christmas" by Chris Rea :(

Nice, the UK is failing to organize a piss up in a brewery

Some charities have been doing their bit.  But lack of toilet provision is horrible.  I know this particular crisis was unexpected, but seeing as they were anticipating long queues, stacking and lorry parks in a few weeks time, you would have hoped they would have go something ready.  Even bins for bags of excrement and open mobile urinals (sorry lady truckers) and handwashing possibilities would have been a start.

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

As one user points out, no sign of Farage or the EDL out feeding these lorry drivers.

Would you really expect them to help out foreign truck drivers stranded because the French have closed their ports?

17 minutes ago, hellfire99 said:

Yeah, it will be interesting to see Murphy's definition of the average Brit. 

Toffee nosed weak willed Eton boys who somehow have managed to suppress the Irish for 1000 years would be my guess!:lol:

41 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Would you really expect them to help out foreign truck drivers stranded because the French have closed their ports?

In short yes, that's the humanitarian thing to do, after all its not the polish truck drivers fault that the French have shut the ports.

What do you expect the Polish truck drivers to do, shit in the bushes ? Drive their trucks to Tesco and stock up on food there, thus causing problems for tesco as they do not have the parking .- They probably have not had the chance for a shower for days now.

It just shows how dependent the UK is on just in time systems, and how the UK needs a friendly relationship with the EU to keep things running smoothly - ie no BREXIT

12 hours ago, snowingagain said:

Charities now feeding stranded truck drivers.  

40 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Can't they just send UNICEF around?

Bloody forinjers sending underage truck drivers over here to steal our jobs! 

Or did you mean another UNICEF and not the one known as the United Nations Children's Fund,

The one that is a United Nations agency responsible for providing humanitarian and developmental aid to children worldwide. 

That one? 

19 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

I know this particular crisis was unexpected,

Hammer meets nail, moment! 

4 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Toffee nosed weak willed Eton boys who somehow have managed to suppress the Irish for 1000 years would be my guess!:lol:

He is gonna throw such a wobbler when he finds out you have been talking to me! 

You are right, though! 

:lol:

1 hour ago, hellfire99 said:

but Brexit has been OK

Nah whether your pro or anti Brexit their handling of it has been a complete and utter fucking shambles.

He has delivered nothing to either side .He was not responsible for delivering Brexit as such but he is responsible for delivering on his promises which seem to be "we`ll walk away" to appease the rabid pro Brexiters to "we`ll get a good deal" to appease the anti Brexit crowd.

Johnson and this govt have a penchant for promising the earth and delivering nothing.It`s like he is too scared to admit their up shit creek even when everyone can see they are until it`s too late and then he has to admit it and try and do something about it.Witness the Xmas and Covid debacle as an example.

I don't think this panto villain Cummings <boo, hiss, he's behind you>, opened the floodgates, though. I simply think the Brits don't like being told what to do.

Nah the Brits never have had a problem with being told what to do but they have always had a problem with hypocrisy which Cummings and the Govt (Actually the whole of Parliament) have been showing in abundance.

Cummings was not a panto villain he was the ultimate "Do as I tell you not do as I do" hypocrite.

Mate, it was a joke, haha! 

And a joke that is often used and just reinforcing the stereotype of Brexiteers as knuckle dragging xenophobes living in the past.

What you are grumbling about is PM Johnson not having a magic stockpile of cheese and ham sarnies ready for an unexpected closure of the border due to a new strain of a virus in a global pandemic. 

You're right in a way but that charities etc can react quicker than a govt seems a bit surreal.

Also can you imagine the outcry of people if they were Brits stuck abroad and getting no help from the countries they were stuck in.

53 minutes ago, yesterday said:

In short yes, that's the humanitarian thing to do

And since when would you associate EDL and Farage with humanitarian ?

1 minute ago, Keleth said:

And since when would you associate EDL and Farage with humanitarian ?

Last time I check the EDL and Farage are not in power, it would the UK government to provide facilities to the truckers 

Lol. The UK government in the form of a bunch of Eton toffs inexplicably elected to power by northern working class folk don't give two fucks about their own people, nevermind a bunch of polish lorry drivers.

16 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Lol. The UK government in the form of a bunch of Eton toffs inexplicably elected to power by northern working class folk don't give two fucks about their own people, nevermind a bunch of polish lorry drivers.

It's hard to look at people who support BJ with a straight face, let alone respect their views when looking at how brexit has turned out. 

But, wait, I hear the EU is collapsing as we speak, Audi have sent Megatron to Mekel's house to get her to storm the EU parliament to champion the British point of view.

Still, moving away from fiction to realty to people that actually saw how thins would turn out as they have a brain that can think things through, we have a huge lorry park and higher prices and Trump has gone. He's out and it under 30 days, he's leaving the building.

This is what all the crying is about, sour grapes, dashed hopes (hopes a they never grounded in reality), hard cheese and 4 years of energy thrown away for not much.

All that is left now is to persuade the other foxes that they don't need their tales, that the reflected bone was real, and that donkey they bought is really a champion horse. 

It's hard to be brexit/Trump supporter, all that's left is arguing small points, points that will, like the rest of the arguments, fall like the dominos they always were. 

It funny looking back, the view pushed was that the dominoes would be EU countries leaving, now it's just brexshiter dreams, hopes and allies across the pond that have toppled one by one...

You can understand why their a little p*ssed off and have to le their frustration out online. It must be easier to be laughed at via a screen that in real life. I mean, you can only hear the laughter if you imagine it in your head via a screen.

Whilst I might reserve done small degree of sympathy for a "let down leaver" I reserve significantly more for the "robbed remainers" who didn't have shit for brains when they cast their votes. Brexit is turning into the biggest pile of foul stinking shit there ever was. 

22 minutes ago, dom said:

Nigel Farage calling members of the EU “bullies and thugs” for closing their borders with the UK over the new strain of Covid-19 that has become a problem in southeast England.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/nigel-farage-border-brexit-eu-coronavirus-uk-b1777232.html

:wacko:

Can't be, we are a strong sovereign nation so they can't bully us,  and EU countries can't just close their borders, it's one of the reasons we left..

Right?

This would mean half of the whole sovereignty  argument was BS and people who believed it would have BS for brains..

Oh, right...

47 minutes ago, dom said:

Nigel Farage calling members of the EU “bullies and thugs” for closing their borders with the UK over the new strain of Covid-19 that has become a problem in southeast England.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/nigel-farage-border-brexit-eu-coronavirus-uk-b1777232.html

:wacko:

So the French wanting to control their borders. I thought this sovereignty was a good thing, Nigel?  

He seems to now be all for relaxing border controls. 

Some scuffles in Dover earlier. You can easily imagine wide scale civil disturbances getting out of control very quickly as the true consequences of Brexit make themselves apparent.