Brexit: The fallout

12,157 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Another fake account. Just joined yesterday but we're on pet name terms already?!

Take it in your stride! Some have to multiply themselves in order make themselves heard.

The phrase "quantity versus quality" comes to mind B)

Hmmm, why would Trump limit the travel ban to the Schengen zone?

President Donald Trump’s new European travel restrictions have a convenient side effect: They exempt nations where three Trump-owned golf resorts are located.

Trump is already under fire for visiting his properties in both countries as president, leading to U.S. taxpayer money being spent at his own firms. The president has been saddled with lawsuits and investigations throughout his term alleging that he’s violating the Constitution’s emoluments clause by accepting taxpayer money other than his salary.

The U.S. government proclamation initiating the ban targets 26 European countries that comprise a visa-free travel zone known as the Schengen Area.

The United Kingdom, which is home to Trump Turnberry and Trump International Golf Links, and Ireland, which is home to another Trump-branded hotel and golf course at Doonbeg, do not participate in the Schengen Area. Bulgaria, Croatia and Romania are also not part of the Schengen Area. All three of the resorts are struggling financially.

Fancy that. What a co-inky-dink.

Must admit its quite funny 

during the BREXIT campaign, BORIS and others, were saying the experts ( IMF, world bank and Bank of England ) were just wrong, why should we listen to the experts ?

Wind forward several months/years, COVID-19 comes around BORIS and the rest saying we are taking the experts views seriously on  this one - as they know best. Experts got to say the most on TV, BORIS just listened.

Bremen andd NRW to close schools from Monday.

I'm keeping my son home on Monday if the morons here haven't made the same decision.

The UK CMO is talking about developing herd immunity. This is hard Brexit in the virus world. Many many elderly Brits will die following this policy.

I think Niedersachsen also from Monday - was listening to the live stream but never actually heard a solid outcome...

edit - just checked the page again and thankfully there's now just the edict and yes, we are shut.

2 minutes ago, murphaph said:

The UK CMO is talking about developing herd immunity. This is hard Brexit in the virus world. Many many elderly Brits will die following this policy.

Yes, back in the good old days, we did this with measles.   Only killed one in 5000 after all, okay some others were damaged.   But never did me any harm.  But we were not encouraged to run around infecting other people.  Now, chickenpox parties were more of a thing, because it was so inconvenient if it coincided with the summer hols.  But for some reason, contact with people was officially discouraged when we had these infections!  We should have been out and about boosting herd immunity.

1 hour ago, kiplette said:

I think Niedersachsen also from Monday - was listening to the live stream but never actually heard a solid outcome...

edit - just checked the page again and thankfully there's now just the edict and yes, we are shut.

Guess I need to make an effort to go to the shops today then, kids bome means many mums will have to take them with them shopping, so 1 less me to be mixing with them will very marginally help keep infection rates down. Its fairly isolated where I live, so lower chance of infection, I just wish I could have got my mother here as she would be safer than where she is, I am not so worried for myself its the older people and people I know who are having cancer treatment that worry me

4 hours ago, murphaph said:

I suppose it does save on pensions   :o

4 hours ago, murphaph said:

These will include many elderly Tory voters, every cloud has a silver lining.

On 3/12/2020, 2:27:03, El Jeffo said:

Hmmm, why would Trump limit the travel ban to the Schengen zone?

Fancy that. What a co-inky-dink.

Because the Schengen Area, e.g. Italy has a much higher number of infections.

He should ban travel to non-Schengen Europe to halt the spread and minimize contacts, but it probably isn't politically feasible. 

There is no golf course conspiracy no matter what you read on JChan.  

By the way, this is the Brexit thread.   

20 hours ago, murphaph said:

The Trump fluffers are certainly keeping a low profile here and rightly so.

Maybe because this is the Brexit thread.   

AFAIK nobody on this board is a Trump "fluffer" whatever that means, but the idea that all of the world's problems started in January, 2017 and (outside of Brexit) are the result of an orange guy is really among the most stupid and hysterical phenonema i have seen.  

The next POTUS won't be a lot different policy wise and you don't seem to be able to understand that. 

The next POTUS will hopefully take climate change more seriously or even your office in Leningrad or wherever you are will feel the heat.

On 3/12/2020, 1:21:21, dom said:

Farage thinks Brexit is the reason why Trump hasn't banned travel from the UK due to coronavirus

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/finance/other/farage-thinks-brexit-is-the-reason-why-trump-hasnt-banned-travel-from-the-uk-due-to-coronavirus/ar-BB115XMh

What he forgets is that Ireland IS in the EU! 

This is the danger of politicians meddling in subjects they have no understanding about. I daresay, Trump's original decision to allow UK entry to the US was  'political', though I now see he's about to extend the ban. 

As for Nigel Farage, just what does he know about the spread of infectious diseases? He was also on BBC Newsnight spouting off on the subject. You might as well ask Wayne Rooney what his views on kinetic molecular theory are? 

Its the views of health profesionals, i.e. experts,  who have studied the subject matter that we need to listen to.