Brexit: The fallout

14,315 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Also off topic but I think you forgot remaining neutral in WW2

You're a gas man Keith. You have a go at me for my attitude but feel quite free to criticise Ireland's past at will. Hypocritical much?

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

Only the thicker skinned ones Keith. It's not ranting if it's just stating historical fact. Some thinner skinned Brits don't like to be reminded about the bad stuff Britain has done. That's not my problem.

4 minutes ago, murphaph said:

You're a gas man Keith. You have a go at me for my attitude but feel quite free to criticise Ireland's past at will. Hypocritical much?

I guess you are not so thick skinned after all, Murphy. 

6 minutes ago, murphaph said:

1 minute ago, hellfire99 said:

I guess you are not so thick skinned after all, Murphy. 

Well hf I don't often agree with you but I could not have said it better!

14 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Eire although officially neutral, it did help the allies in various ways during WW2

Eire provided the detailed weather reports, that made the invasion in 1944 possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_neutrality_during_World_War_II

38 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Ireland was neutral on the side of the allies. Overflights of Donegal were known about and Ireland turned a blind eye, drastically shortening the distance allied planes needed to fly to reach the open ocean to protect the convoys.

Allied prisoners of war (usually ditched airmen and sailors) were dropped off at the border and allowed to make their way across to rejoin their comrades in arms. German airmen and sailors were interred for the duration of the war at the Curragh Camp. 

Ireland also marked its entire coastline with waymarkers and provided the RAF with detailed maps to aid navigation.

Dublin and Drogheda also sent their fire brigades to the assistance of Belfast during the blitz.

Crucially as the tide of war turned, Ireland maintained its official stance of neutrality, rather than declaring war on the axis like so many other neutral countries who just wanted a share of the spoils of war for themselves.

See Keith, they don't teach any of that in Britain either.

On 7/30/2018, 1:04:02, arunadasi said:

I frankly don't see how they can close the border. Within 10 km of my home there are at least six country roads cutting across the border, through forests, over fields, roads so narrow there's no room for 2 vehicles to pass; probably even more roads, but those are the ones I've crossed. People go back and forth all the time.

You don't even know where the border is; it's not marked and the Irish don't know. Are they going to put up a wall?

Northern Ireland voted Remain. People here are saying they'd rather cut off the UK than cut off Ireland.

We shall see.

Did I really write this two years ago?

Covid 19 has effectively closed the border. The border counties of Monaghan, Cavan, and Donegal are now at level 4 in Ireland and the rest of Ireland, with much lower infection rates as these counties, are still at Level 3.
I expect there will be gardai on the prowl, stopping cars and asking what you're up to and where you're off to.

4 hours ago, balticus said:

murphaph needs to portray your position as extreme for his own mental bookkeeping. 

I don't like BoJo's haircut or his Covid lockdown policy, but find his Brexit negotiating okay or even decent.   This mixture is like division by zero for murphaph's tribal driven processor.  

🤯

You`re the person who thinks Trumps handling of Covid was good so your opinion on something like Brexit is not worth shit.

Brexit: Trade talks with the EU are over, says No 10

No 10 argued there was "no point" in discussions continuing next week unless the EU was prepared to discuss the detailed legal text of a partnership.

UK chief negotiator Lord Frost said he had told EU counterpart Michel Barnier there was now no "basis" for planned talks on Monday.

Number 10 said the two sides had agreed to talk again next week - by phone.

Earlier, EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen tweeted that the Brussels negotiating team would go to London after the weekend to "intensify" discussions.

France's Europe minister Clément Beaune told BBC Newsnight that, while the EU would not pursue a deal at any cost, "we will listen to what the UK side wants to say to us".

Meanwhile, ratings agency Moody's has downgraded the UK's credit status, citing falling economic strength due to the coronavirus pandemic and uncertainty over Brexit.

This thread is turning into insulting murphaph and how bad Ireland is going to do rather than extolling the virtues of Brexit.

That to me says a lot.

5 minutes ago, Keleth said:

This thread is turning into insulting murphaph and how bad Ireland is going to do rather than extolling the virtues of Brexit.

That to me says a lot.

Guess what the thread is called, Keleth! 

hh.JPG.2181aedfaa94af148fa8546a5f17180e.

Ireland getting dry bummed by the EU commission is part of that fall out, is it not. 

And for the record in case it needs clarification, I have no problems whatsoever with ordinary Brits who didn't vote for this. In fact I have a great deal of genuine sympathy for those Brits who are now dealing with the reality of the pack of lies your fellow countrymen swallowed without question. I can imagine how angry I would feel if my European citizenship was stripped from me by neanderthal knuckledraggers. It must be quite infuriating for many of you.

3 hours ago, murphaph said:

And before I'm accused of having a rose tinted view of my own country, here's a list of things we can be rightly ashamed of:

- letting the church take control of the state for decades after independence

- turning a blind eye for far too long to clerical child sexual abuse

- anti-Semitic turning away of Jewish refugees from central Europe during the Nazi era

etc.

- produced the preachiest pop group of all time - U2.   

🤮

40 minutes ago, hellfire99 said:

Guess what the thread is called, Keleth! 

hh.JPG.2181aedfaa94af148fa8546a5f17180e.

Ireland getting dry bummed by the EU commission is part of that fall out, is it not. 

But wouldn`t you rather be showing how excellently Brexit is going for the UK rather than how bad it is going to be for others.

I always thought it better to be pleased with how well it is going for your side rather than schadenfreude for the other side.

It`s like with American politics where because one side has shown to have no actual policies they concentrate on how bad it would be for the other side because that`s all they`ve got.

5 hours ago, Janx Spirit said:

Image may contain: text that says "You've got to chuckle at the poor Brexitists, outraged by the EU's latest refusal to roll over & obey Global Britain. "Who do they think they are?!" They're the 27 leaders of the sovereign states brought together in the world's largest democratic alliance. That's who they are."

Why all the shouting? :unsure: 

5 hours ago, Feierabend said:

I find Murphaph's posts informative and reasonable.

Oh golly, LOL, I nearly sprayed my tea out. :lol: 

5 hours ago, arunadasi said:

I frankly don't see how they can close the border. Within 10 km of my home there are at least six country roads cutting across the border, through forests, over fields, roads so narrow there's no room for 2 vehicles to pass; probably even more roads, but those are the ones I've crossed. People go back and forth all the time.

You don't even know where the border is; it's not marked and the Irish don't know. Are they going to put up a wall?

Northern Ireland voted Remain. People here are saying they'd rather cut off the UK than cut off Ireland.

We shall see.

Yes I checked, you did. And it was reasonable to write that at that time. :) 

I said the same about the Swiss/German border. Then corona happened. :angry:

3 hours ago, Keleth said:

You`re the person who thinks Trumps handling of Covid was good so your opinion on something like Brexit is not worth shit.

Whilst I am worried about or disagree with some of @balticus's posts on corona, they're one of the few here who have it spot on regarding Brexit. Also unlike some others on here, they discuss and use the forum properly on all topics without having to resort to swearing, insults or other filth, just to try to win the argument which they lost way back. About 4 years or so back I think. :) 

All you Brits relying on GBP fixed payments can ask Nige Farridge for financial advice:

Not wise, unless you live somewhere where GBP is the currency. ;) 

The picture opens, I see him and the offer, but it's not clickable. :( Please assist.

2 hours ago, arunadasi said:

We shall see.

Covid 19 has effectively closed the border. The border counties of Monaghan, Cavan, and Donegal are now at level 4 in Ireland and the rest of Ireland, with much lower infection rates as these counties, are still at Level 3.

I expect there will be gardai on the prowl, stopping cars and asking what you're up to and where you're off to.

Closing a border is not so difficult, you just have to put containers on the road (and fill them with stones to make them a little bit heavier, if necessarary)

That' what they dis at the border between St. martin and Sint Maarten in the Caribean in spring.

22-05-2020-OYSTER.jpg