Brexit: The fallout

14,096 posts in this topic

Good find John. Regular viewers will be familiar with the tactics at play on this thread. Any attempt (especially by our British friends who are appalled at the way things are going) to question current events are met with howls of "sore loser". The fact that Brexit as promised by the current PM and most of his cabinet and his chief "advisor" looks absolutely nothing like what is now being delivered should not be discussed!

1 minute ago, murphaph said:

Good find John. 

John spent hours trawling the internet to find something that you guys can be upset about and all you can say is, 'good find'! 

3 minutes ago, murphaph said:

... especially by our British friends who are appalled at the way things are going ...

We are just going round in circles again where you make stuff up and then moan about the stuff you have just made up. 

37 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Good find John. Regular viewers will be familiar with the tactics at play on this thread. Any attempt (especially by our British friends who are appalled at the way things are going) to question current events are met with howls of "sore loser". The fact that Brexit as promised by the current PM and most of his cabinet and his chief "advisor" looks absolutely nothing like what is now being delivered should not be discussed!

Do you really believe you have any British friends left after so much anti British ranting?

Factbox: Industry reaction to UK PM Johnson's Brexit statement

Following is initial industry reaction:

HELEN DICKINSON, CHIEF EXECUTIVE OF THE BRITISH RETAIL CONSORTIUM:

“There is nothing retailers can do to insulate consumers from the impact of 3 billion pounds ($3.9 billion) of new tariffs on food in our supermarkets. Moreover, new checks and red tape that will apply from 1st January will create additional disruption in the supply of many goods that come from or through the EU.

Government must do what is necessary to agree a zero-tariff agreement, or else it will be the public that pay the price.”

ALLIE RENISON, SENIOR POLICY ADVISOR AT THE INSTITUTE OF DIRECTORS

“Few would doubt that getting ready for no deal in the middle of a pandemic will be a Herculean task for many businesses. Our figures show that most directors think that COVID will magnify the impact of no deal.

“While there may be opportunities on the other side of transition, it remains imperative to minimise the risks in getting there to maximise any future benefits. Both sides must keep their eyes on the prize of a deal, which is in everyone’s best interests.”

IAN WRIGHT, CHIEF EXECUTIVE, FOOD AND DRINK FEDERATION:

“The Prime Minister’s statement signals that we are heading into very dangerous territory.

“In the event of a no-deal Brexit, shoppers will - literally - pay a heavy price. Imported food and drink from the EU will face eye-watering tariffs, averaging 18%, and kick-starting price rises.

“At the same time, border delays and disruption will bring further costs which will not be subsumed by industry. A no-deal outcome is bad for food and drink businesses, bad for food security, and bad for every household in Great Britain.”

MIKE CHERRY, CHAIRMAN, FEDERATION OF SMALL BUSINESSES:

“More than four years on from the referendum, clarity is needed now more than ever. A pro-business, ambitious trade agreement remains the best outcome.

“The last time we were told to prepare for a no-deal scenario you saw a big uptick in stockpiling. There simply isn’t the cash or staff capacity to make that possible this time round, with a lot of employees still furloughed amid weak demand.

“A lot of small businesses have shelled out thousands to make their premises safe at a time when they had little or no revenue coming in, only to be told to close.

“If the Government wants firms to step up preparations for a new relationship with the EU, it needs to make doing so financially viable. At the moment, thousands of small businesses are running on near empty.”

2 hours ago, lunaCH said:

:huh: Who hates the EU?

murphaph needs to portray your position as extreme for his own mental bookkeeping. 

I don't like BoJo's haircut or his Covid lockdown policy, but find his Brexit negotiating okay or even decent.   This mixture is like division by zero for murphaph's tribal driven processor.  

🤯

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

The fact that Brexit as promised by the current PM and most of his cabinet and his chief "advisor" looks absolutely nothing like what is now being delivered should not be discussed!

The old Frank Drebin "move along, nothing to see here" routine

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

The fact that Brexit as promised by the current PM and most of his cabinet and his chief "advisor" looks absolutely nothing like what is now being delivered should not be discussed!

"Looks absolutely nothing like" is more hyperbole.

The world is dynamic and the Remain position probably looks different from 4 years ago.

2 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Do you really believe you have any British friends left after so much anti British ranting?

Only the thicker skinned ones Keith. It's not ranting if it's just stating historical fact. Some thinner skinned Brits don't like to be reminded about the bad stuff Britain has done. That's not my problem.

7 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Only the thicker skinned ones Keith. It's not ranting if it's just stating historical fact. Some thinner skinned Brits don't like to be reminded about the bad stuff Britain has done. That's not my problem.

Typical of your sadly bitter outlook that the past is more important than the present or the future.

Off topic to, this is about brexit not the rights or wrongs of the British empire.

Keith, the past is with us today! The past is why Northern Ireland became a centre point of Brexit negotiations. The past has valuable lessons for us. Ignore the past at your peril.

The fact is Brits have a largely rose tinted view of their country's history. Not so much is taught of the oppression of Roman Catholics, especially in Ireland. Not so much is taught about the British concentration camps in South Africa. Not so much is taught about the famines in Ireland and Bengal that killed millions. Not so much is taught of what an utter racist Churchill was. Not so much is taught of things like the Siege of Drogheda.

At least the Germans faced up to their dodgy past and put it on the school curriculum.

And before I'm accused of having a rose tinted view of my own country, here's a list of things we can be rightly ashamed of:

- letting the church take control of the state for decades after independence

- turning a blind eye for far too long to clerical child sexual abuse

- anti-Semitic turning away of Jewish refugees from central Europe during the Nazi era

etc.

18 minutes ago, murphaph said:

And before I'm accused of having a rose tinted view of my own country, here's a list of things we can be rightly ashamed of:

- anti-Semitic turning away of Jewish refugees from central Europe during the Nazi era

etc.

Also off topic but I think you forgot remaining neutral in WW2

3 hours ago, hellfire99 said:

Looks like another Murphy meltdown is on its way. 

I hate to say, I told you so, but, I told you so! 

18 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Not so much is taught of things like the Siege of Drogheda.  

The Siege of Drogheda took place on 3–11 September 1649.

Yes, if there had been a dramatization on the telly, maybe starring Michael 'you were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off' Cane as Oliver Cromwell, then I for one would have voted remain! 

12 minutes ago, murphaph said:

etc.

Any chance you can bore off and start another thread about why you hate the British and the British Empire? 

You are the only one constantly banging on about it. 

Is this Projekt Fear Part VIII, where you post quotes from mentally challenged people and tell us Brexiteers that we are all outraged when we are not? 

:lol:

Remember, Janxy!  "Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!" 

As as a British/Irish citizen brought up and educated between both countries, I find Murphaph's posts informative and reasonable. 

British history was indeed taught very uncritically, and the Ireland of my childhood was dominated by uncritical submission to the church. 

I grew up very grateful for the British welfare state, free education right through university (then), wonderful public libraries. I am so sad to see it succumbing into narrow minded populism and jingoistic 3-word slogans. The Ireland I know now is a largely transformed place, certainly helped by EU membership.

As a close Anglo- Irish friend once joked to me..” isn’t it terrible what we Brits did to us Irish?”😂