Brexit: The fallout

13,704 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

Now I just want the UK out of Ireland.

If Northern Ireland leaves the UK to reunite with Ireland I would think the name of the country will revert back to Great Britain, since the crown dependencies and overseas territories are not part of the UK. The name UK only came about when GB and Ireland merged into one country.

22 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

If Northern Ireland leaves the UK to reunite with Ireland I would think the name of the country will revert back to Great Britain, since the crown dependencies and overseas territories are not part of the UK. The name UK only came about when GB and Ireland merged into one country.

"Little Britain" would be just perfect!

From murphah's excellent article above

The government says this is not a prediction but an illustration of what could be reasonably expected.

So, a prediction.

As for naming the whole of Ireland, Great Ireland.

1 hour ago, lunaCH said:

I don't really give a fuck what they call themselves. I just want the land border gone now. We had a settlement everyone could live with in the GFA (based quite firmly as it states in the preamble on continued UK and Irish membership of the EU). That agreement has been put into the shredder by London. The Scots can decide if they really want to be attached at the waist to this England I no longer recognise as a place I spent many happy childhood summers in. I don't know if England was always like this under the surface or if it's a new thing but I'm beyond caring tbh. Ireland needs to be united to push this Brexit created border problem off our island and back to where it belongs in Britain. The British border in Ireland has run its course.

1 hour ago, dom said:

Indeed. This is the freedom loving UK that has more CCTV cameras per capita than pretty much anywhere else in the world. But this will be lapped up like dogs by the usual suspects.

22 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I don't really give a fuck what they call themselves. I just want the land border gone now.

The land border is open. :)

Further changes are not up to you alone and do not depend upon what you want personally. That is a decision for the people of Northern Ireland and the position of the British government is clear on this. The point where a majority are in favour of Northern Ireland reuniting with Ireland may not have been reached yet. When it is reasonably clear that it may have been reached then a referendum should be held. ;)

16 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Indeed. This is the freedom loving UK that has more CCTV cameras per capita than pretty much anywhere else in the world. But this will be lapped up like dogs by the usual suspects.

Indeed, murphaph!😂

D88BF7BC-7219-4A31-B3AD-85B8FC69D845.jpeg

U.K. Must ‘Stop the Games’ on Brexit, German Diplomat Says

Germany’s Deputy Foreign Minister Michael Roth slammed the U.K.’s strategy in Brexit talks, saying that the lack of progress is disappointing and that a recent bill that seeks to override parts of the divorce agreement is unacceptable.

The European Union fully backs its Chief Negotiator Michel Barnier and is committed to a fair deal, Roth told reporters on Tuesday before a meeting of European Affairs Ministers in Brussels.

“But please, dear friends in London, stop the games. Time is running out,” he said, adding that the U.K.’s Internal Market Bill is extremely worrying.

The contentious element of the bill involves changes to the Withdrawal Agreement’s protocol for Northern Ireland, which shares a land border with the EU. Northern Ireland Secretary Brandon Lewis said on Sept. 8 that the legislation would break international law in a “specific and limited way.”

The bill, which triggered a storm in the U.K. and abroad, “violates the guiding principles of the withdrawal agreement and that’s totally unacceptable for us,” Roth said.

23 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Read https://aithority.com/news/top-10-countries-and-cities-by-number-of-cctv-cameras/

Yes, the UK has more cameras than Germany, but it is only one more camera per 100 person then Germany. A part from USA and China there it not really a big difference between  a lot of countries.

" The United States has 15.28 CCTV cameras every 100 individuals, followed by China with 14.36 and the United Kingdom with 7.5. Other top 10 countries include Germany with 6.27 cameras per 100 individuals, Netherlands 5.8, Australia 4, Japan 2.72, France 2.46 and South Korea 1.99. "

7 minutes ago, yesterday said:

UK has more cameras than Germany, but it is only one more camera per 100 person then Germany. A part from USA and China there it not really a big difference between  a lot of countries.

:huh: How are they counted? Anyone can install CCTV cameras on their property, but they don't necessarily advertise or register this fact anywhere. The figures are pure guestimates? Could they actually be far higher?

The report doesn't state where those cameras are. If I put up CCTV on my property it doesn't bother anyone. In Germany indeed the camera may only capture images from my own property and even if a camera is off or a dummy it may not point over at your neighbour as he will feel "watched".

We're really interested in the use of CCTV in the public realm. A walk down any high street in the UK will reveal cameras all over the place. In Germany, not so much. 

13 minutes ago, murphaph said:

In Germany indeed the camera may only capture images from my own property

In practice, legally speaking, this is correct. The reality though is very different.

https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/388025-neighbor-installed-ir-night-hunting-webcam-facing-my-garden-and-property/

https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/388189-photography-law-while-not-photographing/

51 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Not sure you're going to get a lot of traction on that issue considering that the vast majority of people on TT are open minded to a complete lockdown of western society right now, but i digress.

Speaking of digressions, the widespread use of CCTV cameras in the UK has nothing to do with Brexit and has been a feature for years.  

You could open up a thread like "Only in the UK" or "Only in Great Britain" sort of like the catch all thread for anti-American hatred.

2 hours ago, lunaCH said:

Gosh, what insight.  

20 minutes ago, murphaph said:

A walk down any high street in the UK will reveal cameras all over the place. In Germany, not so much. 

You are constantly under surveillance in Germany.   

I find it simultaneously amusing and baffling that people who live here have so much trust in the institutions in Germany and that is not because the Peterburg Troll Farm is paying me to sow distrust of German institutions.  

53 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Read https://aithority.com/news/top-10-countries-and-cities-by-number-of-cctv-cameras/

Yes, the UK has more cameras than Germany, but it is only one more camera per 100 person then Germany. A part from USA and China there it not really a big difference between  a lot of countries.

" The United States has 15.28 CCTV cameras every 100 individuals, followed by China with 14.36 and the United Kingdom with 7.5. Other top 10 countries include Germany with 6.27 cameras per 100 individuals, Netherlands 5.8, Australia 4, Japan 2.72, France 2.46 and South Korea 1.99. "

Well, and the US stats are because Ring has been allowed to partner with law enforcement and just about every house has a Ring now. Put plainly, most CCTV in the US is private, not public, but is shared without thought with law enforcement.

Americans are so sure that another American is going to kill them that they will feed data to the government.