Brexit: The fallout

11,637 posts in this topic

Just now, El Jeffo said:

"Never mind my bollocks, respond angrily to my frantic yet feeble attempts at taking the piss," said HeckMatchstick66.

What happened to you ignoring me, El Jeffo? 

:lol:

I like this video.

I like how the EU have realised they are up to their necks in it and are going to need the UK's help.

Contrition, I would say!

The Club is in trouble.  As I have already said, they need to forge ahead with a Superstate because there is now no way back because of the Euro. The EU is in paralysis. 

What happens if there is no deal? Yeah, that's right, people become even more disillusioned with the EU. Throw into this powder keg national elections and who knows what we will see.  You can google all the Member States elections but here are a few of the big players that are coming up just in time for the Brexit grand finale! 

Dutch elections 2021, German elections 2021, French elections in 2022, Poland 2023, etc

I can see national leaders trying to save their own sorry arses at the expense of the EU. 

Mark my words, the UK will be fine in these negotiations now that we have someone with a bit of backbone at the helm. 

9 minutes ago, murphaph said:

It's like trying to ignore someone who insists on exposing themselves to you on the train.

Stop stamping your feet and going in a huff!

Brexit has happened. 

43 minutes ago, hellfire99 said:

Anyways, let's not fuck about with the semantics. 

3 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Going off in a huff you mean? Where exactly are you from again?

I'm from the UK. 

That's the problem with you, Murphy. You want to come across as clever but you are not. 

Or why else are you pissing about with the minutiae? 

Let us see your intellect. Tell us what you think about the content of the video I have just posted, please. 

I think Frau von der Leyen is correct in everything she says in that video. It seems an utterly unremarkable set of statements and entirely in line with the EU's established position. Honestly your overreaction to it reads like a Daily Express headline.

10 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

A twisted figment of the Matrix, if you will, changing its nationality and location at a whim. 

<off topic>

Just a quick question, El Jeffo. 

How come your profile picture is not your real picture? 

You're in a strop because of my nationality/location but you don't use your real picture. 

Makes you think, eh! 

;) 

<back on topic>

8 hours ago, hellfire99 said:

Just a quick question, El Jeffo.

How come your profile picture is not your real picture?

You're in a strop because of my nationality/location but you don't use your real picture. 

Says the male troll with a female photoshopped profile picture.

Yeah, right. Go back to Russia.

8 hours ago, hellfire99 said:

That's the problem with you, Murphy. You want to come across as clever but you are not. 

Or why else are you pissing about with the minutiae? 

Let us see your intellect.

Sorry HF, Murphaph is clever, whereas you are a wind-up artist!

9 hours ago, hellfire99 said:

Mark my words, the UK will be fine in these negotiations now that we have someone with a bit of backbone at the helm. 

"will be fine" is a bit vague, don't you think? Go to Ladbrokes and try and place a bet on the UK "being fine"...

Not clever, mate!

11 hours ago, murphaph said:

The "onwards and upwards" shit it spouts is particularly humorous given the day that's in it. Suella fucking Braverman was appointed Attorney General of the United Kingdom today. It's become a joke of a country.

Here is a nice dose of gloom and doom for you murph:

Economically, the UK will be in a much better position than Germany in 10 years, and the Brexiteers will be feeling pretty smug.    France will take over the leadership role of the EU and Germany will look like a "sick man" once again.   

10 years from now, nobody on this board or in British society will admit to having been an adamant support of the remain position.   

UKians who are feeling smug right now thinking that they have averted disaster by having a residence and life in Germany might want to hold off on the self congratulatory behavior for a few years.   

Some people may find that if the economy in Germany is NOT superior, Germany may not be such a great place to live as a foreigner.   

Well, in that case, if we felt that opportunities were in fact better in the UK, most of us would probably just go back. It's not that far away. 

10 minutes ago, kiplette said:

Well, in that case, if we felt that opportunities were in fact better in the UK, most of us would probably just go back. It's not that far away. 

For those who bought a house, started a business, developed professional and social networks in Germany for several years based on the assumption that things would be much better than in the UK, it might be surprising.  

It is harder to up and leave when married, with family and somewhat established.   Sorry to point out what is probably obvious. 

There goes alt-bicus with the doom and gloom again. Stop spreading FUD.

A middle-aged American man pretending to be an Estonian female with at least one teenage child isn't someone who should be criticizing anyone for their life choices.

Send back dampsquib99 instead. He's at least marginally entertaining (in a point-and-laugh kind of way).

5 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

A middle-aged American man pretending to be an Estonian female with at least one teenage child isn't someone who should be criticizing anyone for their life choices.

Says the man advertising comedy as joestandup.

49 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Wow, RF figured me out. I really am a Canadian standup comic masquerading as an American on Toytown.

He truly has a dizzying intellect.

I might as well ask Bob to change my name to El JoeJoe now that I've been found out. See you all aboot the forum, I guess.

You're totally deranged.

33 minutes ago, balticus said:

For those who bought a house, started a business, developed professional and social networks in Germany for several years based on the assumption that things would be much better than in the UK, it might be surprising. 

Well, yes, that is all obvious, but what I am saying is that if it was so rubbish that we would really be better off back in the UK, it is mostly not going to be actually impossible to move - by definition we have already done that at least once. 

I am not saying it is ideal, or that everyone would be in that position, but plenty would. Moving kids back to the UK schooling system is less of a headache than coming here. 

Of course there are those who would be massively disadvantaged - and cornered into staying in sub-optimal circumstances. Often large economic shifts have a smaller effect than you would imagine on average lives, though. 

It is going to be interesting. 

1 hour ago, balticus said:

Economically, the UK will be in a much better position than Germany in 10 years, and the Brexiteers will be feeling pretty smug.    France will take over the leadership role of the EU and Germany will look like a "sick man" once again.

This is a fine case of wishful thinking!

I don't want to "bet" or please do not "mark my words", but I don't expect much to change in Germany in the next 10 years with respect to quality of life compared with the UK. The parliamentary system and hence German Government policy is directed to resource/benefit the whole of society. The class divide in the UK doesn't exist there. The Tory Government can say (or whisper) "F*ck the NHS" as only the peasants use that mediocre system.

Dominic Cummings said Tory MPs do not care about poor people or NHS

This article is more than 6 months old

Exclusive: Johnson’s senior advisor expressed damning views in 2017 and now has key role in No 10

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/30/dominic-cummings-tories-do-not-care-about-poor-people-or-the-nhs

2 hours ago, balticus said:

Here is a nice dose of gloom and doom for you murph:

10 years from now, nobody on this board or in British society will admit to having been an adamant support of the remain position.   

UKians who are feeling smug right now thinking that they have averted disaster by having a residence and life in Germany might want to hold off on the self congratulatory behavior for a few years.   

Some people may find that if the economy in Germany is NOT superior, Germany may not be such a great place to live as a foreigner.   

I'm Irish not British but if the UK does turn into a land of milk and honey my Irish passport means I can just go live there. I strongly suspect I won't be doing that.

Oh, why will it take 10 years for these massive Brexit dividends to pay out? If the advantages are so obvious I would have thought the payout would begin immediately. What will poorer people in the UK do while waiting out this decade?

17 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I'm Irish not British but if the UK does turn into a land of milk and honey my Irish passport means I can just go live there. I strongly suspect I won't be doing that.

I said it would be better off than Germany, not necessarily good.   

17 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Oh, why will it take 10 years for these massive Brexit dividends to pay out? If the advantages are so obvious I would have thought the payout would begin immediately. What will poorer people in the UK do while waiting out this decade?

It is not caused by Brexit directly, but rather the fact that the UK will have a closer relationship with the US (unless it screws that up) and weaker ties to a sinking Eurozone.

I have typed this before, so pardon the repetition.    Germany is making strategic errors, and the post WWII order which relied on American largesse is disintegrating.   This would have happened whether Trump or Clinton would have won the 2016 election and it will continue with the next administration.  

In particular:

1.  Germany's voluntary reliance on Russian gas was a long term strategic mistake.

2.  Germany's flirtation with Huawei is a mistake.

3.  Germany's failure to fund its military is a mistake.   This can be seen in current times via the lack of influence in Syria, Persian Gulf, and Libya.

4.  Germany is a manufacturing country with an incoherent energy policy and barely and commodities produced domestically.

5.  German demographics are awful, but so it is with most European countries outside France.  

Germany is going to find that the economic incentives which bolstered the Cold War security arrangement are way overdue to end as the Cold War is mostly over.    US securing the high seas, the stability of Europe, and the world's energy supply are coming to an end.    Germany, as top exporter, tries to lowball its way through supporting institutions which are responsible for its prosperity.  

It may take a few years, but my prediction is that the days of exporting close to half of GDP will come to an end, employment will increase, and the locals will blame outside forces rather than themselves.  

Already plotting my exit in about 18 months time and hope and i can hold out.  

You've been promising that doomsday scenario since you were SA618, but it hasn't come to fruition yet.

You're all fizzle - no wonder you expect it from others. Every post is projection. Every accusation a confession. It's really very Trumpian of you.