Brexit: The fallout

11,155 posts in this topic

The UK passport drops to its lowest rank since The Henley Passport Index began

The power of the UK passport has dropped to its lowest position in world rankings since The Henley Passport Index began in 2006.

Coming in at a joint eighth place, alongside the US, Belgium, Greece and Norway, the UK passport was previously ranked as the world’s most powerful in 2010, 2013, 2014 and 2015. But it began to slide post-Brexit, to third in 2016, fourth in 2017, fifth in 2018 and sixth in 2019.

Prior to 2020, the lowest the UK passport had sat on the rankings was at sixth in 2008 and 2009.

Japan was listed as the world’s most powerful passport with visa-free access to 191 countries – comparatively the UK passport can access 184 countries visa-free.

On 1/13/2020, 5:50:54, Keleth said:

If this is true then you just have to laugh.

https://costofbrexit.netlify.com/

Even if it`s not the Daily Mail headline generator is fun and sadly you could actually imagine them printing them.

The daily mail headline generator is fun.  Some of my favourites:

• Extremist Iman Rapes Policeman
  • Extremist Single Mother Sets Alight Diana
  • Lefty Tax Man Murders Hero Fireman
  • Junkie Muslim Murders Tax Payer

Brexit Party MEPs protest having their desks cleared - and their flags taken away

Nigel Farage's Brexit Party claimed that they wanted to lose their jobs when they turned up at the European Parliament in June 2019.

But now they are planning to leave for the last time they are protesting about having their desks cleared... because they have removed their union flags from the table.

There has been a storm brewing on social media all week after the flags were removed when Farage tweeted: "We have just had our Union Jack flags removed from our desks in the European Parliament, by order of the president. Thank God we are leaving." Today it spiralled into the chamber when Italian MEP Marco Zanni complained about officials "breaking the rules" by removing the flags, reportedly an order by the parliament's president.

It sparked the Brexit Party group chair Brian Monteith to call for a "point of order" - only to be told they would have to put away the flags from their desks to be heard.

She was applauded by fellow MEPs, but a small delegation of Brexiteers banged their tables and continued to shout "let him speak" while waving their flags.

On 1/8/2020, 1:46:47, Wulfrun said:

Hahaha!  What sensationalist claptrap.  Please don't tell me that anyone who has read this article gives any credence to it. Because if you do, you are certainly lower in my estimations than you are ready are. And that's fucking pushing it! 

Are we to believe that a trade deal, erm.... sorry, a flurry of trade deals are contingent on visa free access? Oh, what's that, the trade deal is off because you won't agree visa free blahdy blah.  Haha, it is laughable. I know you guys are still sore about being on the losing side but come on, don't make yourselves look like total idiots, too. 

In summary, the article is horseshit. 

On 1/8/2020, 9:44:53, dom said:

Senior Johnson aide says UK will forge a “special relationship” with far-right Hungarian regime

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/senior-johnson-aide-says-uk-will-forge-a-special-relationship-with-far-right-hungarian-regime/07/01/

and why not??

So you are advocating isolation, Dom?  The UK should have nothing to do with the Hungarian regime?  Should the EU have nothing to do with them as well? 

Again, the article you have posted is total diarrhoea.

But at least you are consistent!  :lol:

On 7.1.2020, 10:14:12, dom said:

Look forward to the somewhat more balanced discussion!!

to be fair, I am fairly sure he wasn't meaning in terms of individuals and their intelligent and insightful posts, more that without you, we were essentially a bunch of on-balance-remainers grumbling in an echo chamber, and with your reappearance, the Brexiteer again has a personal face on TT.

17 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

5e20cd149e605_thatdamnedclock.jpg.35dad7

I'm definitely donating money to this. Just because i think it is funny! I'm also pleased that it is not coming from taxation or I would be steadfastly against it. 

And I know you are stuck in the past Wulfrun, but there is a thing called television now. So people will hear it and rejoice. 

I mean, you can't hear Jeremy Corbyn when he's in Parliament can you, but the telly magics him into your nursing home, eh!   

Shit meme. Please try better. 

7 minutes ago, kiplette said:

to be fair, I am fairly sure he wasn't meaning in terms of individuals and their intelligent and insightful posts, more that without you, we were essentially a bunch of on-balance-remainers grumbling in an echo chamber, and with your reappearance, the Brexiteer again has a personal face on TT.

Have you seen anything intelligent or insightful on this thread, Kiplette? 

Most of the things posted here are total rubbish and don't pass muster! 

I mean apart from my posts. :lol: