Brexit: The fallout

14,316 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, HEM said:

(Maybe by the time 2028 comes along Boris & Fromage will both be in the Tower & GB will be back in the club).

I don't honestly think the UK will ever get back into the EU; certainly not in our lifetimes. Every EU member country would have to approve - can you imagine Spain and others not placing a ton of conditions on the UK that it could never agree to? Not going to happen.

What does TT think of Mik'e Peterson's comment, below?

7595_21.01.20_web_ML.jpg?resize=600%2C17

' Maybe Clive should volunteer to explore the glories of the new branch in Frankfurt, once Brexit finally hits. It’s only 400 miles, but putting the channel and a couple of countries between himself and his ex and his boss might just brighten things up a bit.'  http://www.dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2020/01/23/csotd-friday-funnies-come-on-a-thursday-this-week/

On 1/21/2020, 9:26:37, Keleth said:

Something that you say was the driving force behind Brexit in coastal towns deserves to be considered more than a bargaining chip.

Funnily enough the stance has already changed from as soon as Brexit happens EU boats will be banned from UK waters to not until at least the end of the year if then.

On 1/21/2020, 10:31:34, hellfire99 said:

Can you link an article to that because I have never read anything of the likes? 

On 1/22/2020, 10:07:40, Keleth said:

To be honest, I've only had a cursory look at the articles you have posted but the common denominator seems to be promises from The Brexit Party and Fishing for Leave. Not the UK government. 

From your links:

A ‘Brexit bonanza’ for UK fishing? That’s a fishy tale with an unhappy ending  (The Guardian)

Will EU boats be excluded immediately, as the Brexit party and its acolyte Fishing for Leave stridently insist? 

UK fishing industry, or Brexit's red herrings  (DW) 

... and Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage talks endlessly of saving the British fishing industry, telling beleaguered local fishing communities the UK will "reassert" control over its waters by exiting the Common Fisheries Policy (CFP).

Quotas would go, he promises, access regained and Albion unchained would once again rule the waves, despite the fact the Remain-voting Scotland makes up 53% of the entire UK industry.

The Brexit party and the Fishing for Leave organization say EU boats will be excluded immediately from British waters and British boats will be able to fish whatever and wherever they want to fish.

The Brexit Party and Fishing for Leave are in no position to make these statements. Well, correction! They can make any statements they want. Just as taxi drivers and hairdressers, who should seemingly be running the country, can.  

They are not the government so I attach no importance to it. 

Maybe you can post some comments from that drunken bloke down the pub because they carry the same weight as the articles you linked.

Looks like you've been duped, Keleth. 

Actually from what I remember many were better.

Something we can agree on. 

As I have already posted: 

Trial over weight-loss pill behind 'up to 2,000 deaths' opens in France

How did this happen on the EMA's watch? And how did the diesel scandal happen? 

However that they won`t be lowered is a question of trust and how many people trust the Govt (Well apart from you)

Plus workers rights is the real test as to what they`ll do with that.This is the same govt that thinks zero hour contracts are a good thing.

We shall have to wait and see. 

Regarding zero hour contracts. You do realise that they are actually beneficial for some people, don't you? Not everyone on a zero hour contract is being shafted.

Double edged sword, mate. 

Bit like the minimum wage.  People below were happy to get a pay rise but some people over the threshold didn't receive a pay rise for years as, "they were over the minimum wage".   

Politics, innit! 

Nope but have absolutely no sympathy for a group of people and businesses that brought the country to its knees while enriching themselves even to the extent of taking their bonuses after they`d been bailed out.So anyone who joins that line of work since then also gets no sympathy.

Fair enough, but I think you have watched too many Hollywood movies. There are a lot of people working in the Financial Services who are not scum.  Disliking people simply because of their profession smacks of bigotry. 

Would you class yourself as a bigot, Keleth? 

On 1/22/2020, 8:02:03, Wherearewegoingto said:

Plans to move House of Lords to York or Birmingham.  How about moving no. 10 to... ?

Anyone?

Long story short. The Palace of Westminster is set to be renovated. Both Houses need to vacate for essential renovations. Preferably, they should be relocated in the same building/location to avoid expensive fucking around as the two Houses do daily business together. 

Moving one to York and the other to where-fucking-ever is an expensive brainfart for the taxpayer. 

Ridiculous notion. 

On 1/22/2020, 11:24:26, Wherearewegoingto said:

Is that meant to say that J2, John g. And HF99 are the same person behind? Because right of the top of my head I remember  all of them were dubbed being alchies recently. 

What if I am literally everyone on this forum, Wherearewegointo and it is all a big mind experiment on you??? 

Like you are that bloke in The Truman show? 

Mu-haha-haha-haha! 

:lol:

Haha!

Love it! 

You guys have ran out of memes and are now posting bilge from Have I Got News for You!  

On 1/16/2020, 9:52:45, Wulfrun said:

5e20cd149e605_thatdamnedclock.jpg.35dad7

12 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

82596937_1350797615104678_70268890482999

Pffffft! :lol:

10 hours ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

Checking out of a hotel but still wanting to use the rooms and amenities and breakfast only for free.

What's your take on this story in the Guardian? 

UK must get post-Brexit 'defence privileges', says German minister

EU does not want to lose British military firepower

The European Union should offer Britain “privileged third-party status” in defence and foreign policy cooperation after Brexit, the German defence minister, Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer, has said in a speech in London.

She said that such status should include access to projects such as Future Combat Air System, the Franco-German stealth jet programme.

Her remarks – following a meeting in London with the UK defence minister, Ben Wallace – underline how determined the major European powers are to ensure that they do not lose the UK’s defence assets after Brexit.

Her remarks are not only significant because she is German defence minister, but because she has been chosen as chair of the CDU, and the party’s preferred choice to succeed Angela Merkel as chancellor.

Looks like they would like the UK to have a small bungalow and pop in for tea and biscuits every now and then, or? 

12 minutes ago, hellfire99 said:

Long story short. The Palace of Westminster is set to be renovated. Both Houses need to vacate for essential renovations. Preferably, they should be relocated in the same building/location to avoid expensive fucking around as the two Houses do daily business together. 

Moving one to York and the other to where-fucking-ever is an expensive brainfart for the taxpayer. 

Ridiculous notion. 

Bits moving to York etc. Sounds like the moans about EU  politicos  and Brussels and Strasbourg moving around! Put all the politicians under one roof and hope for an Act of God!

:angry::D

2 minutes ago, john g. said:

Bits moving to York etc. Sounds like the moans about EU  politicos  and Brussels and Strasbourg moving around! Put all the politicians under one roof and hope for an Act of God!

EU parliament’s €114m-a-year move to Strasbourg ‘a waste of money’, but will it ever be scrapped?

It's easy to piss money up against the wall when it's not your money, John! 

Disgraceful, but the French insisted on it! 

On 1/22/2020, 7:14:09, El Jeffo said:

5e27e82d7b6be_plz-stop-post1.jpg.e625792

12 hours ago, AlexTr said:

Funny? Well, I think my dog is gorgeous and other people find his looks terrifying. I guess it's in the eye of the beholder.

@AlexTr @El Jeffo

3msoig.jpg.004cc38fff97cd66287578e4b9451

Hahahahahaaaaaaaa! 

6 minutes ago, hellfire99 said:

Yeah, the French have always had a stick up their collective arse, John! 

Plus ca change, plus c`est la meme chose..as we say in English..

(But I can´t do the accents on my Greek Tastadur! )

:rolleyes:

22 minutes ago, john g. said:

Plus ca change, plus c`est la meme chose..as we say in English..

(But I can´t do the accents on my Greek Tastadur! )

:rolleyes:

J'ai une baguette dans le cul.

As the French say. 

On 1/22/2020, 11:24:26, Wherearewegoingto said:

Is that meant to say that J2, John g. And HF99 are the same person behind? 

1 hour ago, hellfire99 said:

What if I am literally everyone on this forum, Wherearewegointo and it is all a big mind experiment on you??? 

Like you are that bloke in The Truman show? 

Mu-haha-haha-haha! :lol:

Booong! You rang?

1 hour ago, john g. said:

Plans for Lords

Its got nowth to do with the renovation or  some EU Parlament moans

Just on of Boris specials.

3 minutes ago, Wherearewegoingto said:

Plans for Lords

Its got nowth to do with the renovation or  some EU Parlament moans

Just on of Boris specials.

Firstly, learn to write, dingbat! 

Secondly, switch on! 

MPs set to leave Houses of Parliament for £3.5bn restoration  (The Guardian - so it must be true and written in stone tablets from God) 

Parliament is expected to relocate away from its historic site at the Palace of Westminster in the next decade after MPs decided that the risk of a major fire was so great that a total refurbishment costing at least £3.5bn was necessary.

MPs voted by 236 to 220 to support an amendment that saw Conservative and Labour members come together to support a full programme of works that is likely to result in the Commons relocating to a venue in Whitehall from the middle of the next decade.

They backed an amendment from the Labour MP Meg Hillier and rejected two motions in the name of leader of the Commons, Andrea Leadsom. Neither of those motions would have committed MPs and peers to moving off site.

It would be the first time either house had moved out of the Victorian-era palace since the Commons chamber was destroyed by a bomb in 1941. Under the plan, the Commons and Lords would move off site in 2025 for an estimated six years.

They have to move for the refurbishments.

And Mr. Cleverly is using this as an opportunity to talk rubbish.