Brexit: The fallout

12,157 posts in this topic

On 2/24/2020, 8:13:12, murphaph said:

"Priti Patel has demanded a formal leak inquiry into “hostile briefings” by officials in her department after claims emerged that intelligence chiefs at MI5 do not trust her."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/priti-patel-livid-after-claim-she-has-lost-trust-of-mi5-fdkkcc258

Of course it has all been denied by those involved. Decide for yourselves if you believe these denials given how livid Patel is about the leak.

Patel did hold off the books meetings with Israeli officials while 'on holiday' there, for which she had to resign under May's tenure as PM.

Johnson put this liability back in as Home Secretary.

Of course it is a hatched job. Nothing more that EU sympathisers and 5th columnists trying to undermine the government. 

Same with the bullying accusations.

Yawn! 

1 minute ago, hellfire99 said:

Of course it is a hatched job. Nothing more that EU sympathisers and 5th columnists trying to undermine the government. 

Same with the bullying accusations.

Yawn! 

It's "hatchet job". Are you sure you speak English?

I feel obliged to leave this here. Maybe you could find an herbal remedy. Or barring that, a cork.

2 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Seen it. 

The EU will crumble in maybe October.

Just saving for posterity's sake...

On 2/24/2020, 10:50:25, dom said:

ppp.jpg.5b4ef2f99e07be24050e6d9fcae83708

11 hours ago, dom said:

Made in Poland! But, ok they are blue now.

11 hours ago, dom said:

Immigration Minister Brandon Lewis said: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/blue-uk-passport-to-return-after-eu-exit

"Leaving the EU gives us a unique opportunity to restore our national identity and forge a new path for ourselves in the world.

That is why I am delighted to announce that the British passport will be returning to the iconic blue and gold design after we have left the European Union in 2019."

11 hours ago, dom said:

iconic blue and gold design: :lol:

aaaa.jpg.93b3a517231d3a57ee66e83bca82d12

Why is it only Remaniacs, such as Dom, who are interested in this?

Also, Dom, and I have said this before. If the UK can get the passports printed cheaper somewhere else, why shouldn't they?  

And if the blue passport really trigger you, as I think they do, then you can buy one of these remainer covers. 

remainer.JPG.5cd96d32c471d5764f374dcad30

:lol:

11 minutes ago, hellfire99 said:

Of course it is a hatched job. Nothing more that EU sympathisers and 5th columnists trying to undermine the government. Same with the bullying accusations. Yawn! 

7 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

I feel obliged to leave this here. Maybe you could find an herbal remedy. Or barring that, a cork.

On 2/21/2020, 3:30:14, El Jeffo said:

I'd prefer to see you getting your ass hit by the door on your way out of here, but you do you, man. I'm only interacting with you because it's Friday and you seem kind of desperate.

What was it you were saying about only interacting with me on Fridays, El Jeffo? 

:D

14 hours ago, murphaph said:

Half of all UK companies that export ONLY export to the EU.

These companies mostly have no staff or systems in place to handle exporting to outside the single market.

These companies are the most at risk and least prepared for Brexit but it's only half of exporting companies so I'm sure it's fine.

Have you got a link to that, Murphy? That these companies have no staff or systems in place to handle exporting outside the single market. Sound like your fairytale stuff, again. 

Maybe you can tell me why it is so different, too. 

5 hours ago, kiplette said:

Probably the first will be selling market produce in lbs again - people were prosecuted for that at the millennium and feelings ran high. 

Gallons will be back too, I am sure, as you say. Pints of milk - although that's never really gone away, you just buy a 475ml carton or whatever, and it's still a pint, but a properly European one :).

Just how many kids or young adults for that matter actually know what a lb is, or a Pint? How many have been taught in the last 20 years how many oz's there are in a lb or how many lb's are in a Stone? What's a hundred weight?

They can bring back imperial but the chances are the person serving them won't have a clue what they're on about.

A lot will have a fit if they saw how much a gallon of petrol cost. Here's a clue, multiply the cost of a litre by 4.54.

A "shinner" hellfy? Oh dear, oh dear, you are really showing your ignorance of Irish politics again.

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

Is that when those German car makers step in?

They stepped in last year, Murphy. 

European Auto Industry Warns Of 'Seismic' Impact Of No-Deal Brexit  (Industry Europe 23.09.19)

Europe's auto industry delivered a message on Monday (23 September) about the cataclysmic effects of a no-deal Brexit, warning that it would have 'seismic' ramifications on car manufacture in Europe.

The heads of 23 auto business associations across Europe released a rare joint statement, coming together to warn against the UK crashing out of the European Union without a deal in place. Several auto giants have factories in the UK including BMW, Nissan and Peugeot PSA.

“Brexit is not just a British problem, we are all concerned in the European automotive industry, and even further,” said Christian Peugeot, head of French automotive industry association CCFA in the statement.

Here's the statement they released.  

EU Automotive leaders unite to say “no” to ‘no deal’ Brexit

Also, 2020 is not looking so good for the auto industry in general.

German Auto Body Warns Of Fall In Sales & More Job Cuts In 2020  (Industry Europe 04.12.19)

Germany's Automobile industry association VDA issued a stark warning this week saying that it expects global car sales to fall by 5% - the largest drop since the financial crisis - and that more job cuts may come as a result in 2020.

They will be lobbying like they have never lobbied before! 

They will be lobbying for their own sector of course. They however will not be lobbying for a weakening of the single market to accomplish friction free trading and even if they did they would get nowhere. The automotive sector isn't big enough in most EU states for these states to even consider weakening the single market which encompasses ALL sectors of business.

I do not recall this linked press release having any impact whatsoever by the way.

Monsieur Barnier has his negotiation mandate, agreed by the EU. This will form the basis of the negotiations from the EU side. Barnier is not mandated to go on any solo runs. 

Here, @murphaph, I believe you referred to this.

Just 3 in 10 British firms that export to the EU are prepared for a no-deal Brexit

Less than a third of British companies that export to the European Union have secured crucial registration which they need to continue trading with the EU in a no-deal Brexit, government figures have shown.

The Treasury has published figures showing that just 27% of businesses that export to the EU have an Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number, which they need to trade with the EU in a no-deal exit.

The figures — obtained from the government by the Liberal Democrats — also show that if exporters to EU apply for EORI numbers at the current rate, all businesses won't be registered until at least the beginning of 2021. 

Chuka Umunna, the anti-Brexit party's Treasury spokesperson, said the figures show that "an overwhelming majority of UK exporters to the EU are unprepared for a 'no deal' Brexit and will not be in a position to deal with the mountain of red tape and bureaucracy it will burden them with on 31 October."

10 hours ago, hellfire99 said:

Also, Dom, and I have said this before. If the UK can get the passports printed cheaper somewhere else, why shouldn't they?  

And if the blue passport really trigger you, as I think they do, then you can buy one of these remainer covers. 

You choose a high quality leather version to represent remaining in the EU?

You're going soft, HF!

Thanks Alex. It's slightly dated but I doubt an awful lot has changed in the past few months as "no deal" was "averted" and many people think the danger of that has passed.

The slightly more than one quarter of companies referenced in the article you kindly linked to, presumably includes firms that also export outside the EU as these would already be familiar with the extra bureaucracy involved in shipping product outside a customs union.

These companies are likely to understand the issues they stand to face with their future exports to the EU much better than companies that currently only export to the EU (self evident really). But these companies make up half of all exporting companies!

I'm sure our resident Brexit fanboys and fangirls will be able to assure us all that everything will be fine in the sunlit uplands post Brexit. 

The UK also picked a particularly bad year to be desperately reliant on DEVELOPING new trade with China and the US given the current pandemic. Business meetings are being cancelled left, right and centre. A trade deal is meaningless without the trade that should follow it and trade doesn't just happen, human beings meet and make it happen.

Are the sunny uplands now totally dependent on Skype calls as well?

11 hours ago, hellfire99 said:

All France needs now is for them farmers to really start protesting about their loss of CAP funds

UK farmers got 3.5bn as well don`t forget,they`ve got to make that shortfall up from somewhere.

13 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

Maybe he had egg on his face :lol:

The much maligned CAP of course means the EU will always be able to feed itself. Yes, it has negative effects in Africa but the EU is mostly concerned about the EU. I would prefer to retain CAP, flaws and all, than be in the position the UK is in with respect to its lack of self sufficiency in food production.

CAP disproportionately benefits small farmers. That's why France and Ireland (including NI actually), for example especially benefit from it whereas GB for example does not. GB has fewer but larger landowners (much of it inherited land in the hands of the aristocracy or their descendants).

In the UK ironically it's these wealthy landowners like James Dyson that benefit the most from CAP.

Of course, CAP can be improved and it is being improved (for example in fraud detection) but that doesn't make for headlines that sell "newspapers".

19 hours ago, hellfire99 said:

Really sums all you need to know about the benefits of the new passport.

Lose your rights to move freely, work, live across Europe, but it's A VERY NICE COLOUR.

You just have to shake your head in despair.