Brexit: The fallout

10,912 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

Morgan and Hancock are completely shameless sellouts.

 

It's how the party works though - look at how many were against Maastricht but ultimately went along with it "for the sake of the party". It's the same here, there were a lot of people who were/are against Brexit, but go along with it "for the sake of the party".

 

Of course you can say that being pro-remain and anti-Maastricht are two totally different positions and you'd be right, but the idea of shelving your views and accepting whatever the party leader tells you to accept, is the same. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to see that the Brexit Party are recruiting only the brightest and best.

 

 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/25/harry-dunn-family-urge-voters-to-unseat-dominic-raab

 

Will be pleased to see the back of this bloke come 13 December.  

Remember, the Brexit secretary who just discovered how close Dover was to Calais.  

 

Or this announcement from his then position as Brexit Secretary 

https://twitter.com/los_fisher/status/1020947108365467648?lang=en

 

Hoping the good voters of Esher and Walton do their duty.  

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, alexunterwegs said:

Will be pleased to see the back of this bloke come 13 December.  
 

Hoping the good voters of Esher and Walton do their duty.  

 

Fingers crossed this happens. He has looked a complete stooge in this, and for him to threaten the family like he has done recently is shocking

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone else catch the two-hour Question Time special with the four party leaders last week? If so, what did you think? I thought that Jeremy Corbyn and Nicola Sturgeon performed best and answered their questions most ably, wasn't all that impressed with Jo Swinson unfortunately, had hoped she'd do better, and thought Boris Johnson was as full of flimflam as expected, though noticed that he got a cheer from the audience on arriving and leaving, so wonder if he'll win the election on personality anyway rather than substance.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Lorelei said:

Did anyone else catch the two-hour Question Time special with the four party leaders last week? If so, what did you think? I thought that Jeremy Corbyn and Nicola Sturgeon performed best and answered their questions most ably, wasn't all that impressed with Jo Swinson unfortunately, had hoped she'd do better, and thought Boris Johnson was as full of flimflam as expected, though noticed that he got a cheer from the audience on arriving and leaving, so wonder if he'll win the election on personality anyway rather than substance.

 

That was pretty much my impression. 

 

Also disappointed that the Conservatives did not publish their manifesto in advance of the event.  Disappointed but not surprised.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lorelei said:

Did anyone else catch the two-hour Question Time special with the four party leaders last week? If so, what did you think? I thought that Jeremy Corbyn and Nicola Sturgeon performed best and answered their questions most ably, wasn't all that impressed with Jo Swinson unfortunately, had hoped she'd do better, and thought Boris Johnson was as full of flimflam as expected, though noticed that he got a cheer from the audience on arriving and leaving, so wonder if he'll win the election on personality anyway rather than substance.

 

I didn't see it, but I've heard similar things. What is disappointing is that so far, Boris Johnson seems to be able to get away with saying or doing almost anything, and people still cheer for him and want to tick that Tory box.

 

I also note that Nicky Morgan had her "Dianne Abbot" moment with numbers this morning, and it seems to have barely registered.

 

Despite Boris only being able to parrot "Get Brexit done!", "Dither and Delay", and "Corbyn is the only chlorinated chicken", the latest projections seem to suggest 340-350 seats for the Conservatives, well above the 326 and no DUP to placate this time around.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe but Boris only has a 5,000 and Uxbridge voted to remain in the referendum, so with lots of young people registering to vote for the first time he may be out through tactical voting. He can't then be PM.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Mackle said:

... What is disappointing is that so far, Boris Johnson seems to be able to get away with saying or doing almost anything, and people still cheer for him and want to tick that Tory box.

 

Yes I agree.  We also saw the same thing with Trump.  Seems people don't care, as long as you support their point of view!

 

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, French bean said:

Maybe but Boris only has a 5,000 and Uxbridge voted to remain in the referendum, so with lots of young people registering to vote for the first time he may be out through tactical voting. He can't then be PM.

We live in hope...

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/11/2019, 18:20:10, dj_jay_smith said:

 

Yes I agree.  We also saw the same thing with Trump.  Seems people don't care, as long as you support their point of view!

 

 

 

 

But Trump didn't have the majority of the votes gerrymandering won it for him

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://comparethetacticals.com/

 

This chart (allegedly) shows who to vote for tactically if you just want to try and stop Brexit via a Peoples Vote. 

I don't know who the guy is who compiled it, but it appears to tally with what you can cross-reference by the individual tactical voting sites.

It is being constantly updated as more research is done.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funnily enough, post arrived onto the ground  of our office patio today and there was a letter from the British Ambassador in Berlin re what I should undertake to secure my rights in Germany. 

Haven’t read it yet but - ah, now I know why I got it - forwarded from the Einwohnermeldeamt in Hamburg. Just looked at it. 

 

This Brexit stuff is a major reason why we MIGHT have to move back to Germany from Crete- I am registered there with my business licence. And God knows ( though I haven’t asked God yet ) what will happen if I lose my residence rights there- even if I am not resident there, so to speak...

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now