Brexit: The fallout

12,762 posts in this topic

On 8/11/2020, 4:01:15, pappnase said:

So the negotiations to get a trade deal with Japan look to be going well (Not). 

Or at least they were until Liz Truss started demanding extra concessions for cheese.

According to the article linked, the whole deal was to be mostly identical to the one that Japan signed with the EU, so far so good, but in an attempt to prove that Britain could negotiate a better deal than the EU, cheese was brought into discussions and an extra concession sought regarding soft and blue cheese.

So the whole deal is at risk because Japan says it is reluctant to offer the UK a better deal than the EU, and the UK is dumb enough to keep pressing even though the value of the concession is so tiny as to be meaningless.

Apparently the UK sent £102,000 worth of blue cheese to Japan last year ( So total value significantly less than her Government pay packet).

Truly these guys are fuckwits.

Apparently if this deal is done it will add an estimated 0.07% to the UKs GDP.Still a way to go to make up the estimated 5% loss from leaving the EU.

Ah right. I am in "stock collection mode" for the next couple of years. A big layout is planned but construction hasn't started yet ;-) 

10 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Ah right. I am in "stock collection mode" for the next couple of years. A big layout is planned but construction hasn't started yet ;-) 

Ok but will want photos then.

Do you build the scenery ( all i can think of to call it) yourself or do you buy a kit and just put it together etc ?

This thread seems to have wandered off topic for a bit :)

14 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Let me guess, everything delayed due to Brexit and then Corona.

No, I'm building a garage among other things and when that's built I can clear out the room in the cellar where the layout will go :-) 

I will build everything including the track. Irish trains run on 5' 3" broad gauge and the default H0 scale track is way out of scale for this (in fact UK OO scale stock also generally runs on out of scale H0 track but it's not as obvious)

Anyway this is all way off topic. 

On 05/08/2020, 23:26:45, john_b said:

It never ceases to amaze me of how useless this man is, yet (like with Mark Francois) his constituents seem all too happy to keep voting him in.

He was waxing lyrical about that deal in December, and now we go year zero and anything said pre-Feb 1st cannot be referenced.

I remember seeing him sitting next to Pascal Lamy talking about WTO and how a no-deal Brexit would work, and Lamy's facial expressions of shock and disbelief at the drivel coming out of IDS mouth were priceless - he was delivering it in such a smarmy way, and seemed to be strongly insinuating that he knew more about how the WTO worked and how the rules applied, more than Lamy who had not only ran the WTO but been reelected during his time running it as well!

38 minutes ago, Mackle said:

I remember seeing him sitting next to Pascal Lamy talking about WTO and how a no-deal Brexit would work, and Lamy's facial expressions of shock and disbelief at the drivel coming out of IDS mouth were priceless

Here you go! Yes, priceless indeed - ignorance is bliss ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSOaHvdNLRw

1 hour ago, Mackle said:

It never ceases to amaze me of how useless this man is, yet (like with Mark Francois) his constituents seem all too happy to keep voting him in.

He was waxing lyrical about that deal in December, and now we go year zero and anything said pre-Feb 1st cannot be referenced.

I remember seeing him sitting next to Pascal Lamy talking about WTO and how a no-deal Brexit would work, and Lamy's facial expressions of shock and disbelief at the drivel coming out of IDS mouth were priceless - he was delivering it in such a smarmy way, and seemed to be strongly insinuating that he knew more about how the WTO worked and how the rules applied, more than Lamy who had not only ran the WTO but been reelected during his time running it as well!

They usually keep their jobs as they are moved to a safe seat, the people there would vote conservative if the candidate was green and had a book called 'how to serve man'..

UK chief negotiator says aiming for Brexit deal in September

"We want a deal with, at its core, an FTA like those the EU has agreed with other friendly countries, like Canada,” Frost said on Twitter.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-idUSKCN2591GL

A "FTA-like" deal is certainly doable by September 2028 ... oh what is that you say? He meant September 2020? ...but that's in...um, 2 weeks' time, isn't it? Not on yer nelly, mate! :lol:

It's almost as if they haven't realised they've left and have no influence on EU decision making any more.

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

It's almost as if they haven't realised they've left and have no influence on EU decision making any more.

As if the UK is doing a favour to the EU!!

13 hours ago, yesterday said:

yeah everthing looks good for BREXIT day, or realy leaving the EU day

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/leaked-government-dossier-reveals-worst-102700874.html

Project fear dude, project fear.
Just don't get any vaccination from the Gates foundation, make sure you're nowhere near a 5G  mast and you'll be eating as much unicorn popcorn as the oven ready free trade deal will allow us to import.

On 8/19/2020, 10:12:19, dom said:

download.jpg.284c4e74bcb827dce58e910e0e9

Hopefully Bozo will be the first 'existing structure' to be irreversibly damaged... then again maybe it's already happened :P