Brexit: The fallout

12,046 posts in this topic

I love the smell of Brexit in the morning! 

9 hours ago, murphaph said:

Excellent debating skills, Murphy. Post a link to N26's support page?  :lol:

6th formers can do better than that, mate. 

Let's have a look at what really happened here on Planet Earth and not on Planet Murphy! 

N26 didn't apply for a UK banking licence which they could have. Why is that? Because they were a late to market startup and are seemingly not very good. They tried to enter a highly competitive market and were dogged by problems. 

Banking unicorn N26 rapped by German regulator in money laundering probe

Digital banking startup N26 has been ordered by the German banking regulator to step up its anti-money laundering policies, after a probe found the fintech firm was deficient in several areas.

Bafin said today it has issued an order against N26 to "take appropriate internal safety measures" in order to comply with rules on customer due diligence obligations, and sufficiently monitor accounts for money laundering and terrorist financing.

The probe followed reports of fraudulent transactions and problems with the bank’s communications structure, which first emerged in October last year.

Customers complained of fraudulent activity going ignored at the bank due to poor reporting processes, in one instance relating to theft of about €80,000 (£68,848). Some users said they were unable to get a response through its chatbot or by email for several weeks, which were the only means of talking to staff.

Shite product! No wonder they didn't apply for a UK license. 

German digital bank N26 quits UK 'due to Brexit'

German digital bank N26 has announced it is pulling out of the UK, saying it will no longer be able to operate in Britain with its European banking licence. City A.M. understands the decision was taken not to apply for a UK banking licence due to the complexity and costs involved.

The challenger bank launched in the competitive UK in October 2018, and rolled out its services in the US last year.

Forrester senior analyst Aurelie L’Hostis added: “N26’s launch in the UK might have felt like a natural next step back in 2018… Yet, Brexit was already looming ominously in the distance back then — and there were questions regarding the validity of that licence post-Brexit.

“Beyond that, N26 entered the UK market on the heels of fast-moving rival challenger banks Monzo, Revolut and Starling Bank. Catching up was not going to be easy.”

Basically, poor management, shite due diligence and crap product.

Stick a Brexit spin on this and it is 100% wholesome remoanner doomsday bait. 

9 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

Brexit: Border delays 'could cause fresh food problems' according to British Retail Consortium.

Maybe they'll all get blue ration books to go with the blue passports (printed in France, natch).

Remember when Murphy had an epiphany, El Jeffo?  Yeah, neither do I, but remember when he said ... 

On 2/9/2020, 10:01:14, murphaph said:

This goes to illustrate that Brexit is not happening in a vacuum.

Because we all though it was happening in a vacuum, didn't we. <facepalm

Tell me about the UK-EU trade deficit, please.  That €66 Billion trade deficit (2018) must include rather a lot of perishable goods. 

What happens to them when they are stuck on the other side of the channel, El Jeffo?

Yeah, they perish.

And then what? Return to sender, do not pass go and do not collect €200. 

Why do you want to see people impoverished, El Jeffo? 

By the way, El Jeffo. It makes economic sense to get things printed as cheaply as possible, providing the criterion are met. Why use an expensive passport printer when you can use a cheaper, but just as good, French printer? 

Can you explain your point on that please? 

6 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

Boris Johnson sacks Brexiteer ministers in cabinet reshuffle

He'll just install more complete numbskulls...

The UK has a strong and stable government. PM Johnson is simply reinforcing this. 

Viva La Brexit!  

I wasn´t sure, hellfire..so I googled (because my French teacher from school way back then is long gone. Mr Petit! Yep! He was named so.)

LE Brexit, babe...it´s a bloody masculine noun.

You can´t get the staff!

https://en.bab.la/dictionary/english-french/brexit

(PS...no idea why it is a masculine noun...something to do with " emasculated? " )

No idea.

:P

AND .." viva " is more appropriate on the Mexican Revolution thread ( which I have miserably failed to start - despite now being the un-proud user of Windows10...)

Bad news for you remainers! 

Amazon buys huge logistics site in Gateshead as it prepares for Brexit

The deal comes as companies hunt for logistics space away from Calais, where there are concerns there could be a bottleneck.

Amazon has doubled down on its UK expansion plan with the purchase of a major new fulfillment centre on Tyneside, close to ports which are expected to receive a boost in activity from Brexit.

Filings on Companies House reveal Amazon has taken control of Follingsby International Enterprise Park, a developer which controls a 22-hectare site in Gateshead, just south of Newcastle. 

According to planning documents, which list Follingsby as the owner and developer, a warehouse as big as 190,000 square metres could be built on the site, with proposals currently going through consultation. 

The total development cost of the site, called Follingsby Park South and situated between Sunderland, Newcastle and Durham, has been estimated at around £120m. A warehouse on the land could employ a total of 3,225 people, documents suggested...

Hurrah!  

Regarding the possible 'bottleneck' mentioned in the article. What's to say that the UK sources non-EU goods, through Freeports,  which are cheaper and the EU loses UK market share? Fuck the bottlenecks! 

Mersey port in 'great position' for US trade deal - ambassador

The United States ambassador has told the Port of Liverpool it is "perfectly positioned" for a post-Brexit trade deal. In his first visit post-Brexit, Robert Johnson toured the dock facility and discussed how the US could work with UK transatlantic companies.

The visit followed a government launch to source "free port" locations. Mr Johnson also dismissed fears of food standards being compromised, and said "we all want the best".

As a west-facing port, Liverpool stood to benefit from delivering US goods, he said. "The infrastructure is here is to get goods all around the country - I think it is perfectly positioned."

Anyone who thinks the Club holds all the cards is deluded.

They don't!

6 minutes ago, john g. said:

I wasn´t sure, hellfire..so I googled (because my French teacher from school way back then is long gone. Mr Petit! Yep! He was named so.)

LE Brexit, babe...it´s a bloody masculine noun.

You can´t get the staff!

:P

Facking French wankers! 

Cheers, John!

Viva Le Brexit! 

Onwards and upwards!

Economy beats gloomy forecasts to be third-fastest growing in G7

Britain had the third-fastest growing economy in the G7 group of advanced nations last year even though it stagnated in the final quarter.

Official figures show that the economy beat expectations to grow by 1.4 per cent last year. The UK outperformed France, Germany and Italy, which grew by 1.3 per cent, 0.5 per cent and 0.2 per cent respectively.

According to the Office for National Statistics (ONS), growth picked up to 0.3 per cent in December alone. The annual 1.4 per cent growth rate meant that Britain was behind only the US and Canada, which posted growth of 2.2 per cent and 1.5 per cent respectively.

But not for the EU who need desperately to form a Superstate. 

Fresh fears for eurozone as industrial production crashes

Industrial production slumped at the end of 2019 and faces more problems from the coronavirus in 2020.

Industry in the eurozone suffered a dramatic collapse in production in December as output levels dived 4.1pc compared with the same month a year earlier.

Production has not fallen faster since the depths of the financial crisis, according to official data from Eurostat, indicating the scale of the crunch facing the sector.

Germany led the fall among the big economies with a 7.2pc plunge, with Italy down 4.3pc and France 3.2pc.

Compared with November, output across the currency area was down 2.1pc as capital goods, consumer goods, energy production and intermediate goods all fell.

That's not looking good and why be shackled to that? 

Hence the EU's pathetic insistence that the UK to sign up to this joke of a level playing field.

I've never heard anything so desperate from the EU! 

2 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Digital diarrhea.

And mental. It's just a fantasy character, like the angel and devil sitting on your shoulders, but if both were just insulting you and talking random bollocks all the time.

A twisted figment of the Matrix, if you will, changing its nationality and location at a whim. 

28 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Digital diarrhea.

23 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

And mental. It's just a fantasy character, like the angel and devil sitting on your shoulders, but if both were just insulting you and talking random bollocks all the time.

A twisted figment of the Matrix, if you will, changing its nationality and location at a whim. 

I thought people like you, with them big brains, could easily put a simple Brexiteer in his place.

That you choose to stamp your feet and lack the strength to do so, says much about you. 

By all means, stick to memes, if you lack the nous to debate. 

Funny, though.  

The "onwards and upwards" shit it spouts is particularly humorous given the day that's in it. Suella fucking Braverman was appointed Attorney General of the United Kingdom today. It's become a joke of a country.

5 minutes ago, murphaph said:

The "onwards and upwards" shit it spouts is particularly humorous given the day that's in it. Suella fucking Braverman was appointed Attorney General of the United Kingdom today. It's become a joke of a country.

Calm down and explain please, Murphy.  

Suella Braverman is not qualified enough (she has only practiced as a barrister for 7 years, not even long enough to be called to the bench!) and not intelligent enough to be the most senior solicitor in the country, advising cabinet on the law, hellfy.

3 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Suella Braverman is not qualified enough (she has only practiced as a barrister for 7 years, not even long enough to be called to the bench!) and not intelligent enough to be the most senior solicitor in the country, advising cabinet on the law, hellfy.

Hmmm... who to trust!

The UK government or a disgruntled irish bloke on the internet? 

Tough decision. 

What happened to your revered debating nous?

Oh, I still have that, thanks. 

I just wondered how you know she is not intelligent enough. 

Disgruntled? It's not my country. Do you know what 'disgruntled' means hellfy?

Let's find out together, shall we? 

des.JPG.ea69c1a60b1245e13e66f4592dc43028

Yes, I think disgruntled is the correct word, Murphy. 

Anyways, let's not fuck about with the semantics. 

"Never mind my bollocks, respond angrily to my frantic yet feeble attempts at taking the piss," said HeckMatchstick66.