Brexit: The fallout

16,156 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

for example... We have already dealt with the 2 you mentioned...

Well to be honest I'm surprised Amazon UK aren't on the ball. If something is marked on their site having a delivery time of in 2 to 3 months - this takes us into the new year and the incoming parcel would already be subject to German customs in theory. 

What complicates things further is that currently there are neither customs labels nor invoices on or in Amazon parcels. 

I just contacted their chat help - and of course the agent didn't have a clue and said they would email me the answer. :rolleyes: 

1 hour ago, lunaCH said:

My guess is Amazon have already been preparing for some time and maybe they'll have found a customer friendly solution. 

With CH it was simple - just SwissPost to deal with - one deal, sorted. With the EU it's different - they've 27 different postal systems to work with.

My guess is that Amazon UK may not be allowed to ship direct to EU customers or at least not those countries with their own Amazons or as you say they will just stick a customs label on the shipment with all the pain that will involve. Anyone know how it works if you make an order with Amazon USA?

Whatever it will not be a bonanza for online purchases from the UK nor are they likely to be cheaper, perils of leaving the EU

If Nissan have indeed decided to axe Sunderland rather than a less efficient Spanish plant which had previously been in the firing line then it will be the most obvious sign yet that Brexit is a fairly bad idea.

Sunderland is a super efficient plant by all accounts. If Nissan can't make it work under the constraints imposed by Brexit it doesn't bode at all well for an awful lot of British industry which isn't as lean.

Honda are completely closing Swindon. Ford closing Bridgend. Who knows what next. A quote from Autocar:

"Of the 1.3 million cars the UK made last year, 81% were exported, earning the country £42.4bn – equal to 13% of the UK’s total exported goods. The automotive business indirectly employs 864,300 and helps pay the pensions of many more."

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/analysis-british-cars-matter-more-ever-uk-post-brexit

If that all goes down the drain the UK is in serious trouble before we even consider the loss of bigger sectors like financial services.

One of the comments to that Autocar article refers to rumours circulating throughout the Sunderland plant that its future is entirely dependent on a good deal with the EU. Management softening the workforce up for the bad news perhaps.

I'm sure our resident Brexit evangelists can nip over to Sunderland and explain why it's a good idea though.

5 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I'm sure our resident Brexit evangelists can nip over to Sunderland and explain why it's a good idea though.

Will it still be such a friendly audience now, the North East and Sunderland in particular were very pro brexit and I do wonder if the reality of what they voted for has begun to creep in yet!

Spain was in the firing line as it is just a site that has poor work standards etc...

The Sunderland plant was subsidised by the "EU" and as far as I know still gets  benefits..

BUT now that there are no tax advantages and import /export implications are high, thréy may as well shut up shop!

20 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Anyone know how it works if you make an order with Amazon USA?

Yes. At the checkout you get the options:

Amazon Global Standard and Amazon Global Priority (faster and more expensive). 

It's zero-rated for VAT and there is a charge for Import Fee Deposit. 

I did a dummy order now and the charge was US$22.85 on top - for a random shippable item that cost US$99.99. 

It says this (the 22.85) is the maximum charge possible and that if importing costs Amazon less you're refunded the difference. 

So Amazon US do it for you and the shipment is sent first from Amazon US to an Amazon warehouse site in the EU - then it is forwarded to you as an intra-EU parcel not subject to customs. Less hassle for the customer - but of course there is the charge. 

It appears to be exactly the same as when Amazon UK/EU ship to CH. Apart from the higher charge which when I send to CH for some reason I never have. :) 

Hope that helps.

Great!

A tweet from someone we have never heard of! 

6 hours ago, murphaph said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NickGibbs/status/1330850414917455873

If true and it is by no means confirmed it means Nissan will close Sunderland plant. Yeah yeah, Nissan is closing other EU plants too as it leaves Europe to Renault. 

Let's have a look at what was confirmed.

New Nissan Qashqai to be built at Sunderland plant  (BBC, 13.11.20)

Nissan's new hybrid Qashqai model will be built at the firm's Sunderland plant, it has been confirmed.

The third-generation of the compact SUV will go on sale next year, although its production will not create any jobs at the Wearside factory.

The firm had previously only said the vehicle would be manufactured in Europe and it has not announced when work will begin.

The Qashqai, which came out in 2006, is the plant's most successful car. Nissan said further details would be announced next spring.

And also, why would Nissan make a decision before the results of the UK EU negotiations were announced?   

Surely, they would be eager to find out what the deal was first? 

Oh, noes!  The panicking continues! 

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

If Nissan have indeed decided to axe Sunderland rather than a less efficient Spanish plant which had previously been in the firing line then it will be the most obvious sign yet that Brexit is a fairly bad idea.

Pfffft!  :lol:

I thought the big car park and the increased dogging in Kent was the most obvious sign!

Make your tiny mind up, Murphy! 

Typically car plants aren't shut overnight. They usually wait until the model being produced goes end of life and then don't equip the plant for the next generation, gradually letting the workforce go as the plant winds down (older models don't sell as well). If they actually shut the plant before the currently produced models are withdrawn from the market that will be nothing short of a complete indictment of what this Tory government is doing to the British economy.

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

Typically car plants aren't shut overnight. They usually wait until the model being produced goes end of life and then don't equip the plant for the next generation, gradually letting the workforce go as the plant winds down (older models don't sell as well). If they actually shut the plant before the currently produced models are withdrawn from the market that will be nothing short of a complete indictment of what this Tory government is doing to the British economy.

Not quite right...

Bently are made in Crewe Cheshire...  70% of the parts are imported... 

On 21/11/2020, 10:57:17, lunaCH said:

obtaining the new residence cards for British citizens resident in Germany. 

You should contact your local Foreigners Authority to find out how to proceed with obtaining your residence document. You can also check the list of links below to see if your Foreigners Authority has published guidance for UK nationals in their area. If you have contacted your local Foreigners Authority but not yet received a response, it is likely that you will do so in the coming months. 

I emailed my local foreigners authority and was promptly emailed back saying they have added me to their list

Information will be sent soon about how to obtain the card but apparently they will not be issuing any before the end of the year because the local offices have still not received the information themselves on how to proceed and the law doesn't come into effect until 1.1.21 anyway and you have to be a resident on 31.12.20 to qualify. :rolleyes: 

Get in touch with your local office if you have not done so.

On 11/24/2020, 10:39:47, lunaCH said:

I emailed my local foreigners authority and was promptly emailed back saying they have added me to their list

Information will be sent soon about how to obtain the card but apparently they will not be issuing any before the end of the year because the local offices have still not received the information themselves on how to proceed and the law doesn't come into effect until 1.1.21 anyway and you have to be a resident on 31.12.20 to qualify. :rolleyes: 

Get in touch with your local office if you have not done so.

My local office actually contacted me in April 2019, informing me that they will contact me again when the arrangements are finalised.

Just picked this up from 'Brits In Germany'

If you have already reported your stay to the Ausländerbehörde, you do not need to do so again. Even if you have not heard anything having acted some time ago, this does not mean that you will be forgotten. The authorities might not have started with the relevant procedures: most authorities will not do so before the end of November 2020 at the earliest. They will contact you. We only recommend checking back if you have not heard from them by February or March 2021 or if you need the papers earlier for some reason.

On 23/11/2020, 21:07:25, keith2011 said:

Anyone know how it works if you make an order with Amazon USA?

I've ordered stuff from Amazon US to both the UK and the UAE. The process is pretty much the same, you get the to the checkout and and "import fee deposit" is added on to the order.

In the case of ordering from Amazon US to the UK, I have sometimes had the import fee deposit completely refunded once the item has been delivered.

If I order from Amazon UK to the UAE, when I get the the checkout VAT is removed, and an import duty deposit is added (I think 5%)

Is anybody still waiting to hear whether they will be covered by reciprocal healthcare after 1.1.2021? 

I know this is covered in the Withdrawal Agreement, but my Krankenkasse still haven't told me whats happening.  They also sound a bit nervous to it all with 3 messages in the last week or so from them telling me to sit tight.  

As someone drawing the UK State pension, its stated in black and white, the current arrangements for current holders are to continue.  The UK Government,

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthcare-in-germany?utm_source=9e2b6cc0-1473-4e46-9443-515d1bfa4d59&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=immediate

BundesGesundheistministerium https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/en/topics/brexit.html?fbclid=IwAR3R-wyONuZW0A8qWjP1Knso-92HJm9KhZdbVhkleEB_JVq-PNfJurqtVDA   and the outfit which co-ordinates health insurance for foreigners here (DVKA) all spell it out on their websites.

https://www.dvka.de/de/informationen/brexit/citizens/pensioners.html

You can't but help be a bit suspicious about what's happening in the current UK-EU negotiations. Even though we're told this (what they call social security co-ordination) has all been sorted out.  

I'll shall be firing off more than a few irate emails in the direction of (mainly) the UK's representatives, if it turns out they've messed this up in their rush to finalise everything next month. 

Once you're retired, you can't just top up your earnings if you're a bit low in funds. 

21 minutes ago, alexunterwegs said:

Once you're retired, you can't just top up your earnings if you're a bit low in funds.

Have you given any thought on what you'll do if your government decides at some point in the future to stop funding the current system? Or do you trust your goverment to fulfill their obligations? My question has nothing to with the legal drafts, but rather your assessment of your government.