Brexit: The fallout

10,944 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Keleth said:

Seriously though how fucked is the UK right at this moment.

On 1 side we have an antisemite who couldn`t run a bath facing off against a racist bigot for who is going to run the country.

FFS how did it get this bad.

This is how low UK politics has sunk, when an MP convicted of fraud shrugs his shoulders and says "Yes, so what".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-50396788

1 hour ago, john g. said:

Another issue..who would want to teach in a school in the UK? ( Especially in England..maybe ? ).

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/nov/13/why-british-teachers-fleeing-overseas-international-schools

There was a report on the local radio RLP I think yesterday laying into the quality of teaching and also the quality of teachers, basically it was saying it's all bad and a lot of teachers are just not competent enough. Having moved our daughter out of one school because of disciplinary issues, we are now finding the same in the new school and what's worse, they haven't got enough teachers. We're in RLP. So the problem isn't just in the UK but seems to be a general reflection on how poor society has become.

Some Council by elections yesterday.

Culverden (Tunbridge Wells) result:

LDEM: 46.7% (+33.5)

CON: 24.9% (-19.1)

WEP: 10.2% (+10.2)

TWA: 9.5% (+9.5)

LAB: 5.2% (-14.3)

GRN: 3.5% (-7.5)

Huge Swing to the Lib Dems,

Cumbria was also interesting,

Shap (Eden) result:

LDEM: 48.5% (+17.3)

CON: 33.8% (-17.4)

PCF: 17.7% (+0.1)

Wales

Rhos (Neath Port Talbot) result:

PC: 53.9% (+23.1)

CON: 24.3% (+0.8)

LAB: 21.8% (-23.9)

Only local elections but looks like the vote of Labour and the Tories could collapse come election night.

"Australia and others ask for Brexit trade compensation"

Countries including Australia have asked for trade compensation from the UK and the EU over Brexit disruption.

Fifteen countries, including the US, India and New Zealand, have been setting out Brexit concerns at a World Trade Organization (WTO) meeting in Geneva.

Australian officials said their beef and lamb exporters had already been hit after several Brexit delays.

Brazil said Brexit plans for Northern Ireland could breach WTO rules.

BBC

Brexit Party parliamentary candidate for Tynemouth revealed - and he lives in Australia

When asked why he wanted to stand in the Labour seat in the North East he said: “I have a great fondness for the North East, having spent so much time working in the North Sea on oil rigs ( he lived in Aberdeen) and I drove through Tynemouth once.”
He has lived near Perth - Australia for the last 30 years.
He later said he would buy a house in the Constituency if he became the MP.

File under "you couldn't make it up!"

6 minutes ago, john_b said:

Brexit Party parliamentary candidate for Tynemouth revealed - and he lives in Australia

When asked why he wanted to stand in the Labour seat in the North East he said: “I have a great fondness for the North East, having spent so much time working in the North Sea on oil rigs ( he lived in Aberdeen) and I drove through Tynemouth once.”
He has lived near Perth - Australia for the last 30 years.
He later said he would buy a house in the Constituency if he became the MP.

File under "you couldn't make it up!"

So, live outside the country for 15 years and you don't get to vote - but live outside the country for 30 years and you can still stand for office?

WTF?

5 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

So, live outside the country for 15 years and you don't get to vote - but live outside the country for 30 years and you can still stand for office?

WTF?

More daft are any people voting for him. 

5 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

WTF?

Shillary Clinton / JFK are "New Yorkers", right?  🙄

11 minutes ago, balticus said:

On 13/11/2019, 16:46:02, Keleth said:

Seriously though how fucked is the UK right at this moment.

On 1 side we have an antisemite who couldn`t run a bath facing off against a racist bigot for who is going to run the country.

FFS how did it get this bad.

Well at least they lived on the same continent.

29 minutes ago, balticus said:

This appears to be a thing all over the world.

However not coming from your district is not quite the same as living in a different country.

It is interesting to notice how all the parties are setting out their sweet shops...freebies here, billions there...politicians promising.

I can´t remember the exact joke way back then when Harold Wilson became the British PM under Labour.

Something along the lines of someone asking his wife if her love life had changed since he became PM and she replied: " you know politicians...promises, promises... "

Police assessing claims that Tories offered peerages to Brexit party

Scotland Yard is assessing two allegations of electoral fraud after claims the Tories offered peerages to senior Brexit party figures to persuade them to stand down in the general election.

The Labour peer Lord Falconer has written to the Metropolitan police commissioner and director of public prosecutions calling for an investigation into what he said were “exceptionally serious allegations”.

He said it should be investigated as a matter of urgency and must be looked at by police in order to maintain public confidence in the integrity of the election.

His letter to Cressida Dick and Max Hill QC refers to Nigel Farage’s claim that he and eight other senior figures within the Brexit party were offered peerages.

2 minutes ago, hooperski said:

And just when Boris thought things couldn't get any worse for him ... 

You think a big fine from the eu is going to harm mr Brexit a few days before the election many see as a referendum on eu membership?

I'd say it's a gift to him

22 hours ago, zwiebelfisch said:

You think a big fine from the eu is going to harm mr Brexit a few days before the election many see as a referendum on eu membership?

I'd say it's a gift to him

Not very clever of the EU if they go ahead fining the UK in advance of the Gen Election. That's unless they really want to get shot of us! 

On 13/11/2019, 10:31:45, dom said:

HOWEVER, how someone like Diane Abbott got to the high ranks in the party is beyond me! Don't they do aptitude tests or something?

Didn't she have a relationship with Corbyn in the 70s or 80s? But she's also been a big supporter of his since he first put his name in the hat for leader, so I guess it's her loyalty being rewarded too.

Rightly or wrongly, she is someone who at least these days, seems to be involved in her fair share of gaffs and errors, and gets really pillared for it.

35 minutes ago, Mackle said:

Didn't she have a relationship with Corbyn in the 70s or 80s? But she's also been a big supporter of his since he first put his name in the hat for leader, so I guess it's her loyalty being rewarded too.

Rightly or wrongly, she is someone who at least these days, seems to be involved in her fair share of gaffs and errors, and gets really pillared for it.

Read somewhere that Abbot had said that Mao did more good than bad which I couldn`t believe someone would say about a man responsible for killing millions of people.

But bugger me there it is on youtube..

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB4o5n2EGyA"