Brexit: The fallout

13,717 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, john_b said:

Johnson's latest performance makes you wonder if he is really up to the job

Tony Blair is not the Prime Minister.

The biggest female donor in Tory party history is a Russian woman, wife of a man very close to Putin now and/or in the past. Let that sink in for a moment. I'm sure we'll be reassured here by the usual suspects that this is all above board and totally independent of Kremlin oversight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54228079

Edit: So yes, Russia! Russia! Russia!

Russia is a failed state. It's enormous mineral wealth benefits the handful of oligarchs who took control of the Soviet Union's state assets. To be allowed to maintain that control, they must "make money available" to the Kremlin to buy off Tories and buy Novichok as required.

3 hours ago, balticus said:

Yet Boris like Trump is still opposing the Nordstream II project.    :rolleyes:

Probably because they know the germans won't stop it - at any cost!

Indeed. It's quite easy to be publicly opposed to something you don't have to be seen to be doing anything about. Just state "We're opposed to Russia building that pipeline blah blah" and use it for cover when asked about the obviously very close connections between Moscow and themselves. Only a fool would read too much into these "condemnations".

Just keep following the (Russian) money. That's what it's all about for the pawns like Johnson.

From the BBC article on the finCEN leaks:

"The UK is called a "higher risk jurisdiction" and compared to Cyprus, by the intelligence division of FinCEN. That's because of the number of UK registered companies that appear in the SARs. Over 3,000 UK companies are named in the FinCEN files - more than any other country."

Another good reason for Russian oligarchs to want London out of the EU perhaps. They use the place to launder their cash. It's funny how the average Daily Mail reader thinks Ireland is a tax haven for having a more competitive corporate tax rate than the UK while their own financial services sector (both in GB and several overseas territories) are up to their necks in proper money laundering at an industrial scale.

Just read that our new GPS system things may be scrapped and some politicians are trying to pressure the government in to joining up for the EU one...

I'll try and find the link (read it on my phone).

UK’s £5bn ‘vanity project’ sat-nav system scrapped with government urged to rejoin EU scheme

Theresa May’s plan for Britain to have its own GPS satellite navigation system has been ditched, leaving many in Whitehall pressuring the government to rejoin the EU’s Galileo programme.

May had allocated £92 million for the project back in May 2011 and earlier this year the government teamed up with a private telecomms company to purchase a 45% (£900 million) in OneWeb, a bankrupt US technology company which had attempted to build a constellation of 650 satellites.

Now, the entire project is on the verge of being scrapped after experts said the machinery could not be re-purposed.

Yet more cash disappears down the tory sink hole...

3 hours ago, murphaph said:

From the BBC article on the finCEN leaks:

"The UK is called a "higher risk jurisdiction" and compared to Cyprus, by the intelligence division of FinCEN. That's because of the number of UK registered companies that appear in the SARs. Over 3,000 UK companies are named in the FinCEN files - more than any other country."

Another good reason for Russian oligarchs to want London out of the EU perhaps. They use the place to launder their cash. It's funny how the average Daily Mail reader thinks Ireland is a tax haven for having a more competitive corporate tax rate than the UK while their own financial services sector (both in GB and several overseas territories) are up to their necks in proper money laundering at an industrial scale.

The Russians have done their work well :( 

14 hours ago, murphaph said:

Nothing to see here either I'm sure:

https://www.repubblica.it/esteri/2020/09/20/news/the_mystery_of_boris_johnson_s_trip_to_perugia_-267989244/

The fact this son of a KGB officer has a dog called Boris should tell us everything we need to know about this relationship.

My Spider sense is tingling!  Something just isn't right with this genuine photographic evidence of PM Johnson in Perugia last week. 

Let's investigate, shall we?

bojo.JPG.86aeffbd41759e8fdacbe73cfa81946

Italian airport quashes claims of secret Boris Johnson trip  (Guardian, 21.09.20)

The president of Perugia’s San Francesco d’Assisi airport said on Monday afternoon there had been an “error” in previous communication and that Johnson did not recently land there.

“He absolutely did not recently land in Perugia. In recent years, yes, he passed through, but not recently,” Stefano Panato told the Guardian. “I have checked the registries and spoken to people, this is the official denial.”

You were a little bit too keen, Murphy, but it was funny nonetheless! 

14 hours ago, john g. said:

What was Tony Blair doing there?🙈

Looks like he was being mistaken for the current UK PM! 

Panato said the newspapers’ sources may have mistaken Blair for Johnson. “Tony Blair arrived the 13th and left 14th. Someone said the British prime minister had passed through but the British prime minister is no longer Tony Blair,” he said.

:lol:

Here to spaff up against the wall no doubt!

UK government is now trying to control the chaos narrative ahead of its arrival in January. Statements being made about lack of EU preparation from the government of the country without even enough pallets to send stuff to the EU on are laughable but made for the consumption of idiot Daily Express readers.

They have also told hauliers that a reasonable expectation (not worst case) could be to see 7000 long queues of HGVs at ports. 

But this is great. This is what a red, white and blue Brexit looks like:

https://www.google.com/search?q=russian+flag

On 18/09/2020, 09:42:44, murphaph said:

The UK will never be able to rejoin the EU

Why the heck would it want to? :unsure:

On 19/09/2020, 10:18:15, murphaph said:

Anyway, Cyprus and several other smaller states would never allow the UK rejoin the EU without first handing over sovereign control of their SBAs. The UK could possibly rent some or all of the land back, if Cyprus were agreeable, but it would by Cyprus' decision. It's just another example of how Brexit has fundamentally weakened the UK. It was a chronically stupid decision and it will be studied for centuries I suspect.

When Spain asked to join the then EEC it was under amongst others, British conditions. Spain was compelled to open the border and normalise relations between Gibraltar and Spain. If and when the UK ever applies for EU membership, the shoe will be on the other foot. Spain will not countenance UK membership unless Gibraltar is on the table.

What a load of absolute twaddle. 

On 20/09/2020, 18:14:51, yesterday said:

If I have my HSBC account closed, I suppose I will have to move it to a European bank or go with one of those dodge channel island banks.

If one UK bank doesn't want your business for whatever reason, you can always open an account with another one. There are hundreds to choose from. :rolleyes:

but since the BREXIT got popular in the UK the pound has sunk massively in value against the EURO, so we could all be on for massive losses

I think you'll find that the value of the pound has steadily dropped against the Euro since the launch of the latter. A drop of 71,34% over 20 years. 

The most significant drop was in the period 2008-9 and not post-Brexit. ;)

we could all be on for massive losses

:huh: Only if you've been holding assets in pounds and need to sell/liquidate etc. right now, surely?!

3 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Thanks for your destruction of my argument. Now I know better. What an intellectual heavyweight you are.

IMHO your arguments have become increasingly emotional recently, lunaCH has applied some logic and common sense in the response.

Maybe I'm getting more and more pissed off at the UK's treatment of Ireland. I know a lot of people like me who previously had no bones about NI being part of the UK as long as a majority in NI wanted that.

Now I just want the UK out of Ireland. Thanks to Brexit. I have no more time for the proponents or supporters of this shit show.