Brexit: The fallout

12,647 posts in this topic

And the discrimination already starts.

I've just been turned down for a job in the UK specifically because I don't have settled status.

I ask if EU citizens with pre-settled status are not eligible for the job and this is the response I get:

This is a permanent position and therefore anyone who is appointed has to be eligible to work in the UK permanently

What should I say?

32 minutes ago, Smaug said:

And the discrimination already starts.

I've just been turned down for a job in the UK specifically because I don't have settled status.

Welcome to life as a third country national.  

8 hours ago, jeba said:

Is that even possible? Which court would have authority to void a UK law?

No court has power to "void" a UK law anymore, that was in part what Brexit was supposed to be about, however there is such a thing as international law. As a formal international treaty, the withdrawal agreement contains language about which courts would make judgements on this.

Various remedies are outlined in the WA including large fines and international sanctions, which the UK could reasonably expect to see enforced if they go ahead with this. There are also sections which allow the EU to unilaterally withdraw from sections of the WA if the UK is seen to be acting in 'Bad Faith'.

1 hour ago, Smaug said:

I very much sympathize with you now, engelchen! I can image what the Germans must have put you through over the years.

Once I learned how to read and understand the immigration laws, I was able to handle the ABH without much difficulty. However, I wasn't able to get a job that I really wanted because I wasn't able to convince the incompetent HR Department Head that I was allowed to work here. 

1 minute ago, engelchen said:

Once I learned how to read and understand the immigration laws, I was able to handle the ABH without much difficulty. However, I wasn't able to get a job that I really wanted because I wasn't able to convince the incompetent HR Department Head that I was allowed to work here. 

The answer I got was a major international law firm. I was surprised by their candor and naivité. I think from now on I am just going to lie. I have to find out if companies can determine if one has settled or pre-settled status or if they can just check whether one is allowed to work.

Lord Keen has offered his resignation to the British P.M. One will remember him as the government barrister defending the Scottish case brought to the UK Supreme Court.

2 hours ago, Smaug said:

And the discrimination already starts. I've just been turned down for a job in the UK specifically because I don't have settled status.

That isn't discrimination. It is how things work in that country, priority is given to people already there. The same goes on in most other countries in the world. ;) 

Domestic law applies within the UK. If you want to move to the UK surely you have to accept UK laws as being the ones to play by? :unsure:

Surely if you move to the UK before 31.12.20., you come under old rules anyway, or does the job not start until well in 2021? :unsure:

1 hour ago, lunaCH said:

Surely if you move to the UK before 31.12.20., you come under old rules anyway, or does the job not start until well in 2021? :unsure:

I already moved to the UK and applied for pre-settled status. They want settled status.

2 minutes ago, Smaug said:

I already moved to the UK and applied for pre-settled status. They want settled status.

Then I clarify. You should be treated by the authorities both during the transition period and after it has ended under the old rules, just the same as UK citizens in the EU. This is set out in the W.A. 

What you have encountered is that hiring company's policy I'm afraid. I believe that they are free to choose who they employ, regardless of politics, Brexit and employment rules before and after the transition.

Just now, lunaCH said:

Then I clarify. You should be treated by the authorities both during the transition period and after it has ended under the old rules, just the same as UK citizens in the EU. This is set out in the W.A. 

What you have encountered is that hiring company's policy I'm afraid. I believe that they are free to choose who they employ, regardless of politics, Brexit and employment rules before and after the transition.

That's my understanding of it, but they just asked me one question: "Are you settled?"

Me: "No, I am already in the UK and have applied for pre-settled. There's no reason why I shouldn't get it."

They: "This is a permanent position and therefore anyone who is appointed has to be eligible to work in the UK permanently.":

I am reluctant to quote laws, agreements and the WA. I doubt it's going to get me anywhere. 

Just now, Smaug said:

I am reluctant to quote laws, agreements and the WA. I doubt it's going to get me anywhere. 

I'm really sorry you've experienced this. Unfortunately I think you're right. You probably wouldn't getting anywhere quoting anything because they are free to interpret Brexit as they wish and modify their hiring policy as they see fit. We don't even know that they have modified it owing to Brexit. It may have already been like this.

4 minutes ago, Smaug said:

That's my understanding of it, but they just asked me one question: "Are you settled?"

Have they actually put this in writing?  That would be handy.  But I guess they have not.