Brexit: The fallout

14,306 posts in this topic

On 10/21/2020, 8:27:54, balticus said:

Not fired, but reprimanded.  

But look at the others in the photo.   Beer belly in back.   Guy looking at his phone.   Woman chewing her nails.    What happened to British manners?

They ended up on Toytown!😂

On 21/10/2020, 07:27:54, balticus said:

Beer belly

I don't know if this is lack of manners or more the absence of a calorie controlled diet. Perhaps manners-wise the belly should be squinched in and covered with a girdle and then a closed jacket? :)

4 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

Anyway just two more moths and a bit to go before the flipping transition period and the circus that came with it is all over.

Be careful what you wish for. The real circus might just start then.

5 hours ago, lunaCH said:

Looks like I'm not the only one tired of waiting. 

What are you actually waiting for though ?

When everything is over what is actually going to be different for you personally ?

This I`ve not seen adequately answered by anyone yet.

My personal worst case scenario is getting divorced, therefore not being able to acquire nationality in an EU country, as that is dependent on my continuous married status to an EU national,  then ending up having to make do with a renewable (in theory) residence permit, which would probably not be granted because I have no independent income or medical insurance (all goes through hubby). This would, in theory, mean I would have no legal basis for living - or working - in the same country as my daughter, who is still a minor. Yes, really. If they follow the roolz doggedly.

10 minutes ago, Keleth said:

What are you actually waiting for though ? When everything is over what is actually going to be different for you personally ? This I`ve not seen adequately answered by anyone yet. 

Fair questions. And yes I think others should answer as well. 

I think it is going to be interesting to see what happens regarding all of the rules centring around VAT, duty and customs in general. We don't know all of the details of this yet. And this affects me more than just for posting a few bits and pieces back and forth and concern over my amazon orders !! Though of course these things are going to be affected too.

10 minutes ago, optimista said:

My personal worst case scenario is getting divorced, therefore not being able to acquire nationality in an EU country, as that is dependent on my continuous married status to an EU national,  then ending up having to make to with a renewable (in theory) residence permit, which would probably not be granted because I have no independent income or medical insurance (all goes through hubby). This would, in theory, mean I would have no legal basis for living in the same country as my daughter, who is still a minor. Yes, really. If they follow the roolz doggedly.

My understanding was that if you're resident on 31.12.20. then your personal situation is irrelevant and you're classed as Alt-Briten / EU WA beneficiary and come under the old rules for life. It shouldn't matter about divorce and you certainly don't need to change nationality, you're already here, so is your daughter and that's it. 

We're not going to get renewable residence permits. We're going to be issued with residence cards - which is something different. :)

That's the theory Luna. I am in France. The doors are closed in practice. But in the papers they are saying they are smoothing the way for people to get nationality. Utter bullshit, I know.

A piffling renewable residence permit - that is what they are issuing in France - is not going to cut it for me. I have applied for it. Twice. And it is not going to be issued automatically. Far from it. There are most definitely strings attached. Too long to relate here and irrelevant to TT Germany. Sure someone will be along to ask me why I am on here...

There can be discrepancies between what Europe dictates and what the national laws impose... and the fight with local bureaucrats who have their own special roolz, it seems.

35 minutes ago, optimista said:

That's the theory Luna. I am in France.    There can be discrepancies between what Europe dictates and what the national laws impose... and the fight with local bureaucrats who have their own special roolz, it seems.

Sorry didn't realise that you were over the border. It's a shame that all countries are not going to implement the same system. :( After all, the UK is doing just that for most nationalities.

4 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

Sorry didn't realise that you were over the border. It's a shame that all countries are not going to implement the same system. :( After all, the UK is doing just that for most nationalities.

It is not so simple for  non UK nationals after Brexit in the UK.

Depending on various factors, ( nationality, length of time spent in UK, and other factors), they need to apply for residence visas.

2 hours ago, optimista said:

Sure someone will be along to ask me why I am on here...

And for good measure tell you that you're out of touch with all things German.

On 10/23/2020, 11:07:16, Keleth said:

Because Brexit is a big reason the Tories are in power and can seemingly do what they want,be as useless as they want and as corrupt as they want.

"yer but Brexit" is the answer every time they fuck up.

So this is one of the fallouts from Brexit.

Yeah, you are probably right, then, if in an OCDish kind of way.   You gonna blame everything on Brexit, now, Keleth instead of Margret Thatcher? 

On 10/25/2020, 6:55:42, lunaCH said:

On 10/25/2020, 12:54:34, Keleth said:

What are you actually waiting for though ?

I'm absolutely sick of hearing about it to be honest.   It's been non stop piss-farting about since forever. 

People want to know where they stand, on both sides of the Channel, and the EU's inability to get their collective arses in gear is just perpetuating the perpetual piss-farting about that I just allude, too.

On 10/25/2020, 1:13:57, optimista said:

Sure someone will be along to ask me why I am on here...

Go on then!

How come you're on here? 

Is it because France is a failed state? 

I see Gibraltar is back on the menu. Let's revisit what was said back in the day, shall we? 

On 11/20/2018, 11:08:07, swimmer said:

Policy about sovereignty and land trumps a few low paid jobs.  Every last time.

The British perpetually overvalue their supposed largesse, when it comes to Brexit.   No, a few low paid jobs has no influence.   Same as buying a few BMWs doesn't.   Or spending a few Euro in your dotage on G&T on the Costas.

Wrong! 

On 2/2/2020, 10:31:01, murphaph said:

Spain will of course have the support of the other member states. This is a very real practical example of what being in the club means.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/01/brexit-trade-talks-eu-to-back-spain-over-gibraltar-claims

Before the Brexiters cry foul it should be noted that during Spain's accession negotiations it was made clear that the then EEC would back the existing member state (the UK) in the Gibraltar matter. Spain were compelled to open the border in fact.

On 12/10/2017, 11:21:10, murphaph said:

Gibraltar can be more easily thrown under the bus than Northern Ireland. There's no EU27 member state looking for a special status for Gibraltar so the default EU position will be to back the EU member state (Spain) in any dealings surrounding Gibraltar as it backed the UK in 1986 when Spain acceded to the EU and the UK was already a member and forced Spain to open the border.

Spain can shut that land border again now should it so choose. 

Whether or not it will remains to be seen. Gibraltar provides employment in an area of high unemployment. But will be Spain's decision alone how hard that border will be.

To be honest, I don't think anyone apart from Spain cares, Murphy. 

Spain and Gibraltar seek last-minute Brexit deal  (Financial Times, 27.10.20) 

Spain and Gibraltar are seeking a last-minute Brexit deal to strengthen ties and preserve free movement across their border as they try to avoid reigniting the centuries-old dispute over the territory’s sovereignty.

About 15,000 people cross the Spanish border to work in Gibraltar every day, taking up about half the jobs in the territory. Most of the cross-border workers are Spaniards who have relatively few prospects of finding alternative work in the frontier town of La Linea, where unemployment is close to 40 per cent.

“On the Spanish side, we will leave no stone unturned to get to a deal,” Ms González said. “If we don’t do this . . . the border of Europe [will be] Gibraltar, with all the consequences that this has, but if we invest in a deal, we can create this space of shared prosperity that we have been talking about for a while.”

Mr Picardo has argued for months that under a Schengen-style arrangement many more Spaniards could find work in Gibraltar and in the broader region.

Spain desperately needs this especially at the moment. Let's hope cooler heads prevail between Gibraltar and Spain.