Brexit: The fallout

11,583 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, French bean said:

But who can Labour elect as the new leader that will unify the party and kick out Momentum and the other Dinosaurs?

The first question is whether or not they want to.  I dont believe they do.

European Parliament could block Brexit deal over Boris Johnson's treatment of EU citizens, Guy Verhofstadt says

The European Parliament could block Boris Johnson's Brexit deal over the UK's treatment of EU citizens, its Brexit coordinator has said.

Guy Verhofstadt called for the "remaining problems" with citizens' rights to be solved before consent could be given by the parliament, which is yet to vote on the agreement.

MEPs are worried that problems with the UK's settlement scheme for EU nationals could cause problems and leave some citizens with no immigration status.

"Everyone presumes the European Parliament will give automatically its consent to the Withdrawal Agreement. Not if the remaining problems with the citizens' rights are not solved first," Mr Verhofstadt said on Wednesday. "Citizens can never become the victims of Brexit."

12 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Depends on how much it`s been hijacked by the "loony left" as they used to be called years ago.

Sad thing is they were called the Loony Left because they wanted equality and equal rights etc but they`ve moved so far left of that that they`re past loony.

Momentum is more a cult than anything else.

53 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

But this would surely just mean no deal and leave the EU citizens in the UK not better off?

Its all posturing.  Same as Boris and his "no more extentions law".  Same as it ever was. 

Both sides want a deal, but the thing is, they dont know how to negotiate (find a win win) so instead both sides adopt the most extreme position and hope to meet in the middle somewhere.

33 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Both sides want a deal, but the thing is, they dont know how to negotiate (find a win win) so instead both sides adopt the most extreme position and hope to meet in the middle somewhere.

Standard negotiation tactics

NOT FUNNY! :angry:

The "get Brexit done" government has given Amazon FREE access to NHS records, although tax payers' money is used to gather and sort the information before release.

If this is not selling the NHS, what is?

https://www.bmj.com/content/367/bmj.l6901

43 minutes ago, dom said:

NOT FUNNY! :angry:

The "get Brexit done" government has given Amazon FREE access to NHS records, although tax payers' money is used to gather and sort the information before release.

If this is not selling the NHS, what is?

https://www.bmj.com/content/367/bmj.l6901

Then it was alread sold by blair and brown a decade ago come on you know this is partisan revisionsism bs.

Its no secret that recent uk governemnts, both labour and tory have been collecting medical and dna data and sharing it.  To claim its either or the other in isolation is dishonest in the extreme.

for example http://www.genewatch.org/sub-568491

Here's Tony Blair's speech about Labour's election debacle in full: Labour's Historic Challenge

Meanwhile hats are being thrown into the ring for the leader's position, first off Emily Thornberry. It seems to me that they need a pragmatist and a realist who is a high calibre politician without negative baggage and with enough charisma to be a match for Boris. I don't think any of the names mentioned so far have those qualities.

5 minutes ago, Lorelei said:

I don't think any of the names mentioned so far have those qualities.

22 hours ago, zwiebelfisch said:

The thing is, at the moment the party is held to ransom by regressives in Momentum. Until they go, there is no chance for level heads to prevail, but what is needed is a level head to kick them out. catch 22.

The next leader should probably be someone like Andy Burnham or maybe even Sadiq Khan.  Lets see who the party chooses.

1 hour ago, zwiebelfisch said:

or maybe even Sadiq Khan

give Ken Livingstone a call, while you're at it!

20 minutes ago, French bean said:

Where's David Cameron?

I think they're going to have to wait until after Brexit before fucking them to death becomes a permissible slaughtering method.