Brexit: The fallout

11,775 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Clive2677 said:

Anyway, to lighten things up a bit..

49EBD25E-8F87-4178-BCA8-9CEC94FC8CFC.jpeg

That reminds me of the joke about an old man wandering into an old folks´ home..great joke but off topic!!! And risqué these days!!:lol:

So the general Election ahead of Brexit is on and today is the start of the campaign. it reminds me of the 60's and 70's. The Tories trying to bribe the electorate with tax cuts and give aways and Labour promising to nationalise everything. We've had 40 years of social economic upheavel through Thatcher's policies, 2 massive recessions, the second as bad if not worse than the Depression and then Dave the Comedian's austerity and we seem to be right back where we were before it all. Was it all worth it?

In case anyone missed it, Dominic Grieve asked an urgent question in the commons yesterday about a report (which he has seen) into Russian interference in (among other things) the UK electoral process. The report has been waiting for the PM's approval to publish a redacted version. Normally this approval happens within 10 days of the report being cleared for publication by the security services. It's been much longer and now parliament is dissolved it won't be released until after the election, hence the urgent question yesterday.

I saw this interview last night with George Osborne. Pretty interesting if you have time.

(I see that is just a clip. Looking for the whole interview.)

I can't find the whole interview yet. Will keep trying.

2 hours ago, Bomo said:

This link will be of interest to those interested in S1, future pension payments and student fees. Good to know that there are people out there challenging the UK gov on expat rights.

https://www.ecreu.com/pdfs/ecreu-news-autumn-19.pdf

Well done to this Tory MP, along with several from other parties, who have not forgotten us.  He's up against Gove and Co who is a very slick operator and ideological Brexiteer, so I'm not overly optimistic of much success.  

Up to now Government ministers have spun a line that its all the fault of the EU states that have blocked agreements, which is rubbish where it involves funding from the UK.  They could fund those effected directly. 

On 11/5/2019, 12:34:19, BMurphy said:

anti-Catholic bigots

contradiction in terms!

18 minutes ago, dom said:

contradiction in terms!

Not really. And given the long history of anti-Catholic bigotry, prejudice and discrimination in the UK, you really ought to know better. Any anyway I thought all you Remainers were ultra-tolerant liberals who would never make negative statements about people of a particular religion, race or nationality? Or does that only apply to Muslims, Blacks and other privileged groups? Looks like some traditions (i.e. anti-Catholicism) are slow to die out in Old Blighty!

5 minutes ago, BMurphy said:

Or does that only apply to Muslims, Blacks and other privileged groups? 

So now the oppressed are privileged?

12 minutes ago, Krieg said:

So now the oppressed are privileged?

How exactly are Muslims and Blacks in the UK oppressed? If you knew anything about British history, you would know that Catholics suffered far greater state oppression than either of these two groups. Ever heard of penal law (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penal_law_(British))?

34 minutes ago, BMurphy said:

How exactly are Muslims and Blacks in the UK oppressed? If you knew anything about British history, you would know that Catholics suffered far greater state oppression than either of these two groups. Ever heard of penal law (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penal_law_(British))?

You are saying that some old law against (white) Catholics is comparable to what the black people at the same era had to go through?  black people were SLAVES.   

I reckon I don't know enough about Brit history, but your argument seems pretty poor.