Brexit: The fallout

11,729 posts in this topic

Oh, come on... referenda are flawed, so we mustn't have another one, whilst respecting the WILL OF THE PEOPLE that the first one obviously reflected?

Don't you find that convoluted logic just the least bit disingenuous?

If another referendum were held and it was agreed ahead of time that it would be binding and the electorate were clearly told everything that Brexit would entail, both positive and negative, and then the result was Leave, I would respect that. But everything that has happened so far - and indeed continues to happen - has been an omnishambles (to quote the British media; I prefer "shitshow") that is making a mockery of democracy.

7 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Oh, come on... referenda are flawed, so we mustn't have another one, whilst respecting the WILL OF THE PEOPLE that the first one obviously reflected?

Im not fundamentally against it, Im against cooking the books with a vote splitting referendum.  If someone supports a deal vs no deal referendum then sure, I respect that.  But if its just "shit, wrong answer lets try again" then no. 

Im personally effected by Brexit, I voted remain.  But I respect that my side lost.  Had my side won, there is no chance in hell Id support a second referendum, and frankly I dont believe for a second that you would either.

Whether you or I support it is irrelevant. As I've posted in this thread many times, Farage and the other leading Brexiteers were already promising another referendum in case of a close decision, the people that matter actually did support a second referendum when it looked like they were going to lose.

And again, as I've posted in this thread many times, I find it fundamentally dishonest and undemocratic to take the results of a referendum that was advertised to all as NON-BINDING as evidence that Brexit is the unstoppable will of the people, based on a decision by 37.5% of the people (17.4 million, from a total electorate of 46.5 million). That's not even mentioning the 350 million pounds/week that would go to the NHS and other lies told during the campaign.

Of course there will be lies in a second referendum campaign, too, but not regarding the key factor: the importance of the outcome. It must be clear that the referendum result will count. That I can respect. Anything else is a farce.

19 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

But if its just "shit, wrong answer lets try again" then no. 

Isn`t that exactly what a GE is though or why bother voting every 4 years ?

25 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Had my side won, there is no chance in hell Id support a second referendum, and frankly I dont believe for a second that you would either.

Probably not.

However the referendum was done without anyone actually knowing the consequences which could well be severe for the whole county.

Bit of a rant..

Part of me wants the UK to leave without a deal and hope that it goes totally tits up for them so the gobby shites have to suffer.

The fact that Brexit is being championed by Tories make me hope that it does not happen.

A party that gave us Thatcher and the rise of the right wing tabloids decided to get even worse by championing a policy that is actually responsible for the deaths of people (Austerity) and then turn around and try to blame everything on the EU.

It is downright shameful to me if anyone actually votes Tory just because of Brexit.

No one with even the slightest conscience should vote Tory.They are an absolutely shameful party who prey on the poor and weak.

The only problem is Labour is an absolute fucking shambles and I have a feeling the Lib Dems and Brexit party may get more votes than them.

What also worries me (makes me laugh actually) is if they can`t really decide on what sort of Brexit to have then how the fuck are they going to do anything after Brexit is (if) done.

I believe personally that the UK is fucked whether Brexit  happens or not  or how it happens.

Jonson and the Torys will blame everyone else because they weren`t quick enough about getting it done or if it doesn`t get done then they will blame everyone else for that too.

49 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Isn`t that exactly what a GE is though or why bother voting every 4 years ?

If we can have another Gen Election 2 years after the last one, why can't we have another Referendum  3.5 years after the last one?  People are either allowed to change their minds or they're not. 

https://thebrexitparty.com/

This has to be one of the funniest stunts I've seen for a long time. Somebody (agressively Anti-Brexit) bought up the domain name thebrexitparty.com and is using it to embarass Farage and Co. But also offering it to him to buy back for £1 million with the price rising. All proceeds to be donated to an immigrants charity.  Has put Nigel in a bit of a pickle.  Should he buy it back and look a bit of an idiot or just let them carry on. Apparently Farage has got his lawyers onto the case.

Anyway, couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke!  

1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

Whether you or I support it is irrelevant. As I've posted in this thread many times, Farage and the other leading Brexiteers were already promising another referendum in case of a close decision, the people that matter actually did support a second referendum when it looked like they were going to lose.

And again, as I've posted in this thread many times, I find it fundamentally dishonest and undemocratic to take the results of a referendum that was advertised to all as NON-BINDING as evidence that Brexit is the unstoppable will of the people, based on a decision by 37.5% of the people (17.4 million, from a total electorate of 46.5 million). That's not even mentioning the 350 million pounds/week that would go to the NHS and other lies told during the campaign.

Of course there will be lies in a second referendum campaign, too, but not regarding the key factor: the importance of the outcome. It must be clear that the referendum result will count. That I can respect. Anything else is a farce.

when will this foreign interference ever stop!

1 hour ago, alexunterwegs said:

If we can have another Gen Election 2 years after the last one, why can't we have another Referendum  3.5 years after the last one?  People are either allowed to change their minds or they're not. 

Um that was my point

15 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

5dd6b756ac199_tightshipwreck.jpg.df156d5rr.png.6864341cfceba8d9069a581c52b66858.

Thought I saw that pose somewhere before! Who would you rather have as PM??

1 hour ago, dom said:

Thought I saw that pose somewhere before! Who would you rather have as PM??

A friend of mine on FB also compared it to  a Benny Hill 'salute'

On 15/11/2019, 17:29:04, murphaph said:

Just got my postal vote, more efficient compared to the last (Euro) election which was relatively late. So not worried whether I'll be able to submit my vote before the December 12th deadline.