Brexit: The fallout

13,721 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, john g. said:

I don‘t see the connection between leave voters and remain voters. That is a silly argument IMHO.

The poll was specific to leave voters and to me the responses demonstrate a clear link to a more right wing and older section of the population than I would expect to see in a general cross section of voters.

Would anyone under 60 want imperial measures and £SD returned or be stupid enough to want incandescent light bulbs?

On 28 August 2020 12:31:52, keith2011 said:

Despite all those who hanged and were later found to be innocent or where guilt was questionable and more recently those exonerated after spending years in jail and would have hanged in the past?

As for corporal punishment that means the schools won't just attract pedophiles but sadistic pedophiles.

I agree with you on the first point but the second left me open mouthed. Are you seriously suggesting that people go into teaching because they're paedophiles?! Both my parents were teachers, including when corporal punishment was in force, and two good friends from university are teachers. Should I now be questioning their motives?! :o

1 hour ago, Lorelei said:

I agree with you on the first point but the second left me open mouthed. Are you seriously suggesting that people go into teaching because they're paedophiles?! Both my parents were teachers, including when corporal punishment was in force, and two good friends from university are teachers. Should I now be questioning their motives?! :o

I based that on my own experience as a secondary school pupil, I do hope that things are much better these days!

On 28/08/2020, 17:56:45, keith2011 said:

... look you are already proposing to bring it back for rape, so why not adultery and graffiti?

Is it possible you think rape is just a minor pecadillo? The juxtaposition with adultery and graffiti could lead us to think so.

11 minutes ago, optimista said:

Is it possible you think rape is just a minor pecadillo? The juxtaposition with adultery and graffiti could lead us to think so.

I don't think that's what he said.

On 8/28/2020, 1:56:37, keith2011 said:

Then a life sentence even when that may not be for life would be a far worse and some might say a more appropriate punishment.

With the exception of the blue passport I would say all those measures are as justifiable today as they were when introduced if not more so e.g. how many people outside of oldies like me and those raised in the USA,  know pounds and ounces these days?

Go to the market in Harburg, my old stomping ground in Hamburg with its daily market! All the traders offer ein Pfund Tomaten😂

Mind you, keith, try telling an American you weigh ten stone and check the flummoxed look on their faces!😎

20 minutes ago, john g. said:

Mind you, keith, try telling an American you weigh ten stone and check the flummoxed look on their faces!😎

It is a long time since I weighed ten stone and I dread to think how many stones all those kilos add up to.:unsure:

48 minutes ago, optimista said:

No but unlike you it seems, I don't think it is a hanging offence either.

20 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

No but unlike you it seems, I don't think it is a hanging offence either.

Victims of rape might just disagree with you on that. And there'd easily be hundreds of thousands if not millions worldwide given how under-reported it is.

20 hours ago, keith2011 said:

The poll was specific to leave voters and to me the responses demonstrate a clear link to a more right wing and older section of the population than I would expect to see in a general cross section of voters.

Would anyone under 60 want imperial measures and £SD returned or be stupid enough to want incandescent light bulbs?

Why can't people accept and RESPECT that some people have a different opinion regardless if they are left or right wing or over 60. Are you saying all people over 60 are stupid?

Even today I cannot understand why nobody was asked if they wanted the Euro. The double price tags(DM/Euro) vanished after three months in  Germany, in France they had double price tags for 6 months. The German Mark was a strong and respected currency. Anyone who went to Italy in the old days had to think in thousands of Lire.To me it was a sort of pre-holiday feeling when I went to collect my foreign currency before going on holiday. If that makes me old fashioned then so be it.

5 minutes ago, White Rose of Yorkshire said:

Why can't people accept and RESPECT that some people have a different opinion regardless if they are left or right wing or over 60. Are you saying all people over 60 are stupid?

Basically yes if they want to return to pre decimal currency, imperial measures and incandescent light bulbs!

Because most people think they are right about everything, White Rose! The human condition🙏🏻

5 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Basically yes if they want to return to pre decimal currency, imperial measures and incandescent light bulbs!

Boo! 😂

14 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Bring back chains and furlongs, I say;)

Couldn‘t agree more, Red! I walked to the beach today! I thought at each step „ that‘s another eighth of a mile „ and got there after 45 minutes!

😂

What I do not understand is that we are supposed to live in a democracy, so we have an election, and the government is supposed to take the decisions, we just sit back and call them idiots. Then things changed, now we got to vote on BREXIT not them. So why in this new world of let the people decide, why can we not have a vote on hangin ?, or are the people too stupid to decide in the correct way or a vote on low taxes and better public services. 

3 hours ago, RedMidge said:

Bring back chains and furlongs, I say;)

I am not sure if it is just a coincidence but 5 furlongs is very very close to 1 km.:P I know the furlong is a very old measure that  pre-dates the metric system but can't help wondering if those crafty Victorians fiddled with it the same as they did the Imperial pint (20 instead of 16 fl ozs) so the galleon was nearer 5 litres and the 100 cwt (112 rather that 100 pounds) to make the metric tonne and Imperial ton exactly the same. BTW they also introduced the florin (todays 10p)  in an initial attempt at decimalisation, the same system that was eventually adopted.

8 hours ago, yesterday said:

What I do not understand is that we are supposed to live in a democracy, so we have an election, and the government is supposed to take the decisions, we just sit back and call them idiots. Then things changed, now we got to vote on BREXIT not them. So why in this new world of let the people decide, why can we not have a vote on hangin ?, or are the people too stupid to decide in the correct way or a vote on low taxes and better public services. 

Because the decision to give the people a vote was not made because the people wanted it.

It was made to try and quell Tory infighting.

As the Tories aren`t ripping themselves apart over hanging then why would the Tories decide to let the plebs vote on it.