Brexit: The fallout

12,703 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

 

Have they actually put this in writing?  That would be handy.  But I guess they have not.

 

It's on email. I was actually surprised they were so naive to do that.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Smaug said:

 

It's on email. I was actually surprised they were so naive to do that.

 

Why? 

 

AFAIK the WA only guarantees your rights w.r.t. the government not private companies. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, engelchen said:

 

Why? 

 

AFAIK the WA only guarantees your rights w.r.t. the government not private companies. 

 

I'd would think anyone who works in H.R. would just cover his or her ass and say "after careful consideration you did not succeed blah, blah..." to cover their asses against any eventuality.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at legal advice online, refusing to employ someone because they are from the EU without settled status does seem to be discrimination and not allowed yet.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Looking at legal advice online, refusing to employ someone because they are from the EU without settled status does seem to be discrimination and not allowed yet.

That's interesting. Can you link to it please?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, john g. said:

I don‘t think it is discrimination- rather ignorance?

Or merely company policy, since the status existed and exists with or without Brexit.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

„ Major international law firm“, according to Smaug. Hmm, should they not be au fait with the laws? 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.ilntoday.com/2020/02/employment-of-eu-workers-after-brexit/

 

Pre-settled status: this will apply to those with less than 5 years continuous residence in the UK and permits residing in the UK for a further 5 years, during which time an application can be made for settled status once 5 years continuous residence is reached. Pre-settled status grants the same rights as at the moment, such as the right to work in the UK, use NHS services, enrol in education, access benefits and travel in and out of the UK.

 

This suggests that thousands of EU nationals are already facing difficulty or being denied employment, housing and other rights if they cannot prove settled status, despite this not actually being a requirement at the moment. Refusing EU nationals employment or access to other services without settled status is not currently lawful (as is indicated in the government guidance), therefore it is possible that such treatment may amount to discrimination under the Equality Act 2010 on grounds of race, ethnic origin or nationality.

 

Employers are muddled about this.  And there are big fines out there for those that employ people who are not entitled to be in the UK.  20,000 GBP.  

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, snowingagain said:

https://www.ilntoday.com/2020/02/employment-of-eu-workers-after-brexit/

Pre-settled status: this will apply to those with less than 5 years continuous residence in the UK and permits residing in the UK for a further 5 years, during which time an application can be made for settled status once 5 years continuous residence is reached. Pre-settled status grants the same rights as at the moment, such as the right to work in the UK, use NHS services, enrol in education, access benefits and travel in and out of the UK.

This suggests that thousands of EU nationals are already facing difficulty or being denied employment, housing and other rights if they cannot prove settled status, despite this not actually being a requirement at the moment. Refusing EU nationals employment or access to other services without settled status is not currently lawful (as is indicated in the government guidance), therefore it is possible that such treatment may amount to discrimination under the Equality Act 2010 on grounds of race, ethnic origin or nationality. 

Looks like there could be a case to answer then - the employer should have kept quiet and not given the reason for not hiring.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the link, Luna. That's pretty much what the UK Governments official guidance says:

 

Quote

 

Quote

You have a duty not to discriminate against EU citizens in light of the UK’s decision to leave the EU as both a prospective and current employer. You cannot make an offer of employment, or continued employment, dependent on an individual having made an application

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Smaug said:

Thanks for the link, Luna.

credit to snowingagain who provided the link - I merely asked for one as I was interested in the case. Your case will be just one of very many I fear. It's a shame the Brexit circus has caused this confusion and negatively shapes people's lives.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, lunaCH said:

It's a shame the Brexit circus has caused this confusion and negatively shapes people's lives.

I guess in the UK you can count yourself lucky that you haven't been deported to where your grandparents emigrated from when they came to help the UK rebuild itself after the war.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re. the USA, the protection of the Good Friday Agreement is a bi-partisan issue. Whoever wins the US election will not wish to undermine peace in NI. 

2342D2D0-6473-486D-9BA7-C372B292512B.png

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 'destined to rule' Etonians in the British government are being schooled in diplomacy by the 'bogtrotters' from across the Irish sea. How very dare they?!

 

The Irish DFA has been one step ahead of the Brexiteers at every turn. There will be no tearing up of the GFA without serious, indeed the most serious, damage being done to the British economy.

 

The fools on here who insisted that the Irish border was of no consequence in all this are also being schooled. That's fun to watch.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just waiting now for HF99 to turn up and explain everything. It really doesn't make sense at the moment! :wacko:

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ireland, Gibraltar, Cyprus. Three UK-EU borders created by British imperialism ultimately.

 

Whatever about Gibraltar, the continued Cyprus occupation is clearly against the will of most Cypriots and as Cyprus is a member state of the EU will also cause problems in the future, just as the Turkish occupation of Cyprus does. The UK will never be able to rejoin the EU (I expect an application in a generation or so) without forfeiting both Gibraltar and their Cyprus possessions.

 

Brexit has shone a spotlight on all of these things. Britain's imperial past is really coming back to bite it in the arse.

 

Irish America (only exists because of British treatment of Ireland during the 19th century) blocking a trade deal, MERCOSUR trade deal blocked because the Argentinian government will be demanding the return of the Malvinas before anything is signed, China 😂 (HK).

 

Britain should have kept its head down as a middleweight country with great influence inside the world's largest trading bloc but that wasn't enough for it.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some good points there, murphaph! But Cyprus hasn‘t been a British colony since 1960.

Your final paragraph/sentence  is a great summary.👍🏼

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now