Brexit: The fallout

12,329 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

What concessions and why?

The "why" is that failure to play nicely will hurt the German auto industry which is already in trouble.

Merkel may be an unexpected casualty of the Tory landslide.

15 minutes ago, balticus said:

Boris is a doophus who needs a haircut, but he played his hand very well.

Lets be honest, Boris actually played a fairly dismal hand but luckily for him he was standing on a clear policy and his opposition was confused, unable to express a clear policy and is well known to hold pro Brexit views even more strong than boris.  His message was "get it done" while corbyn tried to take brexit out of the equation.

This was an absolute gift to boris who honestly had no right to expect to win.  

I see the Northern Turkeys have voted for Xmas.

I look forward to seeing the press coverage of Rees-Mogg driving them down to London by foot with a big stick to the slaughter.

No excuses for Johnson now. Somehow he has to deliver Brexit without destroying the UK. 

The SNP have a clear mandate for Scottish independence and NI has elected more nationalist MPs than unionist for the first time ever.

I look forward to seeing the impact of Brexit on those North of England constituencies that have dramatically backed the Conservatives. 

The UK must surely be expected to formally leave the EU in January now. The whole trade talks phase then starts but the UK will be a third country.

4 minutes ago, murphaph said:

The UK must surely be expected to formally leave the EU in January now. The whole trade talks phase then starts but the UK will be a third  World country.

FIFY

1 hour ago, balticus said:

Merkel will need to make concessions to Boris or face carmageddon.

Boris is a doophus who needs a haircut, but he played his hand very well.

Why people think the German car industry is bankrupt without the UK market?  To me it seems like UK still thinks they are one key player in the world's economy.    It is not 1800 anymore.

Just now, Krieg said:

Why people think the German car industry is bankrupt without the UK market?  To me it seems like UK still thinks they are one key player in the world's economy.    It is not 1800 anymore.

People are lazy and just go on what they see, every other car in the UK is German, or at least seems it. The biggest hit to the German manufacturers will be the massive drop in leased vehicles during an economic turn down.

1 hour ago, balticus said:

The "why" is that failure to play nicely will hurt the German auto industry which is already in trouble.

So where would the Brits buy their new cars from instead?  

Ford, Vauxhall, Peugeot, Renault etc. are all EU cars.  

And it falls both ways.  The UK car industry exports most of its cars to the EU.  So they would also be hit because they will have problem importing the components and exporting the finished vehicles.

And if the Brits have to pay more for their cars, or have less choice, then they will moan like hell.  "I didn't vote to leave so that I would have to pay more!"

Merkel may be an unexpected casualty of the Tory landslide.

Merkel is leaving anyway and even if she wasn't, this wouldn't impact here.

The EU has always been clear:  We don't want you to go, but respect your decision but you can't have the advantages of being in the EU without contributing to it.  That is an EU policy and all countries have been clear.  It is not Merkel or Macron saying this.

55 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Exactly

9 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Genau!

7 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Why people think the German car industry is bankrupt without the UK market?

Who thinks that and who wrote that?

Not me.

7 minutes ago, Krieg said:

To me it seems like UK still thinks they are one key player in the world's economy.    It is not 1800 anymore.

Maybe the UK thinks its future is brighter with a closer relationship to the US rather than the UK.

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

No excuses for Johnson now. Somehow he has to deliver Brexit without destroying the UK. 

The result was down to one factor and that factor was Jeremy Corbyn (more than Brexit).

51 minutes ago, balticus said:

Who thinks that and who wrote that?

Not me.

2 hours ago, balticus said:

Merkel will need to make concessions to Boris or face carmageddon

Then what do you mean by "carmageddon"?

The dictionary definition for armageddon is:   a dramatic and catastrophic conflict, typically seen as likely to destroy the world or the human race.

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

Then what do you mean by "carmageddon"?

The dictionary definition for armageddon is:   a dramatic and catastrophic conflict, typically seen as likely to destroy the world or the human race.

Risks to a customer base which makes up 20% of the export share could be pretty severe.  

Might not be a great idea to try and continue "punishing" the UK for brexiting.

3 hours ago, murphaph said:

Somehow he has to deliver Brexit without destroying the UK

Are you sure that this worries him?  Probably not very high on his agenda.