Brexit: The fallout

11,768 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

5de8c3477a016_whopperbus.jpg.3c885524e70

Makes no sense! The statement is true?!!

Boris Johnson's Brexit envoy to US resigns with furious attack on government 'peddling half-truths'

The lead Brexit envoy in the UK's embassy in Washington has resigned, saying she can no longer "peddle half-truths" on behalf of political leaders she does not trust.

Alexandra Hall Hall sent a resignation letter earlier this week, warning that there were increasing demands being placed on civil servants not to be "fully honest" with the public.

It comes as leaked internal documents show there will be customs checks and controls between Great Britain and Northern Ireland, despite claims by Boris Johnson that there would not be..

The Government has also been forced to issue a series of denials that aspects relating to the NHS would be on the table in US trade talks despite some evidence that meetings are already taking place.

A spokesperson for the Foreign Office confirmed the news, first reported by CNN, and said: “We won’t comment on the detail of an individual’s resignation.”

In her resignation letter Ms Hall Hall said the Government's approach had undermined the British diplomats' position abroad and that for her the situation had become "unbearable personally" and "untenable professionally".

"I have been increasingly dismayed by the way in which our political leaders have tried to deliver Brexit, with reluctance to address honestly, even with our own citizens, the challenges and trade-offs which Brexit involves; the use of misleading or disingenuous arguments about the implications of the various options before us; and some behaviour towards our institutions, which, were it happening in another country, we would almost certainly as diplomats have received instructions to register our concern," she wrote in her letter, dated December 3.

A woman/diplomat/person of influence with principles, Wulfrun. Make her Prime Minister!

1 hour ago, HEM said:

How can one be a "Brexit Envoy" in the first place?

I just googled it and there is nothing about what a Brexit Envoy is or does just various stories about them.

7 hours ago, HEM said:

Plenty in Labour also believe that Brexit is a good idea.  Just depends on which flavour of Brexit.

Yep Brexit is being driven by the far right but it`s not a far right ideal at all.

What is a far right ideal, Keleth, re Brexit? What is the far left position? Also Brexit? I tend to lean toward´s HEM´s opinion from 7 hours ago.

I sometimes dip into the Morning Star and it´s Jeremy this and Jeremy that...I am of his generation and can follow his drift. I was very left wing in the 70s and 80s. NOT anti-Left wing now...I think I would even vote for Labour now ( people these days forget you´re not voting for a President in the UK  but for a constituent MP in your local area but , of course, the upcoming PM is a massive factor. )

But I am equally skeptical about the whole new generation of politicians..too many professional politicians without experience of the real world.

I mean, how can a Defence Minister with no experience of war or the military be in charge of that department?

Or how can an Education Secretary suddenly be switched to being  in charge of education if they were previously in  charge of eg Finance or Housing?

It beggars belief. And that goes for all political parties.

Just watched the news where they showed bits of the debate between BoJo and Corbyn. BoJo said that with Brexit he will lower the VAT on tampons. Hmm, clever. He will get many female voters behind him :).

11 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Just watched the news where they showed bits of the debate between BoJo and Corbyn. BoJo said that with Brexit he will lower the VAT on tampons. Hmm, clever. He will get many female voters behind him :).

Do you really think women are that stupid? B)

25 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Do you really think women are that stupid? B)

No, but I think he thinks that women are just that stupid!

11 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Great way to win the support of late night comedians.  

22 hours ago, HEM said:

How can one be a "Brexit Envoy" in the first place?

Under this tory government anything's possible, well except them ever telling the truth...