Brexit: The fallout

16,878 posts in this topic

In light of the impasse on the trade talks I think it is worth bearing in mind that when PM Cameron went to the EU for something to stem the rising tide of brexit support he came back humiliated with nothing, which most likely further strengthened the anti-EU position. Then we saw PM May humiliated into accepting an agreement she could not even sell to her own cabinet. It should come as no surprise that PM Bojo is highly unlikely to compromise on anything that might be seen as giving up British sovereignty.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Techsmex said:

@keith2011 & @keleth, y'all are confusing me. Can you pick a different TT name?  like Keith and Kevin, Armando and Tony, Simon & Garfunkel, Crockett and Tubbs? I'd appreciate that, would make my life on TT less stressful, trying to decipher yawls posts. 

 

wink, wink

Well if you have trouble reading our names, maybe new glasses would help, you can always checkout the handy avatar that is included on the left of every post, mine is anon. keleths' is not.:P

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cameron didn't get to dictate to the rest of the EU what reforms should happen when and this is humiliation to the British? That speaks volumes to me about how the British view the EU.

 

I think the British political establishment needs to learn some humility!

 

The EU is constantly reforming albeit slowly. It is not there to be used as a football for UK domestic politics. We all decide together on what reforms or otherwise need to be made. 

 

"Getting out of the EU can be quick and easy – the UK holds most of the cards." 
@johnredwood
 July 17, 2016

 

Brexit has now dragged on longer than WWI.

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Tap said:

 

I agree with you, I would never guy Kerrygold "cheddar", there's no taste, it's just colour. I prefer the mature British types, and this is why other Irish cheese producers are planning to fill that market when the UK products become too expensive, or are gone altogether.

Yep the Irish agri-food sector can step into many of the gaps created by tariffs on British foods in the EU. There are far better cheeses in Ireland than Kerrygold for sure.

 

Clearly a lot more Irish meat on German shelves these past few years as exports shock horror prepare for Brexit and greater difficulties exporting to GB.

 

It shows in the figures too as Ireland now exports a single digit percentage of its goods to the UK. Down from 96% after independence.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Cameron didn't get to dictate to the rest of the EU what reforms should happen when and this is humiliation to the British? That speaks volumes to me about how the British view the EU.

 

I think the British political establishment needs to learn some humility!

 

Rightly or wrongly the leaders of the 2nd biggest contributor to the EU were due more respect, as a result of the humiliation and failure they suffered at the hands of the EU both  lost their jobs. Bojo may be a fool but he isn't stupid and knows he needs to stay in power if he wants the UK to follow his vision. I don't think he is going to roll over and play dead, no matter how much the EU might want him to.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Tap said:

 

I agree with you, I would never guy Kerrygold "cheddar", there's no taste, it's just colour. I prefer the mature British types, and this is why other Irish cheese producers are planning to fill that market when the UK products become too expensive, or are gone altogether.

 

I think I've been scarred for life growing up in Ireland where there were 6 cheeses. 3 brands of yellow tasteless cheddar, and 3 brands of orange tasteless cheddar.

 

People tell me, they insist that cheddar can have some taste, and it's worth trying a vintage cheddar. I refuse to believe them. Why would I. There are so many amazing cheeses from France, Switzerland, Italy why would I waste my time, money and eating capacity with Dutch, Irish, and English (except Stilton, Wensleydale) cheeses?

 

Let's face it: I'm a cheese racist. And a wine racist

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And that's the great thing about the single market. We get to be fussy about what cheese from what remote corner of the union we want to buy, tariff and duty free!

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

There are so many amazing cheeses from France, Switzerland, Italy why would I waste my time, money and eating capacity with Dutch, Irish, and English (except Stilton, Wensleydale) cheeses?

 

 

 

And Spain! If you like strongly flavoured cheeses look for:

Cabrales (like Stilton on steroids)

Cinco Lanzas García Baquero (one of my favorite cheeses ever)

Flor de Esgueva (like Cinca Lanzas, it's a Manchego-style hard cheese, but better than Manchego in my opinion).

Torta del Casar: so strong it'll make your mouth hurt. It's a soft cheese and you can spread it on toast. It's like Marmite (you only need a little bit because it's so flavourful).

 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Smaugcan I buy some of these cheeses at Kaufhof perhaps? They have a great variety, even real Gouda. I eat cheese from all countries, but hey I'm Dutch :).

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

 

Rightly or wrongly the leaders of the 2nd biggest contributor to the EU were due more respect, as a result of the humiliation and failure they suffered at the hands of the EU both  lost their jobs. Bojo may be a fool but he isn't stupid and knows he needs to stay in power if he wants the UK to follow his vision. I don't think he is going to roll over and play dead, no matter how much the EU might want him to.

They set themselves up for the humiliation by marching over to Brussels making demands of the rest of us. We were 28 member states, not the UK + 27. Perhaps we were due more respect rather than tub-thumping British PMs telling us very publicly how the EU should be run?

 

I think Johnson would set fire to the UK and everyone in it if he could hold on to the trappings of office for another day. Putting any sort of faith in this serial and proven liar seems extraordinarily unwise to me as an outsider.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, keith2011 said:

 

With respect to the lamb then you don't know what you are missing, and if the fish comes from France Spain or the Netherlands then it was most likely caught in UK waters anyway.;)

This is just like the guy in Florida.. Got biten by a shark but died of Corona....   

 

Strange times we live in!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@LukeSkywalker No idea, sorry. I usually buy Spanish cheese in Spain because it tends to be so expensive in Germany.

 

Lidl sells Cinco Lanzas during their regular "spanische Woche". Sadly, you can't buy a plain whole cheese; instead, they sell tapas-sized slices of it in tiny packages. The kind they sell is red-wine flavoured, which is fine, but I prefer the plain one.

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, silty1 said:

Lots of great stuff from Ireland in our shops, for sure.  I buy 20 Kerrygold at a time when it goes on sale - so much better than Markenbutter.

I buy Markenbutter for cooking and Kerrygold for spreading...

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wulfrun said:

I buy Markenbutter for cooking and Kerrygold for spreading...

 

Same in our household though any of the cheap Irish butters in the discounters will do. All of them are as good as Kerryygold, just usually from smaller co-ops.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

50 minutes ago, murphaph said:

They set themselves up for the humiliation by marching over to Brussels making demands of the rest of us. We were 28 member states, not the UK + 27. Perhaps we were due more respect rather than tub-thumping British PMs telling us very publicly how the EU should be run?

 

Easy to say when your country is the smallest net contributor or is a benefactor of the EU.

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

Yep the Irish agri-food sector can step into many of the gaps created by tariffs on British foods in the EU. There are far better cheeses in Ireland than Kerrygold for sure.

 

Do you honestly believe British cheese makers will be at all worried about their miniscule exports to the EU (and anyway I would still be happy paying twice as much for a decent English Cheddar), more likely they are rubbing their hands in glee at the prospect of higher prices in the UK for French, Dutch and yes even that inferior Irish cheese and other diary products.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, snowingagain said:

On 1 September Speaker of the HOC instructed MPs not to use Parliamentary Privilege to mention the name of the MP arrested for serious sexual offences in August and was on police bail. MP no longer on bail but has agreed not to return to the HOC for the forseable future.

Investigations continue.

 

Not suggesting it is Mr Francois. His (matching) absence since then could be coincidence.

 

Well well...who knows?

 

At any rate, I think we're touching on a phenomenon that we see from our very own Brexiteers on this thread: behind all the noise and bluster, a deep sense of insecurity and buyer's remorse. Even if they won't ever admit it, you can be sure that deep down they know Brexit is a pig in a poke. 

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, keith2011 said:

 

Do you honestly believe British cheese makers will be at all worried about their miniscule exports to the EU (and anyway I would still be happy paying twice as much for a decent English Cheddar), more likely they are rubbing their hands in glee at the prospect of higher prices in the UK for French, Dutch and yes even that inferior Irish cheese and other diary products.

 

And I thought Fish was the contentious issue, why are all the news organization not talking about Cheese being the main battle ground

 

I think we need to play the cheese https://apk.support/app/com.GoldieGamez.CheeseWars game to take the cheddar out of the issue.

 

Back in the old days before BREXIT, EU used to fight with the US about cheese,  now we fight within Europe.

 

 

Looks like another Benefit of BREXIT.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now