Brexit: The fallout

12,639 posts in this topic

Cracker joke

Who wraps the little bits of bacon around the tiny sausages?
It’s the pigs trying to put themselves back together again.

3 hours ago, Lorelei said:

It seems to me that they need a pragmatist and a realist who is a high calibre politician without negative baggage and with enough charisma to be a match for Boris.

If such a person existed, wouldn't s/he be PM?

12 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Does such a person in power actually exist? as for high calibre politician, not seen one of those for at least 10 years. As for charisma, these life coaches or rather Bullshit coaches tend to remove any form of individuality in case it does more damage. The most charismatic but not necessarily charming are people like Alan Clarke, John Prescott (OK, he was a bit of a thug as well), Michael Heseltine, Tony Benn and maybe Tony Blair. Who in the present bunch can be included in that list.

48 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Oddly enough, no. Because for modern labour it isnt about winning. It's about having "the right" opinions.

For what it´s worth, my favourite post of the day is shared between French Bean´s and zwiebelfisch´s above.

I would once have liked Robin Cook to be PM but, as he once said. mocking himself: " I´m too ugly."

:huh:

People tend to like charisma, whether positive or negative...I reckon Boris got a lot of votes in preference to Corbyn because of that with Corbyn always carrying a kind of sad martyr´s look about him.

PS: I know people vote for constituency candidates but - in the end - it´s the leaders of the parties people think most about in general.

Exclusive: The Brits who won't Brexit

The Conservative Party won another term in office last week after an election campaign that was dominated by Brexit. Johnson called the election to try to gain a majority in Parliament to push through his plan to take Britain out of the EU early next year.

That some Brits who made a career out of assessing risk have applied for second passports may suggest sagging confidence in Britain’s economy after it leaves the EU. A broker who makes his living handling such passports says he’s seen a surge of enquiries from Brits looking for ways to keep their European Union citizenship.

(Reuters) - British Prime Minister Boris Johnson won a thumping election victory last week on a campaign to “get Brexit done,” but not before some wealthy donors to his Conservative Party quietly took steps to stay inside the European Union.

Cyprus government documents seen by Reuters show that Conservative Party donors have sought citizenship of the island, an EU member state, since Britain voted to leave the bloc in 2016.

They include billionaire Alan Howard, one of Britain’s best-known hedge fund managers, and Jeremy Isaacs, the former head of Lehman Brothers for Europe, the Middle East and Asia. Cyprus’ interior ministry recommended that both men’s applications be approved, the government documents show.

39 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

So, Thather sold off all the UKs decent assets to fund the sinking ship...

The EU floated that ship again...

Now Corby and the British Gov have started to try and sink it again!!

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50874181?fbclid=IwAR2wdTwY0WL3BdulIPDL9CuPJiTRQj7mVlK8d-w3_uyhghdpbwh0Oz802tg

And announced at 10pm on what is the last working day for most before the xmas break.

Welcome to the new world order.

On 12/22/2019, 8:45:46, SpiderPig said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50874181?fbclid=IwAR2wdTwY0WL3BdulIPDL9CuPJiTRQj7mVlK8d-w3_uyhghdpbwh0Oz802tg

They didn`t sell it to just a US firm though they sold it to a fucking equity firm.

Just need to wait until the asset stripping starts.

My dad used to say about privatisation is that it is like living in your house and you`re a bit short of cash so you sell the spare TV,the next month you live well because you`ve got all that extra cash from the TV however the month after you sell the couch and so on and so on until you end up with an empty house and then end up having to sell that too.

Anyone here actually know where the money went from selling off Gas,Rail etc etc.Is it still providing an income even after all these years `?

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

Anyone here actually know where the money went from selling off Gas,Rail etc etc.Is it still providing an income even after all these years `?

It went on tax cuts for those who didn't actually need them. Most of that money is now lounging in an offshore account in a Tax haven

21 hours ago, Keleth said:

Yes, it does. The money from selling the Norwegian oil and gas at least which is now invested outside the fossil fuel realm. Is it just me who can´t help but think there is a tiny bit of hypocrisy to it?

On 22/12/2019, 08:45:46, SpiderPig said:

I fail to see what "Corby" has to do with that link... :unsure: