Brexit: The fallout

12,047 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, hellfire99 said:

Mate, you are prize dingbat writing that! 

Firstly, I am not your "mate" and I doubt that you have any... even on the net...

Secondly.. try looking back at the shite and drivel that you post on here...   

It must be lonely under that bridge of yours.. 

Let's kick this thread up the arse with a restart! 

I saw this on the BBC last week. And when I say I "saw" this, I mean I had to dig deep in the bowels of the BBC website. If this had been the UK the BBC would have plastered it all over the front page and even Philip Schofield wouldn't have got a look in. 

Eurozone economy barely growing at all  (The BBC) 

The eurozone economy of 19 European Union countries barely grew at all in the final quarter of last year.

A first official estimate puts economic growth in the region at 0.1% during the three months to the end of December 2019.

Two of the eurozone's largest economies shrank in the period: France by 0.1% and Italy by 0.3%.

However, the jobs market was in better shape, with the number of people unemployed falling by 34,000.

No separate figures for Germany have been published yet. But Claus Vistesen of Pantheon Macro says that on the basis of the data released so far, growth in Europe's largest economy was about 0.2%.

Among those that have published their own national data, Spain is the strongest, continuing the pattern of a relatively robust rebound after its financial crisis.

But the overall picture is downbeat.

Hardly stellar growth.

The EU have got serious problems. To be honest, the only way they are going to fix them is to become a federal superstate. Verhofstadt said it better. 

Once the member states have transferred power to the EU, the EU can crack on with ironing out the economic differences within the EU.  The unelected Commission in Brussels can set taxes, economic and fiscal policy and hold the purse strings for the "provinces". 

It's probably the only way the €U is going to survive because they are in a right royal mess. 

Not everyone is going to like this, though. 

As we have already seen, that French wanker Macron, who we all fawned over back in the day, has turned out to be, well ... a French wanker.  He's more focussed on the EU than on France. But he needs to be because France is shackled to the EU and the €uro. 

It seems that the media has lost interest in reporting the riots and strikes that France is afflicted with. Or maybe they would rather not report it and scare the horses? 

French emergency services fighting each other, anyone? 

As I have said, throw into this mix a no deal Brexit and the French for example, are going to be rather fucking irate about their economic losses.   Enter stage left Marine Le Pen to sweep up the disillusioned. 

Interestingly, the EU Commission may have a cunning plan to avoid member states putting the kibosh on any future Brexit deal. 

EU national parliaments may not get to vote on Brexit trade deal  ( The Independent) 

Parliaments voting on the deal could make things more difficult.

The national parliaments of EU member states may not be given a vote to approve the EU's Brexit trade deal with the UK, Brussels has indicated.

EU officials said they are "confident" that the scope of the agreement with Britain will be narrow enough that parliaments do not have to be given a vote – but said it might be decided to give them one anyway.

We wouldn't want the Spanish vetoing a deal over Gibraltar and resulting in German job losses, would we! 

And let's not forget about the budget squabbles that are soon going to be breaking out in the Member States now that the UK's cash has dried up.  

What a club! 

Anyways, let's not dwell on that, here's some positive news to cheer you all up. 

UK economy's post-election rebound strengthens in January: PMI

The British economy’s post-election bounce gained strength in January as services companies enjoyed the strongest influx of new orders since mid-2018, a closely watched survey showed on Wednesday. It was the strongest reading since September 2018 and came in above all forecasts in a Reuters poll of economists that had pointed to a reading of 52.9.

The survey showed new business in services companies grew last month at the fastest rate since June 2018.

1 hour ago, SpiderPig said:

Firstly, I am not you "mate" and I doubt that you have any... even on the net...

Secondly.. try looking back at the shite and drivel that you post on here...   

It must be lonely under that bridge of yours.. 

:lol:

2 hours ago, hellfire99 said:

I saw this on the BBC last week. And when I say I "saw" this, I mean I had to dig deep in the bowels of the BBC website. If this had been the UK the BBC would have plastered it all over the front page and even Philip Schofield wouldn't have got a look in. 

Eurozone economy barely growing at all  (The BBC) 

Hardly stellar growth.

The EU have got serious problems. To be honest, the only way they are going to fix them is to become a federal superstate. Verhofstadt said it better. 

Once the member states have transferred power to the EU, the EU can crack on with ironing out the economic differences within the EU.  The unelected Commission in Brussels can set taxes, economic and fiscal policy and hold the purse strings for the "provinces". 

It's probably the only way the €U is going to survive because they are in a right royal mess. 

Not everyone is going to like this, though. 

As we have already seen, that French wanker Macron, who we all fawned over back in the day, has turned out to be, well ... a French wanker.  He's more focussed on the EU than on France. But he needs to be because France is shackled to the EU and the €uro. 

It seems that the media has lost interest in reporting the riots and strikes that France is afflicted with. Or maybe they would rather not report it and scare the horses? 

French emergency services fighting each other, anyone? 

As I have said, throw into this mix a no deal Brexit and the French for example, are going to be rather fucking irate about their economic losses.   Enter stage left Marine Le Pen to sweep up the disillusioned. 

Interestingly, the EU Commission may have a cunning plan to avoid member states putting the kibosh on any future Brexit deal. 

EU national parliaments may not get to vote on Brexit trade deal  ( The Independent) 

We wouldn't want the Spanish vetoing a deal over Gibraltar and resulting in German job losses, would we! 

And let's not forget about the budget squabbles that are soon going to be breaking out in the Member States now that the UK's cash has dried up.  

What a club! 

Anyways, let's not dwell on that, here's some positive news to cheer you all up. 

UK economy's post-election rebound strengthens in January: PMI

Jeez, that film of the cops v the firefighters looks as if it had been transplanted straight from Latin America.😟

2 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

ECA.jpg.95ba02a57ef0521390e625ba9340710d

I just checked out nick@nicktolhurst on Twitter. He's a funny guy!

nick.JPG.7765205589416c1986075823ea75017

ode.JPG.f44ad21ab64ededc5ac4ddc80843a084

Pfffffft!  :lol:

Can someone tell him the UK is still part of Europe, please?  

2 hours ago, john g. said:

Jeez, that film of the cops v the firefighters looks as if it had been transplanted straight from Latin America.😟

Yeah, wait till them fishermen get given the good news about fishing in the UK's waters, John.  No doubt, they'll be getting battered by the police, too. (Pun intended) 

Of course, the reports, such as the one below, are all part of the negotiations pantomime that will be played out over the next year. But I can already imagine the hysterics on here. 

Britain to introduce bill to end automatic EU fishing rights in UK waters

Foreign boats will require a licence to fish in British waters after Brexit under new legislation being brought before MPs today. 

The Fisheries Bill means EU vessels will have to abide by UK law if they enter UK waters and will end any automatic right the boats formerly held.

It will be the first time since 1973 that Britain will have been able to control which fishing vessels enter its waters.

The new law also enshrines protections for threatened species, including dolphins, which currently suffer injury and death when they are caught as bycatch by EU-approved supertrawlers.

Theresa Villiers, the Environment Secretary, said that the new bill “takes back control of our waters" and would enable the UK to create a fishing industry for coastal communities that is sustainable, profitable, while "securing the long term health of British fisheries”...

On 2/6/2020, 11:23:00, hellfire99 said:

It's alright Murphy, I've got your back. 

EM8SSRgXsAEzYqm.jpg.a97119a159ccd16b09f3

:D

Ffs.

I like Murphy and his contribution to this debate. I also hopes he continues to post.  

If you feel the need to ridicule him please do not use my posts to do it.

Fascinating history!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cod_Wars

Interesting..the Second " Cod War"...both the " West "  and the Warsaw Pact powers sided against Iceland...so many geo-political issues etc..

But many African States at that time of their independence movements took another view.

4 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Back to the 70s ...  Fishing wars..    

Lets wait for the film "The Cod Father".. 

.There was the Beatles album " Blubber Sole." (sic)

:rolleyes:

Ireland held it's first Saturday general election since independence yesterday (last one was for Westminster in 1918) and the exit polls put just 0.1% between the three largest parties (first preference votes under PR-STV, so not at all clear how this translates to seats). Sinn Féin are for the first time one of the largest parties. 

The outcome could have a significant impact on Brexit, depending on how deep the trade deal goes (or not). If SF managed to form a coalition government (not overly likely but possible) it might take a more hard-line approach to matters. The British tabloid media does not realise that the current Taoiseach is about as pro-British as they were ever likely to meet.

This goes to illustrate (along with Trump's alleged admonishment of Johnson over Huawei) that Brexit is not happening in a vacuum.

"What a club".

Have to say that I agree with this. Brexit will not be just cons.

On 2/7/2020, 8:23:56, hellfire99 said:

Cool story, bro! 

admission complete! ^_^

On 2/8/2020, 10:37:13, hellfire99 said:

still waiting...

20 minutes ago, dom said:

still waiting...

Waiting for HF to make sense on a thread? Enjoy the wait!

5e40ffe34db90_LUrAlsa1.jpg.e94f285805344

10 hours ago, dom said:

still waiting...

see...when I say that, my posts get removed,

On 03/02/2020, 19:53:01, HEM said:

I was in a similar situation (Sun Microsystems / Oracle).  For example we had a weekly conference call concerning the services aspects of a particular hardware setup.  This was run by the US colleagues based in Colorado: in fact they held two conferences on the same day - one in their morning (our evening) for US & Western Europe & a second one in their afternoon involving Asia.  Were they suprised once when I joined the second call (I was visiting the offices in San Francisco).

Uncle Larry's Oracle Campus, or the ex-Sun offices that are now Facebook? ;-)

38 minutes ago, dom said:

rm.jpg.57cdf30141f2d1d4e8aab25dcba466b7.

Jacob Rees-C**t!!  (I heard him coming out with elitist bullshit on LBC regarding British who had moved to Europe, a few months ago, absolutely despise him now!!)