Brexit: The fallout

10,947 posts in this topic

Interestingly, she notes that she just had this debate with her son.

Presumably paying for his private education has caused some friction in the Abbott household.

With stupid people like her´, Keleth..no wonder the Tories look set..maybe. 

2 hours ago, alexunterwegs said:

Not very clever of the EU if they go ahead fining the UK in advance of the Gen Election. That's unless they really want to get shot of us! 

In the meantime that would be understandable.

If you think about it - there are many similarities between the UK's Brexit & Germany's "Energiewende".

Lots of promises, claims it will not cost (or at least not much), that everything will be OK & the respective country is racing towards the abyss with basically no plan..

13 hours ago, Mackle said:

Didn't she have a relationship with Corbyn in the 70s or 80s?

Yes, and it seems from the way it was reported that he intentionally had people how up "unexpectedly" while she was naked in bed so he could show off his black girlfriend. 

Link (amongst many other similar): https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/03/22/revealed-jeremy-corbyn-showed-off-naked-diane-abbott-to-impress/

12 hours ago, HEM said:

If you think about it - there are many similarities between the UK's Brexit & Germany's "Energiewende".

Lots of promises, claims it will not cost (or at least not much), that everything will be OK & the respective country is racing towards the abyss with basically no plan..

I am not sure about that no plan bit for Germany. So far Germans have always surprised me with having detailed planning before even starting the discussion.

Just now, Wherearewegoingto said:

I am not sure about that no plan bit for Germany. So far Germans have always surprised me with having detailed planning before even starting the discussion.

Germany does have a plan for the Energiewende. They will import atomic energy from France and Poland.

22 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Germany does have a plan for the Energiewende. They will import atomic energy from France and Poland.

Interesting, I thought the idea of dropping nuclear power was because it was a danger if something goes wrong. I suppose Germany has a way of using wind farms to fan any fallout from a nuclear accident around the country.

2 hours ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Exactly!

A current fallout of the ongoing Brexit experience is the upcoming UK general election.

I will have the privilege of voting again in the Peoples' Republic of Poplar and Limehouse.  I was working on the ongoing assumption of something being rotten in the heart of Tower Hamlets and my vote not really having an impact one way or the other. I see now that it is all change here and I need to look at the runners and riders in closer detail.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an overview website for constituency level in general? Then I can move onto the local specifics myself.

On the very slight offchance that there are fellow Poplar and Limehouse voters on Toytown, I would be happy to read views of any flavors. This does seem to be a pretty unique constellation of circumstances and an interesting, to me at least, viewpoint on post referendum UK.

54 minutes ago, john g. said:

I don‘t know about Poplar, Kommentarlos , but here‘s a fairly interesting opinion article in the Guardian today.

Labour‘s plans more Scandinavia rather than Venezuela?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/19/labour-programme-utilities-rail-full-fibre-capitalism

Intersting, thanks. I found this older Guardian article whilst looking for information and thought I should start informing myself / getting myself up to date: 

.https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/07/i-never-thought-of-myself-as-anything-other-than-european-voxpop-brexit-tower-hamlets-young-people

Since then the labour incumbent supported Theresa May and is no longer standing.  All change and Momentum is now in ascendancy.

Just had an email from someone applying to be a German in Berlin. Currently not German , of course.. . .

Berlin Mitte want proof of occupational disability insurance.

Opinion: absurd. It is not a statutory requirement  for Germans to have Berufsunfähigkeitsversicherung or similar.

But anyway

32 minutes ago, john g. said:

Just had an email from someone applying to be a German in Berlin. Currently not German , of course.. . .

Opinion: absurd. It is not a statutory requirement  for Germans to have Berufsunfähigkeitsversicherung or similar.

But anyway

Is this person self employed? Are they looking for a loophole for a missing Rentenversicherungsverlauf or equivelent?

Self-employed and not paying into Rentenversicherung because not required according to current profession.

Don´t know why this is in bold...must have pressed the wrong button...cream in eyes

:(:(

It just seems a requirement. Had an example recently of a Brit who is also trying to become a German..they also want occupational disability insurance but the client has so many pre-existing medical conditions...shit. No chance.

Another example: non-EU, non-German. Berlin, for the client´s application to stay in Germany and who has opened a company and can create jobs. Berlin want X amount of guaranteed pension from age of 67.

Stupid, stupid.

PS: pressed the wrong button again..no longer bold...conjunctivitis or something..jeez

46 minutes ago, john g. said:

Although it may not be a requirement for all Germans, anyone who has fulfilled the public pension Wartezeit is eligible for a disability pension. 

4 minutes ago, john g. said:

Self-employed and not paying into Rentenversicherung because not required according to current profession.

Don´t know why this is in bold...must have pressed the wrong button...cream in eyes

:(:(

It just seems a requirement. Had an example recently of a Brit who is also trying to become a German..they also want occupational disability insurance but the client has so many pre-existing medical conditions...shit. No chance.

Another example: non-EU, non-German. Berlin, for the client´s application to stay in Germany and who has opened a company and can create jobs. Berlin want X amount of guaranteed pension from age of 67.

Stupid, stupid.

I think the requirement makes sense and is fair. Self-employed foreigners who are neither paying into the public pension nor health insurance systems should have to demonstrate that they are making private provisions for those risks. There needs to be limits on freeloading.

12 minutes ago, john g. said:

It just seems a requirement. 

i think the requirement on application is not to give cause for concern that you are going to be a burden in the future to the German state. Appropriate pension provision is a big part of this requirement. If you are already German then the state (i.e. the German taxpayer) just has to suck it up. 

21 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Although it may not be a requirement for all Germans, anyone who has fulfilled the public pension Wartezeit is eligible for a disability pension. 

I think the requirement makes sense and is fair. Self-employed foreigners who are neither paying into the public pension nor health insurance systems should have to demonstrate that they are making private provisions for those risks. There needs to be limits on freeloading.

https://www.gunnpartner.com/articles/Occupational-Disability-Insurance

I had a call yesterday from a Betreuererin of a client of mine

from about 20 years ago. I remember the client´s name.  We met and she was shocked when I said she reminded me of my ex.wife. She was almost a Doppelgänger! The client has ended up in a Pflegeheim and has to sell her Altersvorsorge plan to pay for the Heim.

engelchen: I think you are young. Good for you! I wish I were!

And, you know, try being an American, Canadian or Brazilian or Nigerian on a limited residence permit and wanting to stay - qualified, family commitments etc...how easy is it to actually get a Berufsunfähigkeitsversicherung or  similar? NOT.