Brexit: The fallout

11,186 posts in this topic

Boris Johnson snatched away a reporter's phone after he challenged the prime minister to look at a picture of a 4-year-old boy who was forced to sleep on a hospital floor,

The bizarre incident saw the prime minister, who refused to look at the photo, grab the reporter's phone and put it in his pocket for part of the interview.

The boy, Jack Williment-Barr, was reportedly forced to lie on a pile of coats in a hospital in Leeds, while waiting for more than four hours to be seen for suspected pneumonia.

Johnson said he had "every sympathy" for the child, whose picture was revealed by the Daily Mirror on Monday, but refused to look at the picture and then took it from the reporter and put it in his pocket.

After being pushed repeatedly by ITV News' Joe Pike, he added that "It's a terrible, terrible picture and I apologise of course to the family."

Responding to the footage, Shadow Health Secretary Jonathan Ashworth said: 

"Refusing to even look at an image of a child suffering because of Conservative cuts to the NHS is a new low for Boris Johnson. It's clear he could not care less.

"Don't give this disgrace of a man five more years of driving our NHS into the ground. Sick toddlers like Jack deserve so much better."

6 hours ago, fraufruit said:

And on the same day he said this...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/boris-johnson-eu-migrants-immigration-britain-general-election-a9238941.html

So he`s made the Brexit crowd happy so why should they worry what he is for a person.

Brexit has become so divisive that a lot of voters don`t care about any other policies,all that matters is Brexit and whichever party promises that will get their vote.

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

Brexit has become so divisive that a lot of voters don`t care about any other policies,all that matters is Brexit and whichever party promises that will get their vote.

Its the second referendum so many people want. And yet again Jeremy dithers and hands it to leave.

45 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Its the second referendum so many people want. And yet again Jeremy dithers and hands it to leave.

Oh!  THAT Jeremy.  Mumble mumble Corbyn mumble mumble huh!

Cringe!  Latest Conservative campaign ad...

Latest polls from London is not looking good.

Kensington, constituency voting intention:

CON: 39% (+3)

LAB: 29% (+2)

LDEM: 27% (-6)

GRN: 2% (-)

BREX: 2% (+2)

Labour and Lib Dem totally split,

Finchley & Golders Green, constituency voting intention:

CON: 46% (-)

LDEM: 34% (+2)

LAB: 19% (-)

Again Lib Dem and Labour Split.

Cities of London & Westminster, constituency voting intention:

CON: 44% (+5)

LDEM: 28% (-5)

LAB: 26% (-)

GRN: 1% (-)

Again Lib Dem Labour Split.

But aren't all 3 Tory strongholds? You need to look at the swing seats and the areas that voted to remain.

4 minutes ago, French bean said:

But aren't all 3 Tory strongholds? You need to look at the swing seats and the areas that voted to remain.

Tory stronghold but all 3 voted for Remain.

The problem is that Labour and the Lib Dem are splitting the remain vote.

The Tories have the leave vote in the bag.

8 hours ago, zwiebelfisch said:

JC is pro-leave anyway.

45 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

The problem is that Labour and the Lib Dem are splitting the remain vote.

As is Labour as a whole (pro leave).

One can wonder why the pound is currently at such a high level compared to the Euro.

This is because "the markets" are sure that BoJo will win and believe that JC would be a worse disaster for the economy than BoJo - thats saying something.

2 hours ago, French bean said:

Ok, result of the polls not such a big shock.

All 3 constituencies are MPs who defected to the Lib Dems.

3 hours ago, emkay said:

Cringe!  Latest Conservative campaign ad...

CRINGE is right!  But I'm particularly impressed if/that the British viewing public has the attention span to watch the whole commercial and read through the cards.  WOW!  I just can't imagine that across the pond.

21 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

CRINGE is right!  But I'm particularly impressed if/that the British viewing public has the attention span to watch the whole commercial and read through the cards.

Attention to watch is one thing (sitting and watching crap TV is popular in the UK), but attention to detail would be better. Particularly the card: "(If Parliament doesn't block it again)", which should more accurately be understood as: "If I don't decide to remove my own deal again (after Parliament has just voted it through)"

It's odd at the moment, as I'm feeling resigned to the idiocy of a Tory majority, but I know that by Thursday I will have developed a wrongly-placed sense sense of optimism (I'm actually going to be back in London on Thursday too), which will be crushed by midnight. I tend to share this guy's view on how things will pan out on TV:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/dec/10/the-baddies-are-going-to-win-again-a-brutally-honest-guide-to-election-night-tv

Dumb Question? Is this an actual TV commercial or a parody like an SNL skit.  I dont watch TV and am a bit clueless about these things.

36 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

CRINGE is right!  But I'm particularly impressed if/that the British viewing public has the attention span to watch the whole commercial and read through the cards.  WOW!  I just can't imagine that across the pond.

I'm just imagining him showing a completely different set of cards...

"Say it's the carol singers"

"You're a cracking looking bint"

"How'd you like a big dollop of Boris?"

It is also quite telling, that when their supposed Tory couple hear that there are carol singers at the door, the response is, "give them a quid and tell them to b@gger off". That must be the lovely, generous and thoughtful Big Society the Tories want to create. Thanks for walking around spreading Xmas cheer and singing to me, now here's enough money for you to buy one first class stamp between you (provided you don't use a big envelope), and f@ck off before I call the police.