Brexit: The fallout

12,168 posts in this topic

Negotiations are for the moment postponed because no one has time at the moment due to the COVID crisis and logistics are complicated, and Michel Barnier was tested Covid-positive.   UK has until end of June to ask for an extension.   I guess even Brexit caught the "flu".

8 hours ago, Krieg said:

Negotiations are for the moment postponed because no one has time at the moment due to the COVID crisis and logistics are complicated, and Michel Barnier was tested Covid-positive.   UK has until end of June to ask for an extension.   I guess even Brexit caught the "flu".

It lets the Brexiters off the hook. Firstly it's going to be impossible to separate economic damage from Brexit from economic damage from COVID19, so people will just believe what they want. And secondly, they now don't have to deliver on their promise of getting the deal done this year.

3 minutes ago, Dembo said:

they now don't have to deliver on their promise of getting the deal done this year.

Why? They were all prepared to go it alone and handle everything some weeks ago.

i think what Dembo is saying

Is that before COVID-19, it would be clear that everything that goes wrong in the UK, in the next months/years was down to BREXIT.

Now when things go wrong over BREXIT, the BREXITEERS will says no its not down to BREXIT or leaving the UK the EU, they will says its down to effects of COVID-19 - slow down of the economy etc.

thus, giving the BREXITEERS a get a get out of jail card.

not to but in, sorry

good job they have an extra 350 million a month to plough into the NHS and 13000 new nursing places available...  

BoJo did say its what his government would do!

Yes something like that. 

They made a big deal about the deal would be done, or not, by the end of the year and now they don't have to be judged on it, or at least can delay being judged on it because of COVID-19. 

16 hours ago, yesterday said:

i think what Dembo is saying

Is that before COVID-19, it would be clear that everything that goes wrong in the UK, in the next months/years was down to BREXIT.

Now when things go wrong over BREXIT, the BREXITEERS will says no its not down to BREXIT or leaving the UK the EU, they will says its down to effects of COVID-19 - slow down of the economy etc.

thus, giving the BREXITEERS a get a get out of jail card.

not to but in, sorry

Yeah but no but.

You can still compare the hits the UK takes with the damage to EU27 countries.

And the obvious benefits of being in the EU for getting through a worldwide Public Health crisis will be pretty obvious to see in comparison in hindsight.

Facts? Ha.

They will use it as an excuse and people will allow them to.

And anyone with any critical thinking skills will be horrified. So no change there, then.

Brexit is going to be GREAT and if it's not, then it would have been if that Coronacrap hadn't messed it up.

On 3/20/2020, 5:59:48, SpiderPig said:

good job they have an extra 350 million a month to plough into the NHS and 13000 new nursing places available...  

BoJo did say its what his government would do!

Don't forget the 21,000 new police officers to replace the ones they'd sacked...

Brexit: Boris Johnson's father 'applies for French passport'

Boris Johnson's father is in the process of applying for a French passport to maintain his ties with Europe after Brexit.

Stanley Johnson, a former MEP who voted Remain in the referendum, has requested to become a French citizen as his mother Irene was born in Versailles. 

The move was revealed by the prime minister's sister Rachel, an ardent Europhile, in her new book, Rake's Progress.

Ms Johnson said that her father is “en route to becoming a French citizen, as his mother had been born in Versailles and his grandmother had been in Paris”.
She added: “This is good news — I might be able to become French too.”

Even his own family is disowning him :lol:

3 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

Even his own family is disowning him :lol:

Stanley Johnson is a massive Europhile and was one of the UK's first MEPs. 

10 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

I do hope the UK wont be asking for or accepting any EU hand-outs!

Little chance of that with BoJo & co at the helm.

Well so far (pre corona) Brexit has been a disaster, not for the UK but for the EU. It's blown a massive hole in their budget. The UK so far is doing quite fine. 

3 hours ago, Rushrush said:

Well so far (pre corona) Brexit has been a disaster, not for the UK but for the EU. It's blown a massive hole in their budget. The UK so far is doing quite fine. 

Thanks for that fact, backed up by reputable data! :wacko:

4 hours ago, Rushrush said:

I wonder how the UK population would choose between having a decent budget or having corona run rampant.

I think one of the scary parts is the number of intelligent people in the UK who seemed quite happy with what the government was doing, the 'plan' to let it spread and kill who it liked and completely overwhelm the health service, like that's a 'plan'.

So I find it hard to answer your question. I fear lots would go budget, because Corona's not going to kill me, right?

*face palm*