Brexit: The fallout

12,613 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, balticus said:

 

Just curious - do you think the UK should have allowed Huawei in for short term trade benefits at the expense of five eyes?

 

As it happens, I'm in favour of the UK maintaining a critical attitude on such security issues, whether emanating from China, Russia or elsewhere. But broadly I agree with the overall conclusions of the article.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, balticus said:

Look at the way Canada was forced into signing the MCA to see what is in store.

 

Canada managed to have its red lines not crossed, so shrugged and went for it. Since NAFTA, Canada's industrial sector has been decimated, though at the same time outsourcing/offshoring to Asia was also ramping up. The US and Mexico both have poor labour standards/rights and cheap labour, so it didn't take long for (both Canadian and foreign) board rooms to realize that Canadian pensions, unions, minimum wage, health and hygiene regulations, and marginally higher taxes were too bothersome to profit margins. 

 

With MCA 2.0, it included some guaranteed labour standards and the Chapter 19 dispute process so that the US cannot unilaterally impose its will on its smaller neighbours (i.e. Amerikkka First!, dumping, excessive subsidies, Trumpian flip-flopping, etc.).  

 

20 hours ago, balticus said:

Still less worse than staying in the EU.

 

Says you.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, alderhill said:

 

Canada managed to have its red lines not crossed, so shrugged and went for it. Since NAFTA, Canada's industrial sector has been decimated, though at the same time outsourcing/offshoring to Asia was also ramping up. 

 

I am focused on the idea that special market accesses granted to Canada by the US during the Cold War, which were rolled into NAFTA were not included in USMCA.  

 

US subsidies of Cold War allies are finally ending 30 years after the end of the Cold War.

 

The UK can expect a bit of the same though at the same time it is probably the US's most important ally.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2020, 9:22:24, alderhill said:

 

 

 

Says you.

You don`t understand Balticus that is the problem you seem to be having here.

They are an expert on everything,who feels free to comment on everything and everyhwere no matter if they actually have any experience in the matter at hand or have actually been to the place they`re an expert on.

But don`t you dare try explaining something to them unless you have experienced the subject or lived there.

You may even totally prove their statement 100% wrong in which case they`ll either disappear for a few days or just blatantly ignore it or the favourite is distract you with whataboutism.

I`ve always said that if Balticus was on Twitter everyone would assume it was a bot.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Keleth said:

You don`t understand Balticus that is the problem you seem to be having here.

They are an expert on everything,who feels free to comment on everything and everyhwere no matter if they actually have any experience in the matter at hand or have actually been to the place they`re an expert on.

But don`t you dare try explaining something to them unless you have experienced the subject or lived there.

You may even totally prove their statement 100% wrong in which case they`ll either disappear for a few days or just blatantly ignore it or the favourite is distract you with whataboutism.

I`ve always said that if Balticus was on Twitter everyone would assume it was a bot.

 

It isn't pure ad hominem posts like this one which have ruined the forum, but Russian Trolls opining about trade agreements.   

 

🤪

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Narrator: But everyone knew that this was a deflection from calling people out of their name and using pejoratives like cuck and soyboy. 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So no hard border in Ireland (at least that's what Johnson signed up to) but possibly a soft but potentially expensive one between Kent and the rest of England (for trucks). It's funny how the piss has been taken out of ze Germans for demanding ze papers for all these years. Ain't gonna be nothing on Brexit Britain for paperwork:

 

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/more-red-tape-hauliers-prepare-for-brexit-border-in-kent/04/08/

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the negotiations to get a trade deal with Japan look to be going well (Not). 

Or at least they were until Liz Truss started demanding extra concessions for cheese.

According to the article linked, the whole deal was to be mostly identical to the one that Japan signed with the EU, so far so good, but in an attempt to prove that Britain could negotiate a better deal than the EU, cheese was brought into discussions and an extra concession sought regarding soft and blue cheese.

 

So the whole deal is at risk because Japan says it is reluctant to offer the UK a better deal than the EU, and the UK is dumb enough to keep pressing even though the value of the concession is so tiny as to be meaningless.

 

Apparently the UK sent £102,000 worth of blue cheese to Japan last year ( So total value significantly less than her Government pay packet).

 

Truly these guys are fuckwits.

 

 

 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blue cheese contains relatively little lactose.

Maybe that's why they import it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pappnase said:

Apparently the UK sent £102,000 worth of blue cheese to Japan last year

Hardly a lot. The UK royal family probably spent about the same amount on cheese last year.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lunaCH said:

Hardly a lot. The UK royal family probably spent about the same amount on cheese last year.

I don't think it's about the amount, i'd say it's about being able to say they are standing up for the UK.
In case anyone says they are gong to bend over and put the NHS on the table, they can now say 'but we stopped talking to the Japanese because of cheese'..

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, pappnase said:

So the negotiations to get a trade deal with Japan look to be going well (Not). 

Or at least they were until Liz Truss started demanding extra concessions for cheese.

According to the article linked, the whole deal was to be mostly identical to the one that Japan signed with the EU, so far so good, but in an attempt to prove that Britain could negotiate a better deal than the EU, cheese was brought into discussions and an extra concession sought regarding soft and blue cheese.

 

So the whole deal is at risk because Japan says it is reluctant to offer the UK a better deal than the EU, and the UK is dumb enough to keep pressing even though the value of the concession is so tiny as to be meaningless.

 

Apparently the UK sent £102,000 worth of blue cheese to Japan last year ( So total value significantly less than her Government pay packet).

 

Truly these guys are fuckwits.

 

 

 

Egotism and the "I`ll say I was right even while going in the face of facts because my gullible supporters will believe it too" state of Brexit supporters,politics and the world in general at the moment.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a pre-order in with a UK model retailer (with certain limited run models it's quite common to pre-order before the product has even been manufactured) but the delivery date can no longer be guaranteed to be before real Brexit day so I have decided to cancel and place the order with an Irish retailer. Slightly more expensive but I have certainty about what VAT I pay. The tariffs are 0% on these products so it's purely a VAT thing.

 

I buy models from outside the EU already and pay the import tax (same rate as VAT) but I don't trust the UK retailer to be in a position to guarantee that I won't be paying UK VAT as well. This is the first purchasing decision I've made personally which has been influenced by Brexit. I won't be alone I'm sure. In fact I know I'm not alone. A guy I know on a model forum has also decided to cancel his UK order for the same items.

 

This is all lost revenue to the UK exchequer but it will never be recorded as having been caused by Brexit.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now