Brexit: The fallout

12,368 posts in this topic

On 17.6.2020, 15:08:32, Wulfrun said:

The GFS 'panel of experts' are all Americans, but I'm sure they would be unbiased...:ph34r: /s

If they were biased,  we‘d be #1, not #4.   USA!   USA!  USA!  :lol:

The Japanese are turning the thumbscrews on the UK. They have given London 6 weeks to sign a trade deal. Japan is seriously annoyed with the UK having based many of its European HQ's there.

So one of the consequences of Brexit was that the UK lost access to Galileo a European project to launch a GPS system which wasn't controlled by the USA. This was a bit of a bother so BoJo and his chums decided that Britain could 'go it alone'. 

To aid them in this they bought a 20% stake in a company which was launching it's own satellite system.

Only it turns out They've bought the wrong satellites.

Doh!

No deal was always the goal, those pushing for it want closer links with the US etc.

All the bits in the middle (between the referendum and now) have been about selling no deal as the best idea.

18 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

No deal was always the goal, those pushing for it want closer links with the US etc.

All the bits in the middle (between the referendum and now) have been about selling no deal as the best idea.

Anyone who thought otherwise was deluded.

I`m torn as to what happens,being English I hope it succeeds and that they prosper but after seeing all the lies and the attitudes and gullibility of many Brexiteers I hope it blows up in their faces.

If indeed it becomes a No Deal, it could be a number of extra 'incoveniences' that Brits face, as individuals, over and beyond Brexit itself.

• Will it effect the ability or cost of transferring money?  isn't that something to do with being in SEPA (Single European Payments Area)?
  • could that effect the ability to take out a mortgage in Germany, if funds are not fully sourced in Germany?
  • will it mean full customs checks at borders? 

Obviously those with dual nationality will be in a better situation.

For those without a status in Germany after the transition period, I assume the lack of a trade deal would have major implications for how far down the pecking order they are for obtaining work visas or for what category British nationals get assigned to when issuing other visas.  

It seems, the UK found out the solution to the lack of workforce from the EU:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52900700

In the Times on Wednesday, the prime minister confirmed that if China passes the law, people in Hong Kong who hold British National (Overseas) (BNO) passports will be allowed to come to the UK for 12 months without a visa. Currently they are allowed to come for six months.

That's not bad: every country should be happy to have Hong Kongers as immigrants, but this is bad news for all racists who voted for "leave".

Trump is on his way out – and so is Johnson’s hopes of a US UK trade deal

Unfortunately for Prime Minister Boris Johnson hopes of a lucrative trade deal with the US may also be on the way out as a result.

Speaking in London in October 2018, Mr Biden again made clear his disapproval of Brexit.

“Had I been an MP, had I been a British citizen, I would’ve voted against leaving,” Mr Biden said at an event with the think-tank Chatham House.

Mr Biden stressed the depth and strength of UK-US ties, but also suggested America was left damaged by the move.

Much of his beliefs echo that of former President Barack Obama, who warned in 2016 that Brexit would put UK ‘back of the queue’ for trade talks.

On 6/29/2020, 11:01:59, Keleth said:

Anyone who thought otherwise was deluded.

I`m torn as to what happens,being English I hope it succeeds and that they prosper but after seeing all the lies and the attitudes and gullibility of many Brexiteers I hope it blows up in their faces.

When dealing with my friends etc, I always say that if any of them didn't vote for brexit and lose their jobs, they have my sympathy.

If they voted for it and lose their jobs, then sorry, tough. If they have been reasonable in the general discussion over the last years I don't push it.

Anyone who has been insulting, offensive or nasty, well (and there are a few), I just make a point of saying 'well, the info as out there, you chose not to believe it and voted for all this, tough'..

I know what guy (British) living over in the states, he's married to a woman from south america who also has Spanish citizenship through her birth country, but this does not transfer to her husband apparently.
He voted for brexit while also planning to retire to Spain... You can guess how quite a few conversations have gone since his future plans came out..

On 7/1/2020, 1:32:27, yourkeau said:

It seems, the UK found out the solution to the lack of workforce from the EU:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52900700

That's not bad: every country should be happy to have Hong Kongers as immigrants, but this is bad news for all racists who voted for "leave".

Yes and just think in 30 or 40 years when we no longer need them we can deport them and their families.

Nope that would never happen.

Evening, Keleth! Re deportation- I am old enough to remember the thug General Adi Amin in Uganda in the early 70s, who expelled up to 70,000 British Asians with short notice to leave. At a time when „ Paki-bashing „ was prevalent in Britain amongst certain types of morons. 

The Tory Govt ( Edward Heath as PM ) at the time took them in, to give them some historical credit. So there is a certain Hong Kong- type history here. It was controversial. 

They prospered in the main and became successful professionals- particularly in medical areas, opticians, pharmacists etc.

They were a great benefit to British society and a severe loss to Uganda.

Amin himself was a Hitler-admiring bully -who also expelled Jews summarily- https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00358537308453064?journalCode=ctrt20

A later review of the expelled British Asians-  https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-20632081

1 hour ago, john g. said:

Evening, Keleth! Re deportation- I am old enough to remember the thug General Adi Amin in Uganda in the early 70s, who expelled up to 70,000 British Asians with short notice to leave. At a time when „ Paki-bashing „ was prevalent in Britain amongst certain types of morons. 

The Tory Govt ( Edward Heath as PM ) at the time took them in, to give them some historical credit. So there is a certain Hong Kong- type history here. It was controversial. 

They prospered in the main and became successful professionals- particularly in medical areas, opticians, pharmacists etc.

They were a great benefit to British society and a severe loss to Uganda.

Amin himself was a Hitler-admiring bully -who also expelled Jews summarily- https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00358537308453064?journalCode=ctrt20

A later review of the expelled British Asians-  https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-20632081

I was sarcastically referring to the Govts excellent record in regards to Windrush

21 minutes ago, Keleth said:

I was sarcastically referring to the Govts excellent record in regards to Windrush

No worries, Keleth! I agree.

And the point again - no one has a monopoly historically on prejudice, racism and generally vile behaviour. Whether the Brits, the US, the Japanese, Arab societies, the Chinese, the Germans, the Guatemalans- WHOEVER - it doesn‘t matter. 
The point NOW is quo vadis? Acknowledge our mistakes, horrors, viciousness as a species, learn from them, teach them and move on. We can if we want to.

22 minutes ago, john g. said:

We can if we want to

But seeming many people don`t want to.

I`m certainly not a fan of the extremes cancel culture seems to be going to but we certainly need to start treating all people better.

I agree, Keleth. As long as the others agree to treat others better. And as long as we agree nobody is perfect. We have to accept that. And nobody has a superior right to live than I do or you do.

I DO prefer some people‘s attitudes to others , though. Some people are simply preferable around me than others.