Brexit: The fallout

11,583 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, balticus said:

Considering that Labour got slaughtered in the recent election, it's surprising that people who fail to fall in to the Labour-good/Tories-bad binary formation are still pariahs on this board. 

But you need to look at the people who defend the right be it in the UK or the US.

Lot`s of intolerance on the left too but it is nowhere near the level it is on the right.

I don't vote in the UK or the US, but tend to think that the utter hysteria expressed towards the center-right governments there is not justified.

I`d say the Trump govt is more to the right now than centre right as for Johnsons we will see.

Keep making excuses for the "left" even when it is obvious to anyone who cares to look that they are owned by Wall Street. 

Cross out "left" and put "politicians" and you`d be right or are you saying it`s only the left that is owned by Wall Street/Business ?

For all the bad stuff said about the current AG in the US, it is pretty amazing that people have forgotten that Obama AG, Eric Holder described himself as "the President's Wingman".

I said right at the start of the old Trump thread that one of the things with Trump winning is that people will think Obama was a wonderful President.He was just less bad.

This is the same with Labour and the Torys I`ve always voted Labour because with politics you always have to pick the least worst .Only extremists on both sides think that once their party gets voted in it will be all sweetness and light and we`ll be living in candyland with roaming unicorns etc.

A former Wall Street lawyer failed to prosecute entities which were his former clients once he became AG.    

Iceland showed the way to go about it.

Trumpgovernmentschlamasselschmerz

This word says it all I was told.

A Schmerz it is, but for whom? and why?

Never mind, it was the best to be found in the good ol USA.

37 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Now I remember why I took a break from here.

You will be back in the first work week of January.   There is a huge demand for your end of the world, everything is going to hell point of view.    

Neither POTUS nor the PM can or could prosecute anyone nor make laws to make something which has/had already happened illegal. It's a basic tenet of a democracy.

The POTUS appoints an Attorney General who has a lot of influence on what is prosecuted.   They did not need to pass new laws, but rather enforce existing laws.  

Here is a nice list of explanations that the Obamadmin chose not to prosecute - not from right wing blogs, but rather from The Guardian, the NYT, Huffpo, etc.   

https://www.google.ru/search?newwindow=1&source=hp&ei=oRILXoG9DIXTwQKXxrqACw&q=obama+no+prosecution+financial+crisis&oq=obama+no+prosecution+financial+crisis&gs_l=psy-ab.3...2216.11466..11726...1.0..0.283.2831.38j0j1...0...1..gws-wiz....0..0j0i131j0i19j0i22i30i19j0i22i30j33i160j33i22i29i30.Lv0Bq-Ue4KE&ved=0ahUKEwjBkZGox9_mAhWFaVAKHRejDrAQ4dUDCAc&uact=5

And with that, I will leave you to it. On the 31st the UK becomes a third country. Nothing much will change overnight for ordinary people as the deal guarantees a freezing of current conditions until year end. Then we'll see for real what Brexit means in practice. Good luck to any Brits that didn't vote for it.

You will be back and i am sure that you will blame Brexit for anything bad that happens between now and forever.   

Happy new year and see you soon.  

47 minutes ago, Keleth said:

But you need to look at the people who defend the right be it in the UK or the US.

I don't think Johnson and Trump are significantly worse than previous leaders.   That fails to meet the standard of hysteria required by most of the people on this forum.  

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

I`d say the Trump govt is more to the right now than centre right as for Johnsons we will see.

Trump is an 80s democrat (think Bill Clinton).  By UK standards thats far right, but by US standards its center left.

On 12/27/2019, 6:49:01, Kommentarlos said:

Lend their vote?     Rather they sold their paltry populist souls to the highest bidder. They will learn soon enough not to peck the hand that feeds them. 

Looks like them Northern Turkeys are getting a pay rise. That'll learn em!

National living wage to rise by 6.2% in April

The national living wage is to rise by 6.2% in what the government says is "the biggest cash increase ever".

The rise is more than four times the rate of inflation and takes hourly pay for people over 25 to £8.72 from April.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said: "For too long, people haven't seen the pay rises they deserve."

My idol, Boris, making Britain Great again! 

You see what I did there! 

21 hours ago, Keleth said:

...Torys...

...Torys...

...Torys...

...Torys...

...Torys...

...Torys...  

...Torys... 

Tories bad, Labour good. 

7 hours ago, snowingagain said:

Definition. The Oxford Dictionary of Law defines ...

7 hours ago, katheliz said:

“'Retrospective' has to do with ...

Nice work girls, now hit Keleth with your dictionary!! 

Tories. 

16 hours ago, French bean said:

For a non Brit you have a lot of interest in British politics and I notice you now don't say your nationality on your profile. So really it does look like you're just here to stoke the fires and breed discourse.

So what is the latest in Lithuania?

<snigger

8 hours ago, gaberlunzi said:

hash browns or fried? Do you know how many ways the lowly potato(erdapfel for you Bavarians) can be prepared for consumption?

Did you know the Kartoffel (for you Krauts) was introduced to Germany by the King of Prussia.

The French were told to eat cake, the Germans were forced to eat them potatoes.

My favorite is Potato puree with butter browned bread crums.

Hey, Mr. Gabbermnn. If you ever make it to Hamburg check out the Kartoffel Keller.

Everything is made of potatoes. 

Even the staff. 

Maybe @murphaph would like to start a new thread with some of his favorite potatoes recipes! 

2 hours ago, Keleth said:

I said right at the start of the old Trump thread that one of the things with Trump winning is that people will think Obama was a wonderful President. He was just less bad orange. 

Obama was awesome cos he was black. 

9 hours ago, katheliz said:

Apparently the two words, retrospective and retroactive, are frequently interchanged in Britain, according to Brians' book, above.

Yes, but in the UK (and Ireland) this is not an incorrect usage esp regarding law.

Retrospective and retroactive are used synonymously in much of the former British Empire including Ireland and the billion or so people in India so it's good enough for me.

2 hours ago, hellfire99 said:

Looks like them Northern Turkeys are getting a pay rise. That'll learn em!

National living wage to rise by 6.2% in April

As I pointed out yesterday introduction of the minimum wage by a Labour Government was a good thing and I'm pleased that there is a large increase. However BoJo still has to balance the books and such an increase is going to be a hit on a number of SME's so I just hope it doesn't end up costing more in the long run through the government having to fund it or employers employing less people. At last there will be a second very positive outcome and that is it might reduce the amount being paid out in Family Tax Credits as potentially these will be offset by higher wages. Governments should not be subsidising businesses by giving hand outs to workers in companies that rely on low wage employees to make a profit.

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

Retrospective and retroactive are used synonymously in much of the former British Empire including Ireland and the billion or so people in India so it's good enough for me.

I am not sure most native speakers are aware of the difference anywhere - let alone in India! Good enough for me as well!

Retro wallpaper is another issue!

:rolleyes:

it won't matter, president or PM, right or left, minimum wage hikes are pushers  for a wanted/needed inflation for the finance industry.

wage increase 6.2%, pension increase 2%, 2%investment income for the average Joe, 10% inflation and we all can figure out if we are willing to think about it where this leads to. You can only take out of the barrel as long as something gets put in. It matters not which country ,title or position is in the say so.One thing is certain, you and me  are being screwed!

Brexit won't do much harm to the finance industry of the City. They moved their operation over to Frankfurt years ago.

Welcome back HF99!! :D

Where the "hell" have you been all this time? I've been away from the thread for just 2 weeks and come back to your explosion of posts...like you've abstained from masturbating for the whole time you were away and shot your enormous load for Christmas!! :lol:

Look forward to the somewhat more balanced discussion!!

First blow for post-Brexit Britain as Australia rejects trade deal

Hopes of a flurry of post-Brexit trade deals were dashed this week after the Australian government rejected a UK offer that included visa-free work and travel between the two countries.

Trade minister Simon Birmingham said full free movement would not be accepted because it could cause an exodus of highly trained workers to the UK and an influx of unskilled British workers to Sydney and Melbourne.

Last year, ministers in New Zealand voiced similar fears of a brain drain.

@Wulfrun

Let's think about that.. A former penal colony is worried we may move down there.

They look at us like some Brits look at east europeans...

How the world changes.