Brexit: The fallout

13,682 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, yesterday said:

Well, what my boss says about  opinions

 

opinions are like assholes, ie everyone has one.

 

I remember reading somewhere that Cliff Richards has a colostomy so technically he has two ... ahem ... opinions! 

 

I'm not sure if it was fake news, mind! 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That there will be special areas near to the UK border with France is hardly something unusual given the that the island of GB will no longer be in the CU from 1.1.21. Such areas exist all around the EU borders with non-EU countries. Examples that come to mind: the Noway/Sweden border, the Swiss/German border, the Swiss/Austrian border, the Swiss/Italian border, the Swiss/French border, the Liechtenstein/Austrian border, the Finland/Russia border etc. etc. Not sure what the fuss is about.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

Not sure what the fuss is about.

 

Well, for one thing, all the borders you mention have existing contracts defining what may or may not pass, which tariffs are to be paid, to whom they are to be paid and staff in place who monitors all this. 

 

Or did I misunderstand you? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

all the borders you mention have existing contracts defining what may or may not pass, which tariffs are to be paid, to whom they are to be paid and staff in place who monitors all this.

The UK government has had since mid 2016 to prepare for this. There's no excuse for all of this dither and delay. 4.5 years. Pathetic really.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2020, 8:57:48, dom said:

I'm just waiting now for HF99 to turn up and explain everything. It really doesn't make sense at the moment! :wacko:

On 9/21/2020, 11:40:23, SpiderPig said:

Oh dear... the spunk trumpet is back!..

 

Right on cue! :D

 

On 9/23/2020, 10:47:06, dom said:

 

Come on now, HF, watch this video of BoJo and explain it for us!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's that smell...??
It's like the underside of a bridge... Remember people, if you feed it, it will just come back for more.

Still, at least we all have adequate parking space if we want to go back to the UK - it's called Kent. if only there was a good train service to the rest of the UK.
Could have been Park and Ride on a national scale.. But the conservatives are in government, they couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery at the moment (but on outside shooting birds would be ok, but only 30 people max mind)..

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

What's that smell...??
It's like the underside of a bridge... Remember people, if you feed it, it will just come back for more.

 

I do believe TT deleted some recent posts here very swiftly!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, balticus said:

 

Accusations of racism are dropped on this forum very casually and without substance.   See below.  

 

It is a serious accusation, but used inappropriately on this forum so often that it has lost meaning.   Might want to take that up with the mods.

 

 

Anyone who defends Steve Bannon against charges of racism especially when they bend over backwards to defend him is a racist or a racist sympathiser (same thing as being a racist)

So no it is not an inappropriate accusation against you.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cb6dba said:

What's that smell...??    It's like the underside of a bridge... 

 

It smells like the underside of a bridge?  

 

 :lol:  

 

Meanwhile back on Planet Earth it looks like the EU is backing down. 

 

UK satisfied EU won’t block food exports after Brexit  (Politico, 23.09.20)

 

Quote

 The U.K. is no longer concerned that the EU could block food exports if trade talks fail, saying Wednesday night it has obtained reassurances from Brussels.

 

So-called third-country listing is vital because it confirms the U.K. has met the necessary animal health and biosecurity standards required to export live animals and animal products to the EU.

 

The eighth round of Brexit negotiations finished earlier this month with the U.K. blaming the EU for refusing to grant Britain third-country status — a charge denied by the EU’s chief negotiator Michel Barnier.

 

But the Cabinet Office said Wednesday the EU has confirmed Britain would not be disadvantaged in the process to grant the necessary status.

 

“The EU has now said to us that normal processes will be followed on third-country listings. So there are no obstacles to listing our food and agricultural products as our food standards rules will be exactly the same as the EU’s,” a spokesperson said.

 

The resolution removes a significant source of bad blood in Brexit talks, though several sticking points remain.

 

The row over third-country listings had escalated rapidly in recent weeks with the U.K. accusing the EU of threatening its integrity because not securing the status would prevent Great Britain from moving food to Northern Ireland. Third-country listings were put forward as the main justification for the controversial Internal Market Bill, which would allow U.K. ministers to override some aspects of the divorce deal Britain agreed with the EU27 last year.

 

London had argued that Brussels should not “politicize” the issue because the U.K.’s post-Brexit food safety and animal health standards regime would be the same as the EU’s on day one after the Brexit transition. 

 

The EU thought the UK would just roll over and take it but the penny has dropped; they've overplayed their hand!

 

Quote

Earlier Wednesday, Cabinet Office Minister Michael Gove told the House of Commons that the progress had been made on this issue during recent Brexit negotiations.

 

“The reluctance or the slow pace of granting third-country status for food exports to the U.K. has been concerning but thanks to the prime minister drawing attention to this issue, progress has been made,” he said.

 

Haha, "drawing attention" to this with the IM Bill! 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Can anyone clarify where in Kent they mean these checks for permits etc will be ?

 

Kexit: Internal border in Kent will see HGVs require 'Kent Access Permits' in a bid to prevent post-Brexit gridlock

 

Quote

It is expected the system will be enforced by police or via the use of cameras scanning the number plates of vehicles entering the county at points such as the Dartford Crossing, bringing freight from Essex.

 

Nothing concrete. 

 

You gonna be trucking through the danger zone, Keleth? 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kent could become an independent State and rake in loadsa money! Roadsa money?😝

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lunaCH said:

The UK government has had since mid 2016 to prepare for this. There's no excuse for all of this dither and delay. 4.5 years. Pathetic really.

 

There has been a hell of a lot of political wrangling since the Brexit vote so to say the UK government has had since 2016 to prepare for this completely ignores the reality of the different approaches under different leaders.

 

Teresa May, UK PM from 13 July 2016 to 24 July 2019 seemed to be intent on BRINO and regulatory alignment meaning not much changes for them truckers.

 

Boris 'big balls' Johnson, has been in the job since May burst into tears and left. He's got a totally different approach. 

 

So saying, they've had 4.5 years doesn't reflect the reality of the situation, in my opinion. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Can anyone clarify where in Kent they mean these checks for permits etc will be ?

At Gillingham FC!😃

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, hellfire99 said:

The EU thought the UK would just roll over and take it but the penny has dropped; they've overplayed their hand!

You mean when they wouldn`t grant 3rd country status because the UK wouldn`t tell them what health and safety standards on food they would be using.

Now the UK has said they will use the same standards as the EU they will be probably given 3rd country status.

1 hour ago, hellfire99 said:

Haha, "drawing attention" to this with the IM Bill! 

Which seemingly Johnson doesn`t even know whats in the bill.

Or he let Ed Miliband make him look like he didn`t know as part of some cunning plan.

53 minutes ago, hellfire99 said:

Kexit: Internal border in Kent will see HGVs require 'Kent Access Permits' in a bid to prevent post-Brexit gridlock

Yep I`d read that and as you say nothing concrete.

But hey they`ve got 4 months to sort it out,I`m sure on past experience that`s ample time for this govt.

What about HGVs bringing freight into Kent then,do they get caught up in this or do they have to get some sort of special permit ?

Nm like I said they have 4 months to get it sorted.No problem then.

41 minutes ago, hellfire99 said:

There has been a hell of a lot of political wrangling since the Brexit vote so to say the UK government has had since 2016 to prepare for this completely ignores the reality of the different approaches under different leaders.

Ok the govt is not at fault.

The Conservatives are at fault.

That better ?

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hellfire99 said:

So saying, they've had 4.5 years doesn't reflect the reality of the situation, in my opinion. 

You're right. They've actually had a lot longer. If it had have all been done properly, the details of the aftermath of a possible win for the leave side should have all been sorted out before the referendum was even called. So they've actually had decades. Alas it's too late now. :rolleyes:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dom said:

 

I do believe TT deleted some recent posts here very swiftly!

Strange, up until yesterday no that many posts were being deleted.
Must be the caliber of the poster to blame...

 

I tend to look at it like that Jeepers Creepers film.

Every so often it come back after liking it's wounds  to fill up on whatever it needs to live, attention in this case i'd bet.

Or Herpes, take your pick which one fits better.

 

I've spent a good few hours today ripping the p*ss out of my brexit supporting friends that live in kent..

From he unemployed ones getting their brexit bonus job as car park attendants to the well off ones who will no longer be living in the garden of england, but the car park...

I also said I hope they don't have to pay full price when they want to park their cars... Dummies have been spat out and toys thrown from the pram.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

23 minutes ago, Keleth said:

You mean when they wouldn`t grant 3rd country status because the UK wouldn`t tell them what health and safety standards on food they would be using.

Now the UK has said they will use the same standards as the EU they will be probably given 3rd country status.

 

The EU tried it on and it has backfired spectacularly. 

 

23 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Which seemingly Johnson doesn`t even know whats in the bill.

Or he let Ed Miliband make him look like he didn`t know as part of some cunning plan.

 

No way of knowing that but Ed Miliband just looked like a frothing idiot.  People were laughing at him. 

 

 

23 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Yep I`d read that and as you say nothing concrete.

But hey they`ve got 4 months to sort it out,I`m sure on past experience that`s ample time for this govt.

What about HGVs bringing freight into Kent then,do they get caught up in this or do they have to get some sort of special permit ?

Nm like I said they have 4 months to get it sorted.No problem then.

 

Bringing freight into Kent from the continent? I assume they will have their own problems on the other side. 

 

As for HGVs bringing stuff from neighboring counties to Kent, I've no idea. 

 

Maybe you can find out and let us know how it works?

 

23 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Ok the govt is not at fault.

The Conservatives are at fault.

That better ?

 

You need to read the discussion I was having with lunaCH and you need to understand it, Keleth.   You have simply tagged a spurious argument, an that's being generous, on to the end of the discussion, trying to apportion blame.  The UK has been under a conservative government since the before and after the referendum and Brexit.  So the conservatives have their fingerprints all over this.  But as I have said, PM May was up for BRINO and old Big Balls Johnson is prepared to exit on WTO rules. 

 

It's a nuanced debate which involves more that just saying the Tories are at fault.  Can you understand that? 

 

Here is the discussion again with your meagre offering tagged on the end. 

 

7 hours ago, lunaCH said:

The UK government has had since mid 2016 to prepare for this. There's no excuse for all of this dither and delay. 4.5 years. Pathetic really.

 

1 hour ago, hellfire99 said:

There has been a hell of a lot of political wrangling since the Brexit vote so to say the UK government has had since 2016 to prepare for this completely ignores the reality of the different approaches under different leaders.

 

Teresa May, UK PM from 13 July 2016 to 24 July 2019 seemed to be intent on BRINO and regulatory alignment meaning not much changes for them truckers.

 

Boris 'big balls' Johnson, has been in the job since May burst into tears and left. He's got a totally different approach. 

 

So saying, they've had 4.5 years doesn't reflect the reality of the situation, in my opinion. 

 

24 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Ok the govt is not at fault.

The Conservatives are at fault.

That better ?

 

You see?

 

10 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

You're right. They've actually had a lot longer. If it had have all been done properly, the details of the aftermath of a possible win for the leave side should have all been sorted out before the referendum was even called. So they've actually had decades. Alas it's too late now. :rolleyes:

 

So the leave side should have had a rough working plan to leave the EU decades ago?  In the real world that's the stuff of fantasies. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, hellfire99 said:

So the leave side should have had a rough working plan to leave the EU decades ago?

No, but they have had decades to prepare it. There's a difference. ;) This constant last minute stuff is frankly an embarrassing circus for the UK. I'm not embarrassed or displeased at the result of the referendum in any way. I am thoroughly ashamed though how the UK government has handled the implementation of the referendum result i.e. the will of the people.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

No, but they have had decades to prepare it. There's a difference. ;)

 

Could you give me a few examples of how they would have prepared for leaving from a year 2000 standpoint? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now