Brexit: The fallout

13,704 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

I just scroll past all that shit now. Not wasting another second of my life reading their shite.

You could go to the thread "What am I cooking today?" and actually learn something 😁.

PS- I entered this thread by mistake.

23 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

As far as I can tell reports that UK banks will be closing personal current accounts of non UK residents living in EU countries seems to be nothing more than speculation and dare I say it fake news!

How did you manage to come to that conclusion exactly?

Check out this thread which has info on HSBC & Natwest and furthermore I believe both Barclays and Santander have subsequently denied they are closing accounts of EU residents.

32 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

As far as I can tell reports that UK banks will be closing personal current accounts of non UK residents living in EU countries seems to be nothing more than speculation and dare I say it fake news!

UK banks have sent letters to ex-pat Brits telling them their accounts will be closed before the end of the year. It's been reported by the BBC, The Guardian, The Daily Telegraph, the UK tabloids, members of this forum who have personally received these letters...

What makes you believe this is all made up?

17 minutes ago, Smaug said:

UK banks have sent letters to ex-pat Brits telling them their accounts will be closed

Why? What's special about EU countries? What has changed? I haven't received anything, neither has anyone I know. 

The Daily Mail has also reported it. But as soon as I read that they wrote that the accounts will be illegal, I stopped reading as it is pure nonsense. 

Just because something is written in a newspaper doesn't mean to say it is law. Particularly if it's in a British tabloid. :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Smaug said:

UK banks have sent letters to ex-pat Brits telling them their accounts will be closed before the end of the year. It's been reported by the BBC, The Guardian, The Daily Telegraph, the UK tabloids, members of this forum who have personally received these letters...

What makes you believe this is all made up?

4 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Check out this thread which has info on HSBC & Natwest and furthermore I believe both Barclays and Santander have subsequently denied they are closing accounts of EU residents.

Goalposts being shifted at an Olympic rate today folks! They know there's a shitshow coming in January. We're close to it being too late as any deal needs to be signed off by the various institutions. Notice the promised benefits get pushed out further and further into the future. You just have to believe hard enough.

25 minutes ago, yesterday said:

I guess you mean negotiating in good faith, is signing a document months ago and now saying you are not going to honer it - even thou it was boris himself who signed it.

Where did the UK say they are not going to honor it? 

The UK is putting the IM bill in place in case the EU start playing silly buggers and interfering with goods travelling from the UK to NI or NI to the UK. This situation could arise due to a no deal Brexit caused by the EU acting in bad faith, as they have. 

The EU have broken the agreement due to their shenanigans and the UK, rightly, has put in place measures to stop them.   So I would say, the EU have not honored the agreement. 

Of course, the EU sees Brexit as it is, which is a regional Geopolitical power struggle.  Once free the UK will become a powerful and influential competitor right on the EU's doorstep. 

As I have said, the EU trying to tie the UK to the ECJ or fisheries or the level playing field is simply the EU shitting its pants.  I mean how is it going to look when the UK breaks free and goes from strength to strength? 

If it were simply a trade negotiation they could have probably had it all sorted by now. 

3 hours ago, murphaph said:

We had a settlement everyone could live with in the GFA (based quite firmly as it states in the preamble on continued UK and Irish membership of the EU). That agreement has been put into the shredder by London. 

1 hour ago, hellfire99 said:

As far as I am aware, no one has said they are going to tear up the GFA, put it into the shredder or even flush it down the shitter, Murphy.   Sleepy Joe Biden and that addled Pelosi woman are, of course, excluded. 

I was just reading the preamble to the GFA, Murphy and I couldn't find where it states that the UK has to maintain its EU membership for the GFA to be valid. Could you point out where it say that, please? 

The Belfast Agreement 

Man up and answer the question, Murphy!  

19 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Goalposts being shifted at an Olympic rate today folks! They know there's a shitshow coming in January. We're close to it being too late as any deal needs to be signed off by the various institutions. Notice the promised benefits get pushed out further and further into the future. You just have to believe hard enough.

Pfffft!  :lol:

Who are these posts even replying to or aimed at? 

You've been caught red handed making shit up and now you don't even have the decency to face the music. 

21 minutes ago, murphaph said:

We're close to it being too late ... 

You've been saying this for 4 years as well, lol! 

doomed.jpg.be45c7a331af6be3cf9259d9aa9b5

:lol:

AGREEMENT 
BETWEEN THE GOVERNMENT OF 
THE UNITED KINGDOM OF 
GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND 
AND 
THE GOVERNMENT 
OF IRELAND 
The British and Irish Governments: 
Welcoming the strong commitment to the Agreement reached on 10th 
April 1998 by themselves and other participants in the multi-party talks 
and set out in Annex 1 to this Agreement (hereinafter "the Multi-Party 
Agreement"); 
Considering that the Multi-Party Agreement offers an opportunity for a 
new beginning in relationships within Northern Ireland, within the island 
of Ireland and between the peoples of these islands; 
Wishing to develop still further the unique relationship between their 
peoples and the close co-operation between their countries as friendly 
neighbours and as partners in the European Union; 

Reaffirming their total commitment to the principles of democracy and 
non-violence which have been fundamental to the multi-party talks; 
Reaffirming their commitment to the principles of partnership, equality 
and mutual respect and to the protection of civil, political, social, 
economic and cultural rights in their respective jurisdictions; 
Have agreed as follows:

Etc.

Now everybody we can expect the trolls to descend on this and scream like lunatics that it doesn't explicitly say that Ireland and the UK should remain in the EU. It was simply taken for granted and the good thing is, it's not a court of law that will decide if the UK has acted in bad faith wrt the GFA. It will be decided by the EU member states themselves and by members of the United States Congress. They will have to answer to their voters.

3 minutes ago, murphaph said:

AGREEMENT 
BETWEEN THE GOVERNMENT OF 
THE UNITED KINGDOM OF 
GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND 
AND 
THE GOVERNMENT 
OF IRELAND 
The British and Irish Governments: 
Welcoming the strong commitment to the Agreement reached on 10th 
April 1998 by themselves and other participants in the multi-party talks 
and set out in Annex 1 to this Agreement (hereinafter "the Multi-Party 
Agreement"); 
Considering that the Multi-Party Agreement offers an opportunity for a 
new beginning in relationships within Northern Ireland, within the island 
of Ireland and between the peoples of these islands; 
Wishing to develop still further the unique relationship between their 
peoples and the close co-operation between their countries as friendly 
neighbours and as partners in the European Union; 

Reaffirming their total commitment to the principles of democracy and 
non-violence which have been fundamental to the multi-party talks; 
Reaffirming their commitment to the principles of partnership, equality 
and mutual respect and to the protection of civil, political, social, 
economic and cultural rights in their respective jurisdictions; 
Have agreed as follows:

Etc.

Now everybody we can expect the trolls to descend on this and scream like lunatics that it doesn't explicitly say that Ireland and the UK should remain in the EU. It was simply taken for granted and the good thing is, it's not a court of law that will decide if the UK has acted in bad faith wrt the GFA. It will be decided by the EU member states themselves and by members of the United States Congress. They will have to answer to their voters.

So you're trying to tell me that this means the UK leaving the EU breaks the GFA. :lol:

Put your crack pipe away, Murphy and get real! 

Ha.  New border in Kent now.  Even though they have a Deal (sorry stolen from Twitter).  PS loving the new sweary murphaph.

Lol it's me being me and not minding my manners with these twats.

The Kent border would make you cry it's so hypocritical. This government that has made a huge issue over having no internal border between GB and NI seems to see no problem in a regulatory border between Kent and the rest of England. 

I'm sure one of the trolls will be along soon to explain it to us thickos.

41 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Lol it's me being me and not minding my manners with these twats.

The Kent border would make you cry it's so hypocritical. This government that has made a huge issue over having no internal border between GB and NI seems to see no problem in a regulatory border between Kent and the rest of England. 

I'm sure one of the trolls will be along soon to explain it to us thickos.

I think they are on a 9 to 5 shift today so don't hold your breath, unless Putin has them on overtime.

2 minutes ago, Smaug said:

I think they are on a 9 to 5 shift today so don't hold your breath, unless Putin has them on overtime.

I think they're waiting for new instructions on how to shift the goalposts again. Their handlers can't keep up with this chaotic shitshow either.