Brexit: The fallout

14,313 posts in this topic

On 05/10/2020, 23:25:58, murphaph said:

What Thatcher’s failed attempt to prevent the reunification of Germany 30 years ago can teach Brexit Britain. 

This left her weakened internationally and isolated at home. It contributed to her downfall in 1990 and had lasting consequences for Britain’s relations with the European Union. Thirty years on, it offers a cautionary tale for British diplomacy after Brexit: not least in its tendency to exaggerate British influence; to vest too much in displays of ‘strength’ and ‘resolve’; and to blame others for its mistakes.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2020/10/britain-end-history

6 hours ago, john_b said:

lasting consequences for Britain’s relations with the European Union.

In part wasn't that a good thing in her mind? She was against an ever-closer union, change of currency, giving up sovereignty etc.

1 minute ago, El Jeffo said:

Somebody's stuck in a feedback loop.

Sorry wrong thread. 

Please visit the trump thread.

15 minutes ago, yesterday said:

seems like all the trolls are out tonight ( oktoberfest must be over ), o wait a moment where is HF

What can I do for you? 

( I know, I know! ) but I can’t forget Alan, the newsagent where I was a paperboy in Southend, used to greet his customers with “ what can I do you for?”

21 minutes ago, yesterday said:

seems like all the trolls are out tonight

Here we go again! :wacko:

1 minute ago, john g. said:

( I know, I know! ) but I can’t forget Alan, the newsagent where I was a paperboy in Southend, used to greet his customers with “ what can I do you for?”

It's the way it is John, some things just linger in the mind. :)

26 minutes ago, yesterday said:

seems like all the trolls are out tonight ( oktoberfest must be over ), o wait a moment where is HF

Must be my eyesight! I read HF and thought “ Hauptbahnhof.”

😂

1 hour ago, balticus said:

European hopes that several thousand bankers from London would move to the Continent as a result of Brexit have thus far not materialized ...   partly due to the EU realization that financial deals aren't really workable without the British. :rolleyes:

The EU has also shown its stubbornness ...  the EU is insisting on an obligatory mechanism for solving future disputes. :rolleyes:

How can I invest in a smuggler business? Are there any shares listed at the LSE?