Brexit: The fallout

12,331 posts in this topic

Someone who was raised outside German culture is probably not a "cultural German".

Germany is made up of many tribes and leftovers and herglaufenas, so a little racist mix might be good for good bread.

Come to Canada, those things won't bother you very much. Everybody 'adopts' their new environment if he/she wants to feel home.

This new environment was founded by mostly two nations, the Natives and a sprinkling of little bits of many nations and somehow it seems to work, more or less.

On 7/4/2020, 4:00:48, Keleth said:

I don`t know that`s why I`m so undecided on the death penalty.

Death penalty sounds good for those people you mentioned but how often is it so irrefutable that some has commited murder or genocide.

When it comes to societies where the only way to get rid of a murderous dictator is to shoot him , hang him ( ie countries without a functioning democratic justice system ). I cannot be surprised if the voz popular chooses that route- examples being Ceaucescu ( spelling?) in Rumania, or certain “ yobs “ in Latin America. 

I even remember the case of a Brazilian military guy, maybe about 10 years ago, who proudly confessed on Brazilian TV he had ordered the torture and killing of young Brazilian students back in the 70s at the time of the military dictatorship. He admitted this one evening on TV. One day later, some guys ( no idea who any more ) broke into his apartment in Rio and shot him dead.

13 hours ago, HEM said:

Thats not new - the article is from 2016 (as you can see in the URL).

well spotted! (This was a test) :D

could the racism-related debate move to another thread? Thanks! B)

There isn't much Brexit-related to talk about these days though @dom, it has got stuck in this strange position of the EU wanting to stick to the general framework and aspirations that were agreed in the withdrawal agreement's political declaration, whereas the UK Government have gone from "great oven ready deal that gets Brexit done" to not liking what they agreed to at all, we've had no progress on this since Feb 1st. 

What will be interesting, is if no US deal has been done by the time of the election, and Biden wins it, will that suddenly change the British government's UK-EU deal aspirations?

@Mackle you're right, although there will be more to come in the 2nd half of 2020 I'm sure!

Here some appetizers from the UK.Gov website:

Annotation.jpg.ddc5c4a2be2cfb85875b0ea66

Biden has reiterated his support for the GFA. The UK knows a US FTA is off the cards unless the GFA is respected, hence the UK's submission! to the commission this week in respect to BCPs in Northern Ireland for goods entering from GB.

Let that sink in for a moment. 

The UK has asked the EU to sign off on proposed internal border controls within the UK to preserve the integrity of the EU single market in a way that negates the need for border controls at the land frontier. So much control being taken back.

And it should be noted that yesterday's election of Ireland's finance minister as leader of the Eurogroup once again shows that, contrary to what UK red tops say, the EU is not run by Berlin, or indeed Paris.

Donohoe had the 4 largest economies of the EU against him but he triumphed thanks to the votes of the smaller nations. How much of a say do the smaller nations of the UK have again?!

https://www.wiwo.de/my/politik/europa/irischer-finanzminister-warum-die-wahl-von-paschal-donohoe-an-die-spitze-der-eurogruppe-bemerkenswert-ist/25993812.html?ticket=ST-1000725-xTJR7wLQkQeDmmXL2cTy-ap6

Brexiteer blames ‘EU bureaucracy’ for lack of progress in trade talks

In the latest swipe at Brussels, prominent Eurosceptic MP Andrew Bridgen said it was the bloc’s “bureaucracy” that was risking talks ending in no deal.

He told the Express: “One of the reasons [for the impasse] is the bureaucracy of the EU.

“They’ve got to get 27 heads of states to agree to a negotiating position, whereas David Frost can speak to Boris and Boris can make a decision.

“Barnier has to speak to the Commission, and then the Commission has got to get the approval of 27 heads of states.”

He then claimed that demands made by EU negotiators had been “unreasonable”.

“Ultimately what the EU’s demands are, given we are now a sovereign nation, accepting EU regulations, rights to fishing grounds and the European Court of Justice to rule over the agreement of our future relationship,” he added.

But we were told that new trade agreements are "the easiest deals possible" and they'll "be completed in a week"

Well, beggars can't be choosers...

Brexit... so much winning :lol:

Brexit: Michel Barnier mocks Mark Francois’ moan about EU trade ‘demands’, pointing out he voted for them

Michel Barnier has mocked a Tory MP’s protests about the EU’s aims for a post-Brexit trade deal – pointing out he voted for the measures himself.

Mark Francois, head of the hardline European Research Group, wrote to the EU’s chief negotiator last month, insisting he must drop his “unreasonable demands”.

In a scathing response, Mr Barnier sets out how those “demands” – on adherence to EU rules and the role of the European Court of Justice – were both “agreed” by Boris Johnson, in the Brexit deal.

Bridgen is one of the least intelligent people I have ever seen interviewed on television. He even confuses a head of state with a head of government. What a dumb fuck he is.

12 hours ago, murphaph said:

Bridgen is one of the least intelligent people I have ever seen interviewed on television. He even confuses a head of state with a head of government. What a dumb fuck he is.

Giving Joe Biden a run for his money?

22 hours ago, murphaph said:

I'd still say that Mark Francois takes that title.

In December he is on TV talking about the Withdrawal Agreement  and says "it smells like Brexit and I'd know what Brexit smells like," but now seems incensed that the EU would like to negotiate within the framework laid out in a deal that seven months ago "smelled like Brexit".

While its going to be bad for the UK

It should also remembered, that most people think its going to hit the Eire the worst and other parts of EU.

Really this is a lose - lose situation for everybody.

Thats why I always say, I feel sorry for the expected hundreads of thousands of people on both sides of the channel who are going to lose their jobs.

While its going to be bad for the UK

It should also remembered, that most people think its going to hit the Eire the worst and other parts of EU.

Really this is a lose - lose situation for everybody.

Thats why I always say, I feel sorry for the expected hundreads of thousands of people on both sides of the channel who are going to lose their jobs. Its going to take years, if ever to get back to what we had last year, even after the effects of COVID-19 are taken in to account.