Brexit: The fallout

11,832 posts in this topic

Dear RF, dear post contributors,

It has just come to my attention that "Brexit: The farce" already exists on facebook! To avoid any condemnation of plagurism, we should change our topic title again (thanks RF!!)

So here is the 1st call for title nominations! And here's mine:

"Brexit  - the f-arse" :P

The news that the banks are relocating from London to Frankfurt is bad news for the economy, but at least now you will be able get a seat on the tube.

So, every cloud...

9 hours ago, hooperski said:

The news that the banks are relocating from London to Frankfurt is bad news for the economy, but at least now you will be able get a seat on the tube.

So, every cloud...

Yep, the sad thing is that a lot of British people see this as a good thing as at last London will also feel the pain.

That is the view around where I am from (from those I know and have contact to). When people are more interested in other people losing things that what they themselves have, there is not much you can do.

Comes down to an old article I read about the difference between the UK and the US, way back in the 80's.

An american sees a guy doing really well in life, good job, great car, big house -

US: One day I am going to have that as well. I will work until I get it.

UK: Twat, he's left his car, go get my keys...

If people cannot see the funding issue with the NHS and see what losing billions in tax revenue will add ot that, there is not much you can do.

NHS money is not an issue, soon they will start saving a bunch of millions in EU-tax and they will send that money to the NHS. I saw it in a giant poster in a bus in London.

1 hour ago, cb6dba said:

If people cannot see the funding issue with the NHS and see what losing billions in tax revenue will add ot that, there is not much you can do.

Talking about the NHS...there is a documentary on the BBC at the moment called "Hospital". The first 2 episodes so far have seemingly focused on the problems the NHS are having. specifically for this one hospital...bed availability. The hospital is seemingly operating constantly at an unsafe capacity...it's full. SPOILER ALERT: They showed a patient waiting to get surgery...complicated surgery that required months of planning to get all the expert surgeons together at the same time. Then the day came and they all waited and waited, but no ICU bed became available and the surgery was cancelled. At the same time they were showing a story of a homeless polish guy who could not speak English who they were unable to discharge from hospital for many days, despite him being fit enough. It is clear what the agenda is behind this documentary.

In any case, I believe the NHS system simply is not able to cope with open border immigration. It's fundamentally just not able to work when there are big influxes of people. It would need a German style system in order to improve again. But the NHS is nowadays completely ingrained in what it means to be British. So I can completely understand how the Brexit vote happened. I hope, at least as far as the NHS is concerned, that Brexit can help the situation in the future (despite the, now obvious, lies spread during the campaign about how much money the NHS would get in the case of Brexit).

21 minutes ago, theGman said:

the NHS is nowadays completely ingrained in what it means to be British

I'm glad you mentioned this, because it seems to me that the UK is the only country hanging on to things that no longer make sense, because they are ingrained in something to do with being british!!

The NHS has been "falling apart" for decades, and today is, frankly shite!

There seem to be more NHS managers than beds, and the one thing that isn't so bad is the website "NHS choices" because it has as its goal to reduce the number of people using the NHS via self help.

Here the brits would do better to look beyond borders at scandanavia or germany/austria/switzerland to discover that other helathcare systems are working pretty well in comparison.

1 hour ago, cb6dba said:

Yep, the sad thing is that a lot of British people see this as a good thing as at last London will also feel the pain.

This is a good thing and will balance the economy. Wealth will be distributed across the country and not just London.

Banks moving out of London is the best thing that can happen to the UK economy.

It is possible that the UK will have to manufacture its way out of a recession. 

10 hours ago, hooperski said:

So, every cloud...

Let's not forget they were the buggers that caused the financial crisis in 2008 that we are still living with. Let them go and then we can have a proper rebalancing of the economy in the UK such as more manufacturing, less short term investment, development of new ideas and products being kept in the UK rather than sold off to satisfy the banks need for instant return on investment. Oh and the balancing of the economy around the country not just in London.

20 minutes ago, theGman said:

Talking about the NHS...there is a documentary on the BBC at the moment called "Hospital". The first 2 episodes so far have seemingly focused on the problems the NHS are having. specifically for this one hospital...bed availability. The hospital is seemingly operating constantly at an unsafe capacity...it's full. SPOILER ALERT: They showed a patient waiting to get surgery...complicated surgery that required months of planning to get all the expert surgeons together at the same time. Then the day came and they all waited and waited, but no ICU bed became available and the surgery was cancelled. At the same time they were showing a story of a homeless polish guy who could not speak English who they were unable to discharge from hospital for many days, despite him being fit enough. It is clear what the agenda is behind this documentary.

In any case, I believe the NHS system simply is not able to cope with open border immigration. It's fundamentally just not able to work when there are big influxes of people. It would need a German style system in order to improve again. But the NHS is nowadays completely ingrained in what it means to be British. So I can completely understand how the Brexit vote happened. I hope, at least as far as the NHS is concerned, that Brexit can help the situation in the future (despite the, now obvious, lies spread during the campaign about how much money the NHS would get in the case of Brexit).

IMO the real problem with the NHS is political interference ever since Thatcher decided to bring in "choice" and market forces. Just how many times do the politicians need to reinvent the wheel and why do we really need so many administrators and non medical managers (Klingons) on high salaries.

11 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

This is a good thing and will balance the economy. Wealth will be distributed across the country and not just London.

What nonsense. More even distribution of wealth is only a good thing if that´s achieved by lifting wealth in poor areas, not by reducing it in abundant ones. Are you a lefty or what?

2 hours ago, cb6dba said:

That is the view around where I am from (from those I know and have contact to). When people are more interested in other people losing things that what they themselves have, there is not much you can do.

This is analogous to the many in the UK who are not interested in a "good deal" for those Brits who did move to other EU countries - along the lines of why should those pensioners in Portugal be having a good time (& good weather) whilst we back in Blighty are stuck with the cold & rain.

32 minutes ago, jeba said:

What nonsense. More even distribution of wealth is only a good thing if that´s achieved by lifting wealth in poor areas, not by reducing it in abundant ones. Are you a lefty or what?

Lefty has nothing to do with (RF isn't).

It is about a mind set (not including RF in this) that has crept in to certain areas of British society were people look at others and want them to fail.

It is a question of do you make yourself equal or as successful as other by running to catch them up, or dragging them back.

Applying that to the banks, I can understand (do not agree) the dragging them back, 99% of the population have no chance to benefit from that environment directly and so do not see what it brings.

46 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

Applying that to the banks, I can understand (do not agree) the dragging them back, 99% of the population have no chance to benefit from that environment directly and so do not see what it brings.

Sorry but with the banks they repeated the error they made in the 20's, lending the deposit to those who really couldn't afford to have the loan they needed the deposit for, all on the basis that the markets will always climb. The results post 2008 are virtually the same as the 30's. Mass unemployment, savings wiped out, rise of extremism. They have shafted the general population, left the majority poorer and looked after themselves. The majority do not and will not have the chance to benefit from the environment they have created.

Post the Wall St. crash regulation was brought into curtail the greed. Thatcher and Reagen started dismantling that regulation and what a surprise, the same happened again

3 minutes ago, French bean said:

Sorry but with the banks they repeated the error they made in the 20's, lending the deposit to those who really couldn't afford to have the loan they needed the deposit for, all on the basis that the markets will always climb. The results post 2008 are virtually the same as the 30's. Mass unemployment, savings wiped out, rise of extremism. They have shafted the general population, left the majority poorer and looked after themselves. The majority do not and will not have the chance to benefit from the environment they have created.

Post the Wall St. crash regulation was brought into curtail the greed. Thatcher and Reagen started dismantling that regulation and what a surprise, the same happened again

Yes they did.

But if they bring in 66bn in tax (got that form the forum here) and they leave, then it is less tax.

You either accept that (they can screw us but we still need them), make them suffer (and get less tax so it hurts you as well), you increase regulation,  or you create a situation where they leave (which causes a even bigger loss).

It is a shitty world. You make the choice and live with the consequences. However no one mentions the banks, they mention London - a city full of people who others in the country see as doing well. Wanting London to also feel the pain has nothing to do with banks, it has to do with the people working there. 

The banks will not feel pain, they will just move. They are not buying a house or have their kids in school around the corner. Those that work there do. 

Those higher up will just move with the bank, the bank moving will not bother a senior manager. he earns enough to have a house in London and well as anywhere else and will probably get his costs paid if he decides to move the family abroad.

The people the rest of country may want to punish, won't be 

Yes it is Hobson's choice, but at least if we have a more diverse economy and a more balanced economy in London than such things as housing and services become more affordable which in turn benefits the masses. If I remember rightly, Keynes believed that an economy can grow and be succesful if money is spread amongst every one (obviously not equally)and circulated freely. With the banks, we have the opposite, a vast amount of cash holed up and not circulated, the cost of money goes up and becomes unaffordable for business who then at best can't afford to employ more or at worst go bust, such as happened in the 30's.