Brexit: The fallout

12,166 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Hard Brexit is in 10 months. The UK is quite obviously unprepared. They don't have anywhere near the number of customs agents and it takes time to train them up.

How do you know all this?

Do you sit in all UK Government meetings?

15 hours ago, hellfire99 said:

Leo Varadkar has been hung out to dry by the EU  (The Spectator 21.02.20)

Wonder if Little Leo was expecting any favors for being the EU's patsy? 

From the blog post:

It never did make much sense why Britain would have to remain in full alignment with EU regulations purely to avoid a hard border in Ireland when Switzerland has a free-flowing border with several EU countries in spite of not being a member of the EU, the single market or the customs union.

AND while almost fully aligning with EU  standards and regulations through a couple legal bookshelves of bilateral treaties. I guess the author forgot to mention that part.

Hard Brexit is a fine example of ideologues barking themselves into a corner. It's clearly and plainly stupid to be so antagonistic with your biggest/nearest trading partner(s), but here we are. 

Expanded free-trade with the Americas and China, etc. is a rather delusional Prince in Shining Armour rescue fantasy. Brexit is done, kinda, that's that. Don't like playing by EU rules whatsoever? Well, curse geography and suffer?

1 hour ago, dom said:

If Patel isn't up to the job, being a bully to try to intimidate people she feels threatened by would fit. But the allegations are apparently being denied.

Home Secretary Priti Patel 'deeply concerned' by 'false MI5 claims'

8 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

How do you say "DEEP STATE" in British English?

"Bit of a bother." :D :D

10 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

How do you say "DEEP STATE" in British English?

We used to just refer to Sir Humphrey Appleby and snigger a bit, but I fear it has gone beyond that...

35 minutes ago, murphaph said:

France's Europe minister: "Just because Boris Johnson wants an agreement at any cost doesn't mean we will sign a bad deal for the French, under pressure of blackmail or the timetable." France will not sacrifice, she says, French fishermen, farmers or companies.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JenniferMerode/status/1231879926346854400

Pishtosh! I have it on very good authority that the UK is negotiating from a position of strength. A Position of Strength.

A. Position. Of. Strength.

Suck it, colonials and continentals. Britannia will rule again!

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

France's Europe minister: "Just because Boris Johnson wants an agreement at any cost doesn't mean we will sign a bad deal for the French, under pressure of blackmail or the timetable." France will not sacrifice, she says, French fishermen, farmers or companies.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JenniferMerode/status/1231879926346854400

I don´t disagree with her. She is sticking up for French interests. That´s her job. That is one of the problems with the EU - conflicting national interests. Who loses out already or has unfavourable conditions or will lose out?

I am a remainer because I believe it is our continent´s interests to work together  and IMPROVE the " system " but there are issues which piss people off eg the Common Agricultural Policy

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/10/brexit-leaving-eu-farming-agriculture

22 hours ago, murphaph said:

The truth may hurt John but it is the truth nonetheless!

I didn´t mean to offend you  (if I did ), murphaph! Sorry if I did. I am a bit worried about this Celtic Cringe. My family are Welsh, Scottish and English and happy to be a bastardized version of humanity!

:P

Nationality is not the issue (being serious ). Vested interests are and how to find a common ground to be useful and humane to all of us mere mortals.

It doesn´t matter to me that the Bank of England was founded by a Scot and the Bank of Scotland by an Englishman - it is just historically amusing.

Well, fuck me with the rough end of a pineapple.

Welcome back to the Good Old Days, where Albion could just send in a gunboat and blast Johnny Foreigner to Kingdom Come. Except that GB doesn't even have a Navy any more...aircraft carriers which spring leaks and rely on planes from Trumpistan.

What a friggin' shambles - Bojo disappears out of public sight for a couple of weeks, Shitti Patel shows her true colours...and this is what has happened to the country of my birth???

Thank Gawd I live here. Maybe my application for "Einbürgerung" will fail, maybe not, but at least I have my "Aufenthaltstitel" and can stay here come what may. Don't like what's happening here either with the f*cking AfD.

Gimme Shelter...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxPoCgk7A90

I found out today how to register in Greece if we don´t move back  to Germany. This has never been a issue. We are not registered. It doesn´t matter but in case of Brexit...

A Welsh friend did it the other day. Just pop down to the local cop shop (in our case, in Ierapetra , a town near by) - take passport and proof of health insurance..it doesn´t matter which health insurance..can be from Outer Mongolia..and wait till Manolis is back from holiday..and Bob´s your uncle.

:P

34 minutes ago, Keefy said:

Well, fuck me with the rough end of a pineapple.

Welcome back to the Good Old Days, where Albion could just send in a gunboat and blast Johnny Foreigner to Kingdom Come. Except that GB doesn't even have a Navy any more...aircraft carriers which spring leaks and rely on planes from Trumpistan.

What a friggin' shambles - Bojo disappears out of public sight for a couple of weeks, Shitti Patel shows her true colours...and this is what has happened to the country of my birth???

Thank Gawd I live here. Maybe my application for "Einbürgerung" will fail, maybe not, but at least I have my "Aufenthaltstitel" and can stay here come what may. Don't like what's happening here either with the f*cking AfD.

Gimme Shelter...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxPoCgk7A90

Showing our generation´s age, babe!

A great song!

:lol:

10 hours ago, Keefy said:

Shitti Patel shows her true colours

aPoop-512.jpg.98271ff20039e18b8b5766d179