Brexit: The fallout

11,637 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

You've been promising that doomsday scenario since you were SA618, but it hasn't come to fruition yet.

Please quote a post with this "doomsday" (your word)  scenario from SA618.    

I would guess that the trade talks between the US and EU will be the trigger.   Anyone who has failed to notice that the US was pretty restrained when Iran missiled a Saudi Arabian refinery, and on the sideline for the recent Libya talks should read better news sources.   

1 hour ago, balticus said:

Please quote a post with this "doomsday" (your word)  scenario from SA618.    

I would guess that the trade talks between the US and EU will be the trigger.   Anyone who has failed to notice that the US was pretty restrained when Iran missiled a Saudi Arabian refinery, and on the sideline for the recent Libya talks should read better news sources.   

Point of order. The chicken-shit SA618 had his account burned because he was afraid of real world consequences of being a complete and total jackass. Therefore, no one can quote SA618 at this point because we are just guessing which of the groyper jerks whose monikers are currently "Guest" he is. 

So what's next on the "Make Britain Sovereign again" agenda?

How about turning the BBC into Fox News? Why not? It is so quite brilliant in the US isn't it?

https://www.independent.co.uk/independentpremium/politics-explained/dominic-cummings-bbc-fox-news-boris-johnson-a9297081.html

We can also scrap cricket and introduce American Football instead. "Rather good bowl" instead of "superbowl"...

3 minutes ago, dom said:

"Rather good bowl" instead of "superbowl"...

I do like "Rather good bowl", but that's the American Football championship (or "Armoured Wankball" as I believe it's called in the UK*). Baseball plays the "World Series", because as far as Americans are concerned, North America is the world.

*Due to expire 31 December 2020

12 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

American Football championship

thanks! Edited!!

PS  "Armoured Wankball" is also up there...

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

The UK is really effectively severing one of its own limbs for sovereignty. It's rather perverse.

Just to be clear: the UK hasn't won any sovereignty through brexiting!

"The sovereignty argument for Brexit is a myth. As a member of the EU, Britain maintains its sovereign power in areas of critical importance to its citizens. But, by pooling certain aspects of its 'absolute' sovereignty, Britain's 'effective' sovereignty—its ability to control the forces that shape the fortunes of its citizens—is strengthened, not diminished."

Robin Niblett is Director of Chatham House, The Royal Institute of International Affairs.

https://www.newsweek.com/brexit-eu-sovereignty-argument-myth-457816

1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

...  Baseball plays the "World Series", because as far as Americans are concerned, North America is the world.

Going off topic for a mo:

I have to give this back to the Amis who might know this, but I thought the "World Series" was named after a newspaper "New York World".

Played Trivial Persuits once to often, me thinks.

3 hours ago, murphaph said:

Oh this is too funny. Brexiter stunned at waiting to clear immigration at Schiphol (rumour has it it was a test run for the end of the year)...

https://mobile.twitter.com/ColinBrowning14/status/1227906931450425344

Two particularly funny comments:

Make Britain Wait Again

Take a trip to Amsterdam to note how many British tourists are walking around the city. 

Make them wait and maybe they will take weekend trips and their money to places which don't make them wait.   

If you want to see people inconvenienced, that says more about you than about them.  

Amsterdam has been trying to cut its visitor numbers as is overcrowded.  Recent survey of British visitors, over 40 percent said they would visit less often once the ban once coffee shops are fully banned from selling hash and dope to tourists.

5 hours ago, murphaph said:

Oh this is too funny. Brexiter stunned at waiting to clear immigration at Schiphol (rumour has it it was a test run for the end of the year)...

https://mobile.twitter.com/ColinBrowning14/status/1227906931450425344

Probably another entitled dumbed down Twat that didn't bother to question what he was told by BoJo and Farage. You voted for it, you live with it.

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

Yep. Same in Spain. They've had enough of loutish "tourists" vomiting all over their pavements and pissing in their doorways.

Did you just point out a positive aspect of Brexit?  You're going soft murph.  😉

3 hours ago, snowingagain said:

Amsterdam has been trying to cut its visitor numbers as is overcrowded.  Recent survey of British visitors, over 40 percent said they would visit less often once the ban once coffee shops are fully banned from selling hash and dope to tourists.

Overcrowding is now an issue in so many places and the locals´ reaction to it eg Barcelona, Venice (with the cruise ships ), eg Macchu Picchu etc etc. Plus the issue of  airbnb and the  locals´  living space affordability.

56 minutes ago, john g. said:

Overcrowding is now an issue in so many places and the locals´ reaction to it eg Barcelona, Venice (with the cruise ships ), eg Macchu Picchu etc etc. Plus the issue of  airbnb and the  locals´  living space affordability.

For sure.  I feel so lucky to have seen so many places before all this happened.   I am fortunate that I have found places with few cars, no cheap flights nor airbnb.   It means long times on trains, but I like them.  And of course not perfect weather,  And when lucky, camping in wild places.  And absolutely camping where cars are not allowed except in a separate carpark, and hopefully be charged for that.