Brexit: The fallout

12,226 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

The very best of luck to any Brits hoping to feed themselves during a major emergency (for example a pandemic where the rest of the world starts panic buying) when the Tories have dispensed with food production in the UK. You've really been had if you voted for this horseshit.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8060473/Britain-doesnt-need-farmers-reveal-leaked-emails-senior-government-official.html

Well I think the Tories do need farms because without them they can't claim all the subsidies they feel entitled to.

On 20/02/2020, 13:40:50, murphaph said:

The new immigration rules also require migrants to the UK to be able to speak English on arrival.

"Well of course they should" some here will say, but how many of us could speak German on arrival here? I couldn't hold more than a very basic conversation and would not have been able to work through German when I first came. I'm sure I'm not alone.

I still can't even do that. I have done Babbel every day for the last three years, and it still hasn't taken me past repeating "Mein name ist Topfer" yet!

Brexit isn't about the EU per se for those who have organised it. They want to break the UK and rebuild it as a right wing state in Russia's image. Russia was a democracy, albeit briefly. It's now an oligarchy where opposition politicians end up in prison for having a different opinion. The UK government are now openly talking about not committing to remain a party to the European Convention on Human Rights. A British lawyer under the direction of a one W. Churchill wrote the original version!

This should terrify Brits.

They (Cummings, Gove and puppet Johnson) want to withdraw from it because it's the last thing stopping them from turning the UK into what they have wanted all along. 

On 27/02/2020, 20:29:49, hellfire99 said:

As we all know, bagged salad, that is salad you buy in a bag, has also been washed in a chlorine solution, but no one shits themselves about that, do they? 

Depends which salad you buy. Organic salad won't have been, but on top of that I recall that a lot of the salads in Waitrose had "washed only in spring water" on the packet

On 27.2.2020, 20:29:49, hellfire99 said:

As we all know, bagged salad, that is salad you buy in a bag, has also been washed in a chlorine solution, but no one shits themselves about that, do they? 

Not allowed in Germany...

According to die Wirschafts Woche, the EU lets each country decide if chlorine may be used to disinfectr foodstuffs.

Germany allows only so much chlorine as found in drinking water (not to be confused with the bottled mineral waters).

As this is so very small, it hardly qualifies as "washing in chlorine solution" when compared with the many hour long bathing of infected US chickens.

BTW, Denmark and Austria have similar bans.

WirtschaftsWoche

Deutsche Bundestag - Wissenschaftliche Dienst

Would anyone happy with chlorine washed chicken like to post a video of them eating some?  
From what I heard, those chicken in cans things would qualify.

Let's call it the chicken in a can challenge...

Trade talks, a prediction:

UK - We don't like our deal
EU - Why not?
UK - We only get 95% of what we want
EU - It only gives us 95% too
UK - We want a new deal that gives us 100% of what we want
EU - But that means we only get 90% of what we want
UK - Yes, but we don't care. We hate you.
EU - Bit rude
UK - We elected people to go to your meetings specifically to say we hate you
EU - We noticed
UK - So we want a new deal, and we want the deal in 11 months or we cancel our existing deal
EU - Wait.. what?
UK - We've put it into law: you give us 100% of what we want in 11 months, or we walk away with 0% of what we want
EU - Erm... suits us!
UK - Wait, what?
EU - Perfect, do it. Walk away
UK - No, hold on, wait: you have to negotiate, so Boris can win
EU - Why? Right now you have 95% of perfect and we have 95% of perfect. If we negotiate, you get 100% and we get 90%.
UK - That's right
EU - But if we don't negotiate, we still have 95%... and you have 0%
UK - But... no, you're not meant to say that
EU - And if we don't have a deal, we don't have to put up with you sending people to our meetings to say you hate us
UK - The Daily Mail made us do it and then ran away!
EU - So we'll just sit it out for 11 months
UK - Fine, we'll go and make a great deal with the US
US - Yo suckers
UK - Could we have a trade deal please, sir?
US - Sure thing. We want 100% of everything, plus 51% controlling share in the NHS, and you get, let's see... 60% of what you have now
UK - Not good enough
US - Bye
UK - What?
US - Bye. Talks are over. Bye
UK - But we haven't got a deal!
US - We are 26% of world trade, making deals with EU (20%) and China (17%). We don't need your 1.8%.
UK - But we really need a deal, the EU outsmarted us
US - We know. Some of us can read. Not Trump, obviously, but the rest of us. Try India
UK - Hi India, remember us?
India - Oh fuck, these guys again
UK - We want a trade deal
India - And we want to vastly increase the number of Indians who can live in the UK
UK - We can't do that. Turns out we're, like, properly racist
India - That is brand new information!!
UK - So can we have a deal?
India - Sure. Join the queue
UK - Who's in the queue?
India - USA, China, Brazil, EU, Korea, Canada, Australia... basically everybody. We're kind of a big deal now.
UK - So you'll be ready to negotiate in, what: 11 months?
India - ha ha ha ha ha
UK - What did we say?
India - 11 months? Try 11 years. This shit takes ages, bro
UK - But we had a timetable of 11 months with the EU
India - And how did that work out?
UK - erm...
India - Try China
UK - Can we please have a trade deal?
China - Sorry, who are you?
UK - We're Great Britain
China - Great, you say?
UK - Well... once
China - And what do you want?
UK - A trade deal worthy of our status
China - You've got one
UK - No we haven't
China - Yes you have. With the EU. You don't need to renegotiate your trade deals: you need to reassess your status. Cos you're not a mighty nation, you're a small, wet, heavily indebted island on the edge of a globally important trading bloc... which you left, you goons
UK - So, what do you suggest?
China - You already know
EU - Hello again. Here to rejoin?
UK - Yes, on the same terms as before.
EU - Oh, I don't think so. Say goodbye to your rebate, hello to the Euro, and bonjour to the Schengen area. You are so dumb.
UK - We hate you!

...by Alvin Armstrong

UK exports only set to be boosted by £3.4bn if their aims are met in FTA negotiations with the US.

This is peanuts.

The UK exported £281bn to the EU in 2018. If there is no FTA with the EU this will be massively reduced. Biting off your nose to spite your face is what this is.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/liz-truss-kick-starts-uk-us-trade-talks?utm_source=30ab36bc-7e2b-4a87-b8b6-2dba0dfd8498&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=immediate

12 hours ago, murphaph said:

A whopping 0.16% boost to the UK economy from a US trade deal with a 7.6% drop in GDP if no deal with the EU can be struck.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-51706802

When will the British public wake up and see they've been utterly conned?!

They'll just blame it on Johnny Foreigner. Problem solved.

• The EU will ask UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson to give ancient marble sculptures back to Greece as part of the deal, according to The Times of London.
  • Greece argues that the Parthenon Marbles, shipped from Athens by the British diplomat Lord Elgin more than 200 years ago, were taken unlawfully and should be returned.

https://www.businessinsider.de/international/brexit-eu-to-ask-uk-to-return-elgin-marbles-to-greece-in-trade-talks-2020-2/?r=US&IR=T

Brexit's promise of returning the UK to the height of the british empire hits its first hurdle :D

51 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

They'll just blame it on Johnny Foreigner. Problem solved.

Priti and/or Dominic are still free to announce another baby.

45 minutes ago, dom said:
  • The EU will ask UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson to give ancient marble sculptures back to Greece as part of the deal, according to The Times of London.
  • Greece argues that the Parthenon Marbles, shipped from Athens by the British diplomat Lord Elgin more than 200 years ago, were taken unlawfully and should be returned.

https://www.businessinsider.de/international/brexit-eu-to-ask-uk-to-return-elgin-marbles-to-greece-in-trade-talks-2020-2/?r=US&IR=T

Brexit's promise of returning the UK to the height of the british empire hits its first hurdle :D

These trade deals are going to be so much fun.

1 hour ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

Priti and/or Dominic are still free to announce another baby.

Why does the theme music from The Omen keep playing in my head when I think of these two having a baby together?!