Brexit: The fallout

14,101 posts in this topic

On 12/24/2019, 1:40:09, jeba said:

Yes, it does. The money from selling the Norwegian oil and gas at least which is now invested outside the fossil fuel realm. Is it just me who can´t help but think there is a tiny bit of hypocrisy to it?

And British Rail,Royal Mail,British Steel,BP,Coal,Powergen,Electricity,BA and probably some I missed ?

On 12/22/2019, 7:45:46, SpiderPig said:

So, Thather sold off all the UKs decent assets to fund the sinking ship...

The EU floated that ship again...

Now Corby and the British Gov have started to try and sink it again!!

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50874181?fbclid=IwAR2wdTwY0WL3BdulIPDL9CuPJiTRQj7mVlK8d-w3_uyhghdpbwh0Oz802tg

On 12/23/2019, 2:58:46, Keleth said:

They didn`t sell it to just a US firm though they sold it to a fucking equity firm.

Just need to wait until the asset stripping starts.

My dad used to say about privatisation is that it is like living in your house and you`re a bit short of cash so you sell the spare TV,the next month you live well because you`ve got all that extra cash from the TV however the month after you sell the couch and so on and so on until you end up with an empty house and then end up having to sell that too.

You do realize that this is not privatisation, don't you? 

private.JPG.2885a6399d9bbcec25c17f8724ef

Cobham PLC is just that.  A PLC. The shareholders voted to accept the offer from Advent International.  So the government didn't sell it to anyone because it didn't belong to the government in the first place. 

What did the government do, then? 

After shareholders approved the deal the government intervened, citing national security concerns. Having taken advice and obtaining legally binding commitments, the Business Secretary has allowed the deal to go through, as the national security concerns have been mitigated to an acceptable level. 

Government update on the proposed acquisition of Cobham PLC by Advent International

Whether or not is is a good idea is a different question entirely. 

But let's not start wetting our collective knickers over incorrect information posted here. 

At first it was President Juncker's "out is out", ramblings. 

Juncker in 'out is out' warning to UK

The UK will not be able to return to the negotiating table if it votes to leave the European Union, one of the EU's top officials has said.

Speaking on the eve of the referendum, European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker said the outcome would be final and "out is out".

Now, Frans Timmermans, who as we all know, unsuccessfully threw his beret into the ring for the role of President of the European Commission has written a creepy love letter to Britain. :wub:

My love letter to Britain: family ties can never really be severed   

I know you now. And I love you. For who you are and what you gave me. I’m like an old lover. I know your strengths and weaknesses. I know you can be generous but also miserly. I know you believe yourself to be unique and different. And of course you are in many ways, but perhaps less than you think. You will never stop referring to the rest of us as “the continent”. It helps you to create the distance you think you need. But it also prevents you from seeing that we all need a bit of distance between us. All European nations are unique. Our differences are a source of admiration, surprise, discomfort, misunderstanding, ridicule, caricature and, yes, love.

In the best of times these differences make us the most creative, productive, peaceful and prosperous of families. In the worst of times our differences are manipulated to instil fear, to propagate superiority, to set one family member against the other. Things then quickly get out of hand. We all are also very, very good at that. That is our legacy. That too is who we are. And as a family we have a duty to promote the best of times and keep the worst of times at bay. So far, for all its faults, the EU has been the most successful tool to achieve that goal.

You have decided to leave. It breaks my heart, but I respect that decision. You were in two minds about it, like you have always been in two minds about the EU. I wish you had stuck to that attitude, it served you well and it kept all of us in better shape. Was it necessary to force the issue? Not at all. But you did. And the sad thing is, I see it is hurting you. Because the two minds will still be there, even after you have left. In the process so much unnecessary damage has been done to you, and all of us. And I fear more will follow.

Truth be told, I felt deeply hurt when you decided to leave. Three years later I am just sad that a member of our family wants to sever our ties. But at the same time I find comfort in the thought that family ties can never really be severed. We’re not going away and you will always be welcome to come back.

In a divorce, there is always one partner who just can't accept that it is over. This "love letter" is nothing more than the bitter ramblings of a jilted lover who seems to be saying, "Mark my words, you'll never amount to anything without me". 

Timmermans is the archetypal abusive partner.  I fear that Britain is going to have to take out a restraining order against these EU fools, lest they stalk us ad infinitum! 

I mean what next! 

Ursula von der Leyen offering blow jobs if we stay! 

Minx.JPG.325a2d01e5446ff1565cf27024ab023

Now that is a dilemma! :lol:

I normally don't like these kind of things but this is rather funny. 

And even funnier is the top comment on youtube. 

"This should be our Eurovision entry". 

:lol:

1 minute ago, SpiderPig said:

why dont you fuck off back to where you came from... and take Balt and J² with ya

Flattery will get you nowhere, mate.  :lol:

On 12/13/2019, 7:19:37, Kommentarlos said:

I see the Northern Turkeys have voted for Xmas.

I look forward to seeing the press coverage of Rees-Mogg driving them down to London by foot with a big stick to the slaughter.

On 12/23/2019, 2:50:28, Keleth said:

You guys aren't gonna like this!  

Treasury to rip up public spending rules in cash boost for north and Midlands

The Treasury is planning to rip up decades-old public spending rules in an effort to boost economic wellbeing in the north and the Midlands.

Under proposals being drawn up before the spring budget, ministers will reassess how officials calculate the value for money of government investments in transport infrastructure, business development and initiatives such as free ports.

Investment decisions would be less focused on overall national economic growth and, for the first time, Whitehall resources would be allocated on the basis of improving the wellbeing of people in the north, or narrowing the productivity gap with the south.

The change is seen as key to fulfilling Boris Johnson’s election pledge to unlock an investment bonanza in communities that voted Conservative at the election for the first time.

Mr Johnson’s chief adviser, Dominic Cummings, has criticised Treasury rules for favouring rich areas of London and the southeast. Under the department’s existing value for money criteria an investment has to be shown to maximise economic return in terms of a measurement known as gross value added (GVA). The criteria, set out in the Treasury’s Green Book, affect everything from transport infrastructure projects to the promotion of scientific research and development.

Looks like them Northern Turkeys were right to lend the Conservatives their vote!  

1 hour ago, hellfire99 said:

Looks like them Northern Turkeys were right to lend the Conservatives their vote!  

That you`re a Brexit supporter I can understand but that you`re a fucking Tory makes me vomit.

This same party that has killed god knows how many industries,has pissed away the money made from killing those industries by spending it on tax breaks,been responsible for the rise of food banks,who says people use food banks because they can't manage their finances,have brought the NHS to it`s lowest peak ever,who promoted austerity even while people were suffering (sometimes dying) because of it while they kept their snouts in the trough,the same party whose leader is a racist (or at least someone who doesn't think there's anything wrong in making racist remarks),the same party who put forward the referendum for Brexit while having absolutely no fucking clue what to do afterwards leading to 3 years where fuck all got done because of the persistent arguing over Brexit,family credit and the list could go on and on.

Hope you feel proud to share in the misery the Tories have forced on the UK over the years.

5 minutes ago, Keleth said:

That you`re a Brexit supporter I can understand but that you`re a fucking Tory makes me vomit.

This same party that has killed god knows how many industries,has pissed away the money made from killing those industries by spending it on tax breaks,been responsible for the rise of food banks,who says people use food banks because they can't manage their finances,have brought the NHS to it`s lowest peak ever,who promoted austerity even while people were suffering (sometimes dying) because of it while they kept their snouts in the trough,the same party whose leader is a racist (or at least someone who doesn't think there's anything wrong in making racist remarks),the same party who put forward the referendum for Brexit while having absolutely no fucking clue what to do afterwards leading to 3 years where fuck all got done because of the persistent arguing over Brexit,family credit and the list could go on and on.

Hope you feel proud to share in the misery the Tories have forced on the UK over the years.

Where the fuck is the 100000 greens button when you need it?

39 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Sold to the Lowest Common Denominator on the Stock Exchange to a Chinese investor with the rest of the national kitchen sink!

:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, hellfire99 said:

Lend their vote?

Rather they sold their paltry populist souls to the highest bidder.

They will learn soon enough not to peck the hand that feeds them. 

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

the same party whose leader is a racist

You are thinking of labour, but he will be out soon.

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

Leave it out, current Tory policies wouldnt have been out of place in the labour party pre Corbyn.  In many ways we have a reversal of Nu Labour where Blair turned the Labour party into a Tory clone, we now have red conservatism with Boris following center left policies. 

37 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

Rather they sold their paltry populist souls to the highest bidder.

No they didnt.  They voted for Brexit and were let down by "their party" who had abandoned them for the Islington set and voted for the only party that listened to them.

1 hour ago, zwiebelfisch said:

No they didnt.  They voted for Brexit and were let down by "their party" who had abandoned them for the Islington set and voted for the only party that listened to them.

I agree with you entirely - except they voted for the personality of Boris Johnson not the Conservative party. Boris Johnson is only listening to Boris Johnson (edit: and little Boris Johnson). I hope that they have nice new sheds built for them for their trouble for them to repent at leisure.

The EU will have nothing more to do with them. They have sold their Labour comrades out. The nasty party is not the BoJo puppethead they voted for. They should have asked who is pulling the strings. 

6 hours ago, Kommentarlos said:

Interesting. Let's see who will end up paying for the Turkey feed. :D

I'm not even sure what that means. Seems to be a non sequitur. Could you please clarify what you mean with Turkey feed

The article that I linked is from The Times and not everyone pays to see the content, so here is the full article on a different website. 

The government is planning to rip up decades-old public spending rules in an effort to boost economic wellbeing in the north and the Midlands.

Investment decisions would be less focused on overall national economic growth and, for the first time, Whitehall resources would be allocated on the basis of improving the wellbeing of people in the north, or narrowing the productivity gap with the south.

The change is seen as key to fulfilling Boris Johnson’s election pledge to unlock an investment bonanza in communities that voted Conservative at the election for the first time.

Mr Johnson’s chief adviser, Dominic Cummings, has criticised Treasury rules for favouring rich areas of London and the southeast. Under the department’s existing value for money criteria an investment has to be shown to maximise economic return in terms of a measurement known as gross value added (GVA). The criteria, set out in the Treasury’s Green Book, affect everything from transport infrastructure projects to the promotion of scientific research and development.

Last year a paper by academics at Cambridge and Manchester universities argued that the policy had contributed to a disparity between the least and most productive regions that was “extreme” by the standards of most developed countries.

A change in methodology could affect, for example, where the government opens free ports, tax-free zones intended to encourage economic activity after Brexit. When Mr Cummings was told by officials that plans for free ports in deprived coastal communities would simply divert businesses from other areas he is understood to have said that that was his intention.

As the article states, the government would like to improve the wellbeing of the people in the north or Northern Turkeys as you call them. By the way, your prejudices are just that, your prejudices. (Maybe you can start a thread about how Darkies are like this and Homos are like that, and XYZ are just total bastards). 

Anyways, the government seem to want to fulfill their election pledge to the communities that voted Conservative for the first time. 

Cynicism is healthy but what exactly is your problem with them Northern Turkeys and the government's proposal?

I already know your answer but for entertainment's sake, please elucidate.  

5 hours ago, Keleth said:

Let me guess, this is all to do with Thatcher! 

Thatcher is dust mate and it is time for you to move on an use your noggin. Politics and the world has changed.

Maybe your mantra is, " My family always voted XYZ and therefore I always vote XYZ".   I hope not because that would be a very foolish thing to do. Simply voting as you have always done is rather foolish, would you not agree? 

6 hours ago, Keleth said:

Now that is quite a rant. You have simply let your emotions run wild. It is all show and no substance. I could probably write a book in response to it! But I can't be arsed.  So just briefly a few things to consider. 

Which industries did they kill that wouldn't have been killed off by the rise of cheap foreign goods, labour, globalisation, etc?  Are you sore that you don't have the opportunity to go down the pit?  Are you sore for the UK's fishing industry, too? 

The NHS political football. Changing demographics, i.e. an aging and ever increasing population. Increases in medical costs, the PFI debacle, countless fuck ups by successive governments of all colors.  What is the silver bullet to fix the NHS, Keleth?

Austerity. Please educate yourself on the 2008 financial crisis and also see Liam Byrne's letter to the incoming Conservative government where he said,  ‘I’m afraid there is no money.’ 

Racism?  Can you give me an example of the racist remarks?  Was it the muslim postbox remark? 

As for Brexit, Cameron called a referendum but forbade the Civil Service from making any contingency plans. So when the shock result came through, nothing had even been thought about. The last three years has simply been a battle for democracy and the people have won a great victory. And let's not forget that those opposed to Brexit who have tried in every way imaginable to block the will of the people and slowed Brexit down. 

Like I say, have a rant but please educate yourself about how the world works. It's not as simple as you think. 

5 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

What difference would it make if you could give him 100000 green points? 

I guess it would make you feel better, oder?

How bizarre! :lol:

4 hours ago, Kommentarlos said:

Lend their vote?      Rather they sold their paltry populist souls to the highest bidder.   They will learn soon enough not to peck the hand that feeds them. 

Very good!  You came back and wrote more after deliberating the issue. I hope you weren't simply egged on by the other imbeciles on this thread but I think you were.  

There is nothing of any substance in your post. All we see is your hope that the Conservatives shit on them Northern Turkeys. 

Am I right or am I right! 

:D

3 hours ago, hellfire99 said:

Am I right or am I right! 

No.

The focus should be on long term regional innovation, investment and wealth generation not short term wealth redistribution  (as aknowledged by Mr Cummings above) that can simply be taken away again as quickly as it is offered. 

At the moment I am mainly seeing gimmicks.  Which sadly makes the situation ripe for politcal satire and little else.  

11 hours ago, zwiebelfisch said:

You are thinking of labour, but he will be out soon.

You`ll get absolutely no argument from me that Corbyn is an anti semite,that doesn`t make Jonson not a racist,sexist homophobe  though.

Leave it out, current Tory policies wouldnt have been out of place in the labour party pre Corbyn.  In many ways we have a reversal of Nu Labour where Blair turned the Labour party into a Tory clone, we now have red conservatism with Boris following center left policies.

Big difference between policies and the actual enactment of those policies isn`t there ?

Or do we all of a sudden believe policies that parties announce to win votes ?

The massive swing to the Torys is not only Brexit a lot of it is because of Corbyn and his momentum cult.Many of Labours policies were just pipe dreams.

5 hours ago, hellfire99 said:

Let me guess, this is all to do with Thatcher! 

Thatcher,Cameron,May and the rest of them yes.

Thatcher is dust mate and it is time for you to move on an use your noggin. Politics and the world has changed.

Please then show me the difference between the Torys now and the Torys under Thatcher ?

I mean what they`ve delivered not what they promise because until we see them enacted give me 1 good reason why we should believe them.

The old saying is that a leopard doesn`t change its spots.

Are you sore that you don't have the opportunity to go down the pit?  Are you sore for the UK's fishing industry, too? 

Quite funny that you mention fishing as isn`t this one of the big pluses of Brexit or don`t you really care about them ?

Yep no more coal but the UK now imports 36% of it`s energy.Maybe if they`d invested all the privatisation money in renewable fuel research and production they`d be a world leader in it. 

Maybe your mantra is, " My family always voted XYZ and therefore I always vote XYZ".

I have always voted Labour although I haven`t voted in 20 years since I`ve been over here.

There is no way I would have voted Labour this time though,I probably would have ended up voting for the local candidate who would do more for the area or the Monster party or somesuch.

That is the problem with the FPTP system.

Racism?  Can you give me an example of the racist remarks?  Was it the muslim postbox remark? 

Actually that one I didn`t find racist more just a silly remark.Let`s face it many religions devout followers look ridiculous to me.

"water melon smiles" etc springs to mind as racist.

Oh let`s not forget the many sexist and homophobic remarks too.

Oh and the anti Islam ones as well.

As for Brexit, Cameron called a referendum but forbade the Civil Service from making any contingency plans. So when the shock result came through, nothing had even been thought about.

Oh sorry I assumed that because Cameron was a Conservative that the blame could actually be laid at the Conservatives door for that.

June 2016 was the referendum and in March 2017 they invoked Article 50.

In those 9 months they came up with absolutely no coherent plan they merely rode the wave that people had voted for Brexit and they wanted some of that popularity to rub off on them.

Why the fuck Invoke if you have absolutely no clue what to do after you invoke ?

And let's not forget that those opposed to Brexit who have tried in every way imaginable to block the will of the people and slowed Brexit down.

Why am I not surprised to hear that rallying cry pop up.

Brexit was not the will of the people it was the will of just over 34% of eligible voters.

PFI debacle

Oh and which party introduced that.

What is the silver bullet to fix the NHS, Keleth?

I`ve never claimed to know that.However it seems obvious the Torys don`t either and unlike me it is their job to know it.

please educate yourself about how the world works

Yep hopefully I`ll meet you in the class I will take as you need to as well.

By the way, your prejudices are just that, your prejudices. (Maybe you can start a thread about how Darkies are like this and Homos are like that, and XYZ are just total bastards). 

What about you holding your idol responsible for his words on those subjects too ?

Let`s not be hypocritical eh.

Anyways, the government seem to want to fulfill their election pledge to the communities that voted Conservative for the first time. 

Let`s wait and see on that and hope it`s not just a throw the dog a bone scenario.

Nice to see like all parties the Torys still believe in giving honours to their devotees and people who keep quiet for them.

IDS the man who invented Universal Credit and Alison Saunders the woman responsible for wrecking many lives.