Brexit: The fallout

12,157 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

These trade deals are going to be so much fun.

That's what happens when you fundamentally misunderstand what the EU is. The UK thinks it's just a trading bloc. It isn't. It's a political union so stuff like the Elgin Marbles and Gibraltar (and Rockall) will come into play, now that the UK is a third country. All the stuff the UK did in its past was temporarily forgotten about as it was a club member.

 

Make no mistake, if Spain or Cyprus was leaving and not the UK, the EU would use its leverage in any trade talks to ensure that Gibraltar and the SBAs remained as British as Finchley.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Why does the theme music from The Omen keep playing in my head

 

They don't make horrors anymore like they used to!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

 M        .  and then

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sterling has lost 4p against the Euro since last week.

 

Gone from 83.5p to 87.5p to the Euro.

 

Apparently sterling is more vulnerable to the negative effects of Covid 19.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Apparently sterling is more vulnerable to the negative effects of Covid 19.

5e5e6ad3c92e9_aaaa(1).jpg.e84176e9bc6dea

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, murphaph said:

Sterling has lost 4p against the Euro since last week.

 

Gone from 83.5p to 87.5p to the Euro.
 

 

That can't be right! BoJo clearly told Barnier 2p off! Don't those bloody Euros understand English?

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, murphaph said:

It's a political union so stuff like the Elgin Marbles and Gibraltar (and Rockall) will come into play, now that the UK is a third country. All the stuff the UK did in its past was temporarily forgotten about as it was a club member.

 

Make no mistake, if Spain or Cyprus was leaving and not the UK, the EU would use its leverage in any trade talks to ensure that Gibraltar and the SBAs remained as British as Finchley.

 

 

But with Gibraltar, doesn't the UN Charter and self-determination play the biggest part in deciding it's future? I can't really see Barnier saying "it's Gibraltar or no deal"

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the UK can arrange a special deal with Ceuta and Melilla, Mackle😂

 

But point taken! It is a good point.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, murphaph said:

That's what happens when you fundamentally misunderstand what the EU is. The UK thinks it's just a trading bloc. It isn't. It's a political union so stuff like the Elgin Marbles and Gibraltar (and Rockall) will come into play, now that the UK is a third country. All the stuff the UK did in its past was temporarily forgotten about as it was a club member.

 

Make no mistake, if Spain or Cyprus was leaving and not the UK, the EU would use its leverage in any trade talks to ensure that Gibraltar and the SBAs remained as British as Finchley.

 

I read an opinion poll ( obviously with a pinch of salt ) somewhere a few months ago that something like 65-70 per cent of Brits would have no problem with the Elgin Marbles returning to Greece.

I wouldn‘t either but I must say - after 6 years in Greece - I wouldn‘t trust Greece to look after them. They look after nothing here.

Even close to us just down the road, there is Gournia, a Minoan settlement. It is fascinating but who cares?

An American university archaeologist we met a couple of times the other year when we and he were trying to feed and rescue the same dog🙁 comes every year and brings a bunch of young American students with him and who stay in our village is the only one who bothers.   http://www.crete-guide.info/Gournia_Crete.htm

 

And the bus from Agios passes by Gournia and foreign tourists want to get off the bus there but the bus driver won‘t stop! „ You can walk back.“

Yeah, when the bus stops in another village, there are a couple of miles to walk back in the summer heat and then the tourists do that and the cafe isn‘t open!😷

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, john g. said:

I read an opinion poll ( obviously with a pinch of salt ) somewhere a few months ago that something like 65-70 per cent of Brits would have no problem with the Elgin Marbles returning to Greece.

I wouldn‘t either but I must say - after 6 years in Greece - I wouldn‘t trust Greece to look after them. They look after nothing here.

 

 

I think for most of us, whilst it would be a shame to see such pieces of art fall into ruin and disrepair, would accept that it is the responsibility of Greece to decide if that is what is to happen (or not).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The famous British poet Lord Byron is a national hero here! Streets are named after him! The Greek Parliament the other year even declared a National Byron Day ( forget the reason🙁) but, anyway, apart from using his own money to try to ruster an army to support the struggle against the Turks, he  was also a passionate supporter of returning the Elgin Marbles to Greece.

 

Well, not the other year but 12 years agohttps://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1078582/Greece-hails-Lord-Byron-hero-dedicates-day-celebration-name.html

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, murphaph said:

That's what happens when you fundamentally misunderstand what the EU is. The UK thinks it's just a trading bloc. It isn't. It's a political union so stuff like the Elgin Marbles and Gibraltar (and Rockall) will come into play, now that the UK is a third country. All the stuff the UK did in its past was temporarily forgotten about as it was a club member.

 

Make no mistake, if Spain or Cyprus was leaving and not the UK, the EU would use its leverage in any trade talks to ensure that Gibraltar and the SBAs remained as British as Finchley.

 

 

You fail to understand that trade incentives and security agreements are two sides of the same coin for the US. 

 

If the EU wants to play cute with Gibraltar, the UK could open an embassy in Catalonia or the Basque country. 

 

But no decent person should want to see such issues escalate.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, john g. said:

The famous British poet Lord Byron is a national hero here! Streets are named after him!

John, they'll soon be naming streets after you! ^_^

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...have made enough " enemies " here with the dog-hating locals...I might rather end up like Mussolini!

:lol:

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, john g. said:

I wouldn‘t trust Greece to look after them. They look after nothing here.

This is a valid point. A bit like entrusting Petra to the Taliban.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, balticus said:

 

You fail to understand that trade incentives and security agreements are two sides of the same coin for the US. 

 

If the EU wants to play cute with Gibraltar, the UK could open an embassy in Catalonia or the Basque country. 

 

But no decent person should want to see such issues escalate.  

To Spain, Gibraltar is Spanish and to the Cyprus, the SBAs are Cypriot. Spain and Cyprus are EU member states. The UK is not. Whose side should the EU as a whole take? The rules have not changed but the UK has placed itself outside the EU tent. By choice.

 

Opening a fake embassy (to whom would the fake ambassador present his or her credentials?!) would be cringe worthy and pointless in the extreme. 

 

You'll have to explain your point about the US in more detail. I don't understand it. The US stands to gain more than the UK in trade terms in any FTA with the UK. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, murphaph said:

In normal times she'd have resigned already.

In normal times, she'd be behind bars!

 

She's resigned once already!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now